Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:24 PM   #1
bonskovsky
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Which of us has the best cellular plan?

Unlimited everything.

$55.

I feel like I'm getting the most out of my money. What about you?
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
150 minutes, which I never use.
600 texts, which I never use.
500 MB, which I've had to bump up to 1 GB twice.

~US$29/month. When my contract runs out in November then I'll probably be moving to a different company which offers 2 GB for $12/month, and do voice and text on an as-needed basis.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:36 PM   #3
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a
 
bohbot16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
Unlimited everything.

$55.

I feel like I'm getting the most out of my money. What about you?
Does that plan include a device subsidy, or do you need to pay full price?
What network are you on? What data speeds do you get?

I'm on a 10GB AT&T Mobile Share family plan with 5 iPhones. After a FAN discount and taxes it comes to $275 per month ($55 per phone).
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:37 PM   #4
bonskovsky
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
10 GB for 5 phones is still 2GB per phone and if it's being used together and I was on it, somebody would be SOL. I could use the whole 10 GB myself.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:39 PM   #5
hayden1250
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
60mins + Unlimited calling to same network
Unlimited texts
500mb data

$19.00 NZ a month on Telecom New Zealand.
__________________
21.5 iMac Late 2012 iPad 4 Black iPhone 5S Black Apple TV 3
hayden1250 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:45 PM   #6
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a
 
bohbot16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
Woo wee that's an expensive plan!
It's $55 per phone per month and everyone pays for their phone, so it's not like I'm paying for everyone else. Plus, almost $20 per phone per month of it is due to the device subsidy.

What provider do you use?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
10 GB for 5 phones is still 2GB per phone and if it's being used together and I was on it, somebody would be SOL. I could use the whole 10 GB myself.
Yeah, there could be an issue if we had a different mix of people, but we balance each other out and have never used that much.

I should also mention that the plan has unlimited talk and text and includes tethering.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:45 PM   #7
bonskovsky
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohbot16 View Post
Does that plan include a device subsidy, or do you need to pay full price?
What network are you on? What data speeds do you get?

I'm on a 10GB AT&T Mobile Share family plan with 5 iPhones. After a FAN discount and taxes it comes to $275 per month ($55 per phone).
Ful price for the phone. Data speeds are not up to snuff but remain constant. The signal is okay but could be better.

20 and above are acceptable data speed. I'm getting 2.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:46 PM   #8
C DM
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Sounds like a total apples vs. oranges comparison (no pun intended). There really is no "best" plan overall for everyone, and there's really no single (or even a few) points of measurement--like just monthly price or how many voice minutes or how much data is included--that would really convey how good it really is even for some, let alone for everyone.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:49 PM   #9
bonskovsky
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Sounds like a total apples vs. oranges comparison (no pun intended). There really is no "best" plan overall for everyone, and there's really no single (or even a few) points of measurement--like just monthly price or how many voice minutes or how much data is included--that would really convey how good it really is even for some, let alone for everyone.
I'm convinced there is one cellular plan to rule them all. I feel like a lot of these carriers are swindlers, especially here I mean we don't get no $20 a month plan like overseas.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:50 PM   #10
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a
 
bohbot16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
Ful price for the phone. Data speeds are not up to snuff but remain constant. The signal is okay but could be better.

20 and above are acceptable data speed. I'm getting 2.
That's why I switched from prepaid to my current plan. If you remove the portion of the monthly payment that's the device subsidy it costs $36.25 per phone per month and we have either HSPA+ or LTE speeds depending on where we go.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:53 PM   #11
bonskovsky
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohbot16 View Post
That's why I switched from prepaid to my current plan. If you remove the portion of the monthly payment that's the device subsidy it costs $36.25 per phone per month and we have either HSPA+ or LTE speeds depending on where we go.
Well that was a difficult choice I had to make. Did I want the 1 or 2 GB of LTE, or did I want the relatively slow but unlimited 3G. I have to stay away from data limits I couldn't take that chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohbot16 View Post
I should also mention that the plan has unlimited talk and text and includes tethering.
See, I don't get tethering, that's extra. And with (this is Cricket) they can catch you with a jailbreak tethering, I've gotten caught.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:54 PM   #12
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Current plan:
Sprint SERO
$50 ($57 with taxes) for 500 day, unlimited N&W, domestic roaming, unlimited text, unlimited nav and unlimited data

New plan (as of March 1ish):
T-Mobile 4G Monthly prepaid
$30 (includes taxes) for 100 anytime, unlimited text and unlimited data (first 5 GB at "up to" HSPA+ speeds)

Part of the reason why I switched to TMO is because I rarely talk on my phone, so 100 minutes will be more than enough.
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:57 PM   #13
Bswartz95
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
My plan is $69.98 before a 15% work discount. ($59.99 talk/text & $9.99 unlimited data)

