Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monicat2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Completed!! Thanks for everyone's input!

I never changed my root password after jailbreaking since I didn't know how to and Terminal did not work (but now I know how to through my computer). I never had any problems until a few weeks ago at my university. Someone got into it and now my network access is cut off by my school (it was supposedly attacking other computers), and in order to get it back, I need to reset my iPhone to factory settings. Also, my battery life decreases extremely fast whenever it's connected to wifi, presumably from the malware, so I'd really like to get my phone back to the way it was before.

My device is an iPhone 4.

A few questions:
I unlocked it last year through an IMEI unlock thing from ebay. Will my phone stay unlocked after I restore it?

If I restore my iPhone to factory settings through iTunes, will it automatically be restored to iOS 6.1? It is currently 5.0.1. If it doesn't, should I restore anyways, then update, then jailbreak?

I already backed up my phone in iTunes. The malware shouldn't stick with the backup, right?

I apologize if any of my questions were answered in the past. I'd just either 1) like clarification/a more recent answer or 2) did not see them.

Last edited:

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
I never changed my root password after jailbreaking since I didn't know how to and Terminal did not work (but now I know how to through my computer). I never had any problems until a few weeks ago at my university. Someone got into it and now my network access is cut off by my school (it was supposedly attacking other computers), and in order to get it back, I need to reset my iPhone to factory settings. Also, my battery life decreases extremely fast whenever it's connected to wifi, presumably from the malware, so I'd really like to get my phone back to the way it was before.

My device is an iPhone 4.

A few questions:
I unlocked it last year through an IMEI unlock thing from ebay. Will my phone stay unlocked after I restore it?

If I restore my iPhone to factory settings through iTunes, will it automatically be restored to iOS 6.1? It is currently 5.0.1. If it doesn't, should I restore anyways, then update, then jailbreak?

I already backed up my phone in iTunes. The malware shouldn't stick with the backup, right?

I apologize if any of my questions were answered in the past. I'd just either 1) like clarification/a more recent answer or 2) did not see them.

Wow never actually heard of an iPhone getting attacked by a harmful virus

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
It seems possible to me that the malware could stay in the iTunes backup. I think you can just put it in DFU mode and restore with iTunes. Either way, before you wipe it, get a copy of the SSH access log if there is one! There might be info in there leading to the attacker.

EDIT: OpenSSH does NOT keep an access log.

----------

Wow never actually heard of an iPhone getting attacked by a harmful virus

It's not a virus.

Last edited:

monicat2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
It seems possible to me that the malware could stay in the iTunes backup. I think you can just put it in DFU mode and restore with iTunes. Either way, before you wipe it, get a copy of the SSH access log if there is one! There might be info in there leading to the attacker.

How would I get a copy of the SSH access log?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Someone could only get into it if they had physical access to it or you installed SSH. If you didn't install SSH, then your device is clean.

monicat2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Someone could only get into it if they had physical access to it or you installed SSH. If you didn't install SSH, then your device is clean.

Yes, I have SSH installed.

Oh now I realized my computer isn't detecting my iPhone. :confused: I haven't connected the two via USB cable in a long time since I've always just charged from a wall charger. I guess all this will have to wait.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
How would I get a copy of the SSH access log?

In Mac OS, it's in /private/var/log in the secure.log document I think. I don't know if it's the same in iOS. I don't see such a file on my iPhone, but I uninstalled OpenSSH a long time ago, so it might have been wiped.

----------

Yes, I have SSH installed.

Oh now I realized my computer isn't detecting my iPhone. :confused: I haven't connected the two via USB cable in a long time since I've always just charged from a wall charger. I guess all this will have to wait.

Even in DFU mode? Isn't DFU unmodifiable?

monicat2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Even in DFU mode? Isn't DFU unmodifiable?

2pq5dmr.png

monicat2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
I re-installed iTunes but it still did not detect my iPhone. I know my friend messed with some drivers related to iTunes that had to do with burning discs or something like that, but maybe it had to do with detecting my iPhone too. It was new at the time but something wasn't working, and after messing with the drivers whatever it was that wasn't working worked. Wifi sync seems to work fine... Just tried it with another laptop and it does work!! Thank you for all the help!!

Last edited:

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
You need to delete the drivers for your phone and then let your computer reinstall them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.