Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
This is really insignificant. Since you still need to get a cable package to be able to then get HBO I'll just keep using my set top box -- which is easier.

If a stand alone pay HBO app was created then THAT would be awesome. I'd gladly pay $20 or $25 a month for that alone and be done with all the crap cable channels I never watch.

I see no point to HBO. I already have a huge library of movies on a 3TB drive plus Netflix and AppleTV. When I want to watch a movie, I want to watch what I want to watch, not what HBO (or any other pay movie channel) feels like showing at that point in time (and HBO on demand is very limited in selection as well and not much better than a DVR function). I had HBO and SHOWTIME for awhile and never watched them (never anything on that I didn't either already own or didn't want to watch). I got rid of them and with the savings I could increase my high speed internet rate even further and just rent the few new movies worth watching (also seem to be getting smaller and smaller over time with most movies being crap these days).

Cable in general is also a waste of money for things you don't watch, but at least there is first run material that can be recorded with the DVR (and thus bypassing the endless array of god-awful commercials that seem to ever increase in length as shows get shorter and shorter).

Ideally, I'd like to be able to just "rent" TV Shows I actually want to watch from major Networks. Having to "buy" them is pointless since I don't watch most TV Shows more than once, especially reality based ones. AppleTV Gen 2 had this function when it first came out for half the price of buying, but they got rid of it and watch more than a few shows and buying them isn't such a great deal so cable is still here.

Shows SHOULD be ala carte, though because you shouldn't have to pay for what you don't watch. And if you miss something, you should be able to go back and watch it on demand (not always possible and usually a week or more delay from the live broadcast). The system is still fubar, IMO. It reminds me of the situation with music before iTunes made downloads legit. The industry REFUSES to do what the public wants so the public increasingly ignores the industry and does it anyway. This hurts the industry, but the industry won't budge until it's literally forced to do so. It's a very chicken/egg situation. We have solutions for rental movies online; I don't see why TV Shows should be handled any differently. Let me pay for what I watch and not subsidize everyone else's show at my expense. That doesn't mean I want to BUY the TV Shows. I just want to see them once (i.e. RENT). Then I could ditch Cable altogether since I don't watch nearly enough to justify the expense, IMO.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I see no point to HBO. I already have a huge library of movies...

The point is HBO's original programming, both current and past. There's a lot of it, and much of it is very good. If none of that interests you, then yeah, you don't need the channel or the app.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Winter is coming!!!

its-my-spot.jpg
\

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
I see no point to HBO. I already have a huge library of movies on a 3TB drive plus Netflix and AppleTV. When I want to watch a movie, I want to watch what I want to watch, not what HBO (or any other pay movie channel) feels like showing at that point in time (and HBO on demand is very limited in selection as well and not much better than a DVR function). .

HBO Go has a whole lot more than On Demand. For one, they have every episode of almost all of their TV shows and a much larger movie selection along with some interactive viewing of some TV shows like Game Of Thrones.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Happy that this finally works! :)

I was very frustrated trying to stream Boardwalk Empire last week to my AppleTV. Thankfully this will no longer be an issue.

Now to just finish that AppleTV app :D

I love being able to use HBO Go. I'm piggy-backing off of my parents satellite TV account. Since our apartment doesn't allow satellite dishes to be installed, it's a great way for us to watch HBO Go here.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
I see no point to HBO. I already have a huge library of movies on a 3TB drive plus Netflix and AppleTV. When I want to watch a movie, I want to watch what I want to watch, not what HBO (or any other pay movie channel) feels like showing at that point in time (and HBO on demand is very limited in selection as well and not much better than a DVR function). I had HBO and SHOWTIME for awhile and never watched them (never anything on that I didn't either already own or didn't want to watch). I got rid of them and with the savings I could increase my high speed internet rate even further and just rent the few new movies worth watching (also seem to be getting smaller and smaller over time with most movies being crap these days).

Cable in general is also a waste of money for things you don't watch, but at least there is first run material that can be recorded with the DVR (and thus bypassing the endless array of god-awful commercials that seem to ever increase in length as shows get shorter and shorter).

Ideally, I'd like to be able to just "rent" TV Shows I actually want to watch from major Networks. Having to "buy" them is pointless since I don't watch most TV Shows more than once, especially reality based ones. AppleTV Gen 2 had this function when it first came out for half the price of buying, but they got rid of it and watch more than a few shows and buying them isn't such a great deal so cable is still here.

Shows SHOULD be ala carte, though because you shouldn't have to pay for what you don't watch. And if you miss something, you should be able to go back and watch it on demand (not always possible and usually a week or more delay from the live broadcast). The system is still fubar, IMO. It reminds me of the situation with music before iTunes made downloads legit. The industry REFUSES to do what the public wants so the public increasingly ignores the industry and does it anyway. This hurts the industry, but the industry won't budge until it's literally forced to do so. It's a very chicken/egg situation. We have solutions for rental movies online; I don't see why TV Shows should be handled any differently. Let me pay for what I watch and not subsidize everyone else's show at my expense. That doesn't mean I want to BUY the TV Shows. I just want to see them once (i.e. RENT). Then I could ditch Cable altogether since I don't watch nearly enough to justify the expense, IMO.

No point to HBO? Have you ever watched Boardwalk Empire ; ) This is all a matter of taste of course, but HBO has produced some of the best TV shows of all times. Only AMC can rival their offering, with Breaking Bad and Mad Men, which are also on Netflix Stream. Showtime had their series on Stream as well for a while.

Aside from that, you CAN rent every show on Netflix, but I'm guessing what you're asking for is an option for cheap online rental, at the time a show airs? I would like that model as well, or even better, just release the whole season - that's how Netflix does it with their own shows. (House of Cards, Lilyhammer)

I personally just buy the HBO shows I watch, because like you, I completely rely on Netflix stream,rental and going to the theater. But, I'd be happy to pay HBO $20 a month, for being able to stream their shows instead.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Airplay works fantastic for me. There is no reduction in video quality using Airplay because the way it works, there is no compression. You get the same video quality as the file itself. You must have turned on mirroring. If you use mirroring, the quality of the video is dependent on your network. When Airplay is supported by the app (like this one), mirroring isn't required.

maybe that's it, thanks.

dawindmg08

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Awesome. Now just waiting for Apple to open up the ATV so we can get a proper media center streaming app: Twonky, Plex, Firefly -- I don't care, just so long as I can play content from my NAS without going through iTunes.

As for waiting for cable ala carte, don't hold your breath. Google that phrase to find recent articles as to why that's a difficult (if not impossible) transition for the cable companies. A true bag of hurt.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

Wow 3TB. That is a small amount of content space, not even worth mentioning.

If you're comparing HBO on Demand to HBO Go, it obvious you haven't done your homework and have no clue as to what you are talking about.

iCarabma

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2012
HBO is incredibly smart

(Disclosure, I used to work for HBO)

To all who don't understand why HBO won't just allow you to buy it without cable, it's because they don't want your money. See they actually make more from the cable companies than they do from the subscribers. They print money.

One day things may change. On day (and this day may never come), one day they might decide they can make more by selling direct to customers. And when that day comes, all they will have to do is flip a switch because their mobile team has laid the foundation.

Netflix could change the game, but it won't be because HBO didn't see it coming.

bliggs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Broken Arrow
Has anyone gotten it to work yet? I still get the same "HDMI not supported" message! I do get audio though, same as before. I guess the statement in the article, "from this moment forward", actually means some time in the near future?? LOL

UPDATE!! Never mind, I just saw the updates for the BOTH HBO GO and MAX GO!!

Last edited:

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Has anyone gotten it to work yet? I still get the same "HDMI not supported" message! I do get audio though, same as before. I guess the statement in the article, "from this moment forward", actually means some time in the near future?? LOL

I have it working only on my 720p ATV2. It does not even see my ATV3. However it does see my Google TV, does work on that however.

Picture quality not that great.

By the way, did you update your HBO Go and MaxGo apps on your device?

green94

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009

I just tried as well with no luck - I would assume they would have to update the app to flip on the functionality?

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
So I can use my iOS device when it is connected to my home network, the same network that is connected to my cable internet service, to AirPlay HBO to my TV now? How about just bypassing all of that by either turning on my cable box or introducing an app for the TV?

Your cable box doesn't offer the same on demand offerings (virtually everything from 1995 forward) and doesn't follow you to hotels like the AppleTV can. I love taking that with me when I travel.

bliggs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Broken Arrow
I have it working only on my 720p ATV2. It does not even see my ATV3. However it does see my Google TV, does work on that however.

Picture quality not that great.

By the way, did you update your HBO Go and MaxGo apps on your device?

Yes, I saw the updates right after I posted my comment LOL! Works very well. Still can't wait for the actual apps to arrive! Also want EPIX, Starz, Encore and Crackle!! :)

Thank you!