450 minutes
Unlimited Text
Unlimited Data

Verizon Wireless
Bswartz95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:58 PM   #14
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a
 
bohbot16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMoMacUser View Post
New plan (as of March 1ish):
T-Mobile 4G Monthly prepaid
$30 (includes taxes) for 100 anytime, unlimited text and unlimited data (first 5 GB at "up to" HSPA+ speeds)

Part of the reason why I switched to TMO is because I rarely talk on my phone, so 100 minutes will be more than enough.
I think this plan is really going to take off in areas where T-Mobile has refarmed their 1900MHz spectrum.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:04 PM   #15
C DM
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
I'm convinced there is one cellular plan to rule them all. I feel like a lot of these carriers are swindlers, especially here I mean we don't get no $20 a month plan like overseas.
Short of a free or some sort of crazy low price plan that simply offers everything in unlimited supply, and has all kinds of amazing speeds and coverage, and also works with all kinds of phones, there could really be no such thing. Way, WAY, too many variables.

It's nice perhaps to imagine/dream of such things, but seeing random plans containing random included features from random places and people, doesn't really say whether or not a plan is better or worse for someone else. For example, someone might not care about making calls at all or texting at all, so having plans with unlimited voice or texts is meaningless for them, no matter how cheap those (included) features might be. Or perhaps it's from a carrier that has no coverage anywhere where they are and thus none of it would really carry any meaning for them at all, even if the plan was completely free.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:07 PM   #16
Feed Me
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Location Location
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
10 GB for 5 phones is still 2GB per phone and if it's being used together and I was on it, somebody would be SOL. I could use the whole 10 GB myself.
Why, that's hardly unlimited everything.

Me? I'd serve crab's legs.

But my cell plan is as thus:

1200 minutes
Un-frikin-limited data
Unlimited texts
12/month
Feed Me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:09 PM   #17
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
$30 for Unlimited data (verizon)
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:15 PM   #18
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a
 
bohbot16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
$30 for Unlimited data (verizon)
Good old iPad SIM in an iPhone trick, eh?
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:22 PM   #19
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohbot16 View Post
Good old iPad SIM in an iPhone trick, eh?
More like grandfathered. Got the Verizon iPhone 4 on launch day.

My iPad 1 is Wi-Fi only. Doesn't have a SIM.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:29 PM   #20
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohbot16 View Post
I think this plan is really going to take off in areas where T-Mobile has refarmed their 1900MHz spectrum.
That's why I bought an unlocked Nexus 4. If TMO's network flounders like Sprint's did after it got the iPhone, I can bail for AT&T.
CoMoMacUser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:30 PM   #21
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a
 
bohbot16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
More like grandfathered. Got the Verizon iPhone 4 on launch day.

My iPad 1 is Wi-Fi only. Doesn't have a SIM.
I guess I read too much into your post. You're paying $30 for just the data portion of your bill. Everyone else was including talk and text.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:31 PM   #22
bonskovsky
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I used to watch people who would download stuff to their phones. They would watch movies and videos like it was nothing. In fact, wasn't it that Verizon used to have their own streaming service?

Imagine how much you could stream with unlimited data. You don't appear to be able to do that nowadays.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:35 PM   #23
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a
 
bohbot16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
I used to watch people who would download stuff to their phones. They would watch movies and videos like it was nothing. In fact, wasn't it that Verizon used to have their own streaming service?

Imagine how much you could stream with unlimited data. You don't appear to be able to do that nowadays.
It's super rare for me to stream video when I'm not already on WiFi. I stream music/podcasts in the car though.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:44 PM   #24
logicpro7
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London UK
250 minutes
Unlimited Texts
Unlimited Data

12 a month ($19)
__________________
13" 2.5 i5 MacBook Pro - 16GB RAM - Samsung 256GB 830 SSD - Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid - 27" Apple LED Cinema Display - ATV3 1080P - Slate iPhone 5 16GB
logicpro7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:32 PM   #25
Chimom79
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: (Western) North Carolina, USA
Send a message via Yahoo to Chimom79
Well, for right now, Im with Sprint. Im almost always home and on wifi, but have pretty good coverage here even without. My plan is:

-450 anytime minutes (never need that much), roaming included, free night & weekend
-free any mobile to any mobile
-unlimited text
-unlimited pic mail
-unlimited 3G data
-unlimited 3G data roaming
-TEP insurance

$90.00 a month
__________________
~Loving my iPad 3rd Gen. & iPhone 4s~
Chimom79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carrier: iPad default tmobile plan or add a line to cellular mc906 iPad 2 Nov 15, 2013 05:58 AM
Carrier: iPad Air Cellular on T-Mobile PrePaid Voice 5GB 4G plan? JOSE891 iPad 9 Nov 3, 2013 07:02 PM
AT&T Won't Charge for FaceTime Over Cellular, Will Require New Mobile Share Plan MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 470 May 22, 2013 09:28 PM
$30 T-Mobile plan: FaceTime over cellular? c.s. iPhone 3 Apr 19, 2013 05:21 PM
Unlimited Plan Facetime over cellular working, Why? Bug JavierDiaz4 iPhone 1 Sep 23, 2012 02:11 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC