Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:27 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Has Team of 100 Product Designers Working on a Smart Watch

Bloomberg is reporting that Apple has a team of about 100 product designers working on a wristwatch computer, according to "two people familiar with the company's plans." The New York Times previously reported that Apple had been "experimenting" with a curved glass smart watch, but Bloomberg believes that Apple's smart watch plans have moved beyond the experimental phase.

Quote:
The team, which has grown in the past year, includes managers, members of the marketing group and software and hardware engineers who previously worked on the iPhone and iPad, said the people, who asked not to be named because the plans are private. The team's size suggests Apple is beyond the experimentation phase in its development, said the people.
Apple's senior director of engineering, James Foster, is said to be one of the managers working on the project, which happens to involve challenges like creating a smart watch that doesn't have to be charged every day. The smart watch, known colloquially by some as the "iWatch," would be able to do some of the same tasks as the iPad and iPhone.

Bloomberg also mentions that Apple had been planning a wearable fitness tracking device, much like Nike FuelBand or Jawbone Up, but that Apple had decided not to bring them to market. Apple CEO Tim Cook is a Nike board member and spoke about his own Nike FuelBand at the D10 Conference