OS-SEX

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2012
Trying to watch an episode of Six Feet Under and it's painful. Picture quality is poor and sometimes jittery. And this is with fast FIOS internet. I guess I'll just have to wait for the apple TV app.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Love my ATV....use it all the time....but why should I bother with streaming HBOGo with Airplay to it.....when my Xbox360 has a native HBOGo app?
If you're an avid gamer with an XBox 360 and a Gold membership, then you're right. Stick with the XBox 360. In fact, why do you even own an ATV at all? I've got a Windows Media Center server and an XBox 360 in another room as an extender, but that's really all I use it for. I don't play games and don't have a Gold membership. And the thought of paying for a Gold membership (for each individual XBox) just so I can then pay extra for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and HBOGo feels like a ripoff to me.

And let's not forget that the XBox 360 is bigger, louder, more power-hungry, and more expensive than an ATV.

morningsong

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2010
Just tried HBO Go on ATV from a 4S.
Having used the app on XBox, on my system...HBO looks 10x better on the ATV.
Yet Netflix looks better on the 360.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
If you're an avid gamer with an XBox 360 and a Gold membership, then you're right. Stick with the XBox 360. In fact, why do you even own an ATV at all? I've got a Windows Media Center server and an XBox 360 in another room as an extender, but that's really all I use it for. I don't play games and don't have a Gold membership. And the thought of paying for a Gold membership (for each individual XBox) just so I can then pay extra for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and HBOGo feels like a ripoff to me.

And let's not forget that the XBox 360 is bigger, louder, more power-hungry, and more expensive than an ATV.

+1
And the thought of paying for a Gold membership (for each individual XBox) just so I can then pay extra for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and HBOGo feels like a ripoff to me.
So true. It is a ripoff.

Sounds like a jet taking off LOL.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Huh? All they're doing is providing their customers access to a service they already pay for, and apparently expecting those customers to wait with bated breath. You can't access HBO Go without subscribing to a traditional cable TV service and paying for the traditional HBO premium channel tier.

I have my doubts that the ancient channels and cable companies will ever loosen their grip in a way that would let someone like Apple give us a modern experience, so at this point it's probably up to Netflix and others to make them obsolete.

Indeed, no bold moves here, just token concessions! :(

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
(Disclosure, I used to work for HBO)

To all who don't understand why HBO won't just allow you to buy it without cable, it's because they don't want your money. See they actually make more from the cable companies than they do from the subscribers. They print money.

One day things may change. On day (and this day may never come), one day they might decide they can make more by selling direct to customers. And when that day comes, all they will have to do is flip a switch because their mobile team has laid the foundation.

Netflix could change the game, but it won't be because HBO didn't see it coming.
Apple can easily change the game. The game is about money. What does Apple have more of than anyone else (including the entire cable industry)? My theory is that Apple is building up this huge cash reserve because it knows that it's going to take a lot of money to jump start their a la carte iTV. If it wants HBO to be standalone, they could easily match or beat the cable companies' subsidy. Furthermore, it would be chump change for them. If the cable companies try to keep up, they'll only bleed their own cash reserves dry.

And as cable subscribers drop, other content providers will have MUCH greater incentive to move to Apple's platform. Apple doesn't need to buy out all content providers - just the ones that are propping up cable. They just need to pay out enough cash to get these four providers on board: HBO, Showtime, ESPN, and NFL. If they can do that, the rest will fall like dominoes. Then it's game over for the cable companies. Usher in the new iTV era...

Last edited:

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
Apple can easily change the game. The game is about money. What does Apple have more of than anyone else (including the entire cable industry)? My theory is that Apple is building up this huge cash reserve because it knows that it's going to take a lot of money to jump start their a la carte iTV. If it wants HBO to be standalone, they could easily match or beat the cable companies' subsidy. Furthermore, it would be chump change for them. If the cable companies try to keep up, they'll only bleed their own cash reserves dry.

And as cable subscribers drop, other content providers will have MUCH greater incentive to move to Apple's platform. Apple doesn't need to buy out all content providers - just the ones that are propping up cable. They just need to pay out enough cash to get these four providers on board: HBO, Showtime, ESPN, and NFL. If they can do that, the rest will fall like dominoes. Then it's game over for the cable companies. Usher in the new iTV era...

They can't easily change the game because with the exception of HBO, and some of the other premium channels, advertising dollars are where the bulk of their money comes from. Cable networks know how many tvs they reach already with the current system whether all those people watch them or not doesn't matter, they have the potential to reach all of those people easily by just being on their channel lineup. Channels like FX or AMC wouldn't reach as many people if they went a la cart right now which means they wouldn't be able to charge as much for advertising since their audience would be a lot smaller.

I'm not for the ridiculous pricing of the current system by the way by the way it's just that it's a lot more complicated then simple Apple having a lot of cash on hand. The recording industry didn't change until they started to lose money. Right now they're not really hurting in TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.