Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Unlimited everything.

$55.

I feel like I'm getting the most out of my money. What about you?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
150 minutes, which I never use.
600 texts, which I never use.
500 MB, which I've had to bump up to 1 GB twice.

~US$29/month. When my contract runs out in November then I'll probably be moving to a different company which offers 2 GB for $12/month, and do voice and text on an as-needed basis.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Unlimited everything.

$55.

I feel like I'm getting the most out of my money. What about you?

Does that plan include a device subsidy, or do you need to pay full price?
What network are you on? What data speeds do you get?

I'm on a 10GB AT&T Mobile Share family plan with 5 iPhones. After a FAN discount and taxes it comes to $275 per month ($55 per phone).

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
10 GB for 5 phones is still 2GB per phone and if it's being used together and I was on it, somebody would be SOL. I could use the whole 10 GB myself.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Woo wee that's an expensive plan!

It's $55 per phone per month and everyone pays for their phone, so it's not like I'm paying for everyone else. Plus, almost $20 per phone per month of it is due to the device subsidy.

What provider do you use?

----------

10 GB for 5 phones is still 2GB per phone and if it's being used together and I was on it, somebody would be SOL. I could use the whole 10 GB myself.

Yeah, there could be an issue if we had a different mix of people, but we balance each other out and have never used that much.

I should also mention that the plan has unlimited talk and text and includes tethering.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Does that plan include a device subsidy, or do you need to pay full price?
What network are you on? What data speeds do you get?

I'm on a 10GB AT&T Mobile Share family plan with 5 iPhones. After a FAN discount and taxes it comes to $275 per month ($55 per phone).

Ful price for the phone. Data speeds are not up to snuff but remain constant. The signal is okay but could be better.

20 and above are acceptable data speed. I'm getting 2.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sounds like a total apples vs. oranges comparison (no pun intended). There really is no "best" plan overall for everyone, and there's really no single (or even a few) points of measurement--like just monthly price or how many voice minutes or how much data is included--that would really convey how good it really is even for some, let alone for everyone.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Sounds like a total apples vs. oranges comparison (no pun intended). There really is no "best" plan overall for everyone, and there's really no single (or even a few) points of measurement--like just monthly price or how many voice minutes or how much data is included--that would really convey how good it really is even for some, let alone for everyone.

I'm convinced there is one cellular plan to rule them all. I feel like a lot of these carriers are swindlers, especially here I mean we don't get no $20 a month plan like overseas.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Ful price for the phone. Data speeds are not up to snuff but remain constant. The signal is okay but could be better.

20 and above are acceptable data speed. I'm getting 2.

That's why I switched from prepaid to my current plan. If you remove the portion of the monthly payment that's the device subsidy it costs $36.25 per phone per month and we have either HSPA+ or LTE speeds depending on where we go.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
That's why I switched from prepaid to my current plan. If you remove the portion of the monthly payment that's the device subsidy it costs $36.25 per phone per month and we have either HSPA+ or LTE speeds depending on where we go.

Well that was a difficult choice I had to make. Did I want the 1 or 2 GB of LTE, or did I want the relatively slow but unlimited 3G. I have to stay away from data limits I couldn't take that chance.

I should also mention that the plan has unlimited talk and text and includes tethering.

See, I don't get tethering, that's extra. And with (this is Cricket) they can catch you with a jailbreak tethering, I've gotten caught.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
Current plan:
Sprint SERO
$50 ($57 with taxes) for 500 day, unlimited N&W, domestic roaming, unlimited text, unlimited nav and unlimited data

New plan (as of March 1ish):
T-Mobile 4G Monthly prepaid
$30 (includes taxes) for 100 anytime, unlimited text and unlimited data (first 5 GB at "up to" HSPA+ speeds)

Part of the reason why I switched to TMO is because I rarely talk on my phone, so 100 minutes will be more than enough.

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
My plan is $69.98 before a 15% work discount. ($59.99 talk/text & $9.99 unlimited data)

450 minutes
Unlimited Text
Unlimited Data

Verizon Wireless

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
New plan (as of March 1ish):
T-Mobile 4G Monthly prepaid
$30 (includes taxes) for 100 anytime, unlimited text and unlimited data (first 5 GB at "up to" HSPA+ speeds)

Part of the reason why I switched to TMO is because I rarely talk on my phone, so 100 minutes will be more than enough.

I think this plan is really going to take off in areas where T-Mobile has refarmed their 1900MHz spectrum.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm convinced there is one cellular plan to rule them all. I feel like a lot of these carriers are swindlers, especially here I mean we don't get no $20 a month plan like overseas.
Short of a free or some sort of crazy low price plan that simply offers everything in unlimited supply, and has all kinds of amazing speeds and coverage, and also works with all kinds of phones, there could really be no such thing. Way, WAY, too many variables.

It's nice perhaps to imagine/dream of such things, but seeing random plans containing random included features from random places and people, doesn't really say whether or not a plan is better or worse for someone else. For example, someone might not care about making calls at all or texting at all, so having plans with unlimited voice or texts is meaningless for them, no matter how cheap those (included) features might be. Or perhaps it's from a carrier that has no coverage anywhere where they are and thus none of it would really carry any meaning for them at all, even if the plan was completely free.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location

Why, that's hardly unlimited everything.

Me? I'd serve crab's legs.

But my cell plan is as thus:

1200 minutes
Un-frikin-limited data
Unlimited texts
£12/month

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I think this plan is really going to take off in areas where T-Mobile has refarmed their 1900MHz spectrum.

That's why I bought an unlocked Nexus 4. If TMO's network flounders like Sprint's did after it got the iPhone, I can bail for AT&T.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
More like grandfathered. Got the Verizon iPhone 4 on launch day.

My iPad 1 is Wi-Fi only. Doesn't have a SIM.

I guess I read too much into your post. You're paying $30 for just the data portion of your bill. Everyone else was including talk and text.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I used to watch people who would download stuff to their phones. They would watch movies and videos like it was nothing. In fact, wasn't it that Verizon used to have their own streaming service?

Imagine how much you could stream with unlimited data. You don't appear to be able to do that nowadays.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I used to watch people who would download stuff to their phones. They would watch movies and videos like it was nothing. In fact, wasn't it that Verizon used to have their own streaming service?

Imagine how much you could stream with unlimited data. You don't appear to be able to do that nowadays.

It's super rare for me to stream video when I'm not already on WiFi. I stream music/podcasts in the car though.

jenni122701

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2013
(Western) North Carolina, USA
Well, for right now, Im with Sprint. Im almost always home and on wifi, but have pretty good coverage here even without. My plan is:

-450 anytime minutes (never need that much), roaming included, free night & weekend
-free any mobile to any mobile
-unlimited text
-unlimited pic mail
-unlimited 3G data
-unlimited 3G data roaming
-TEP insurance

$90.00 a month

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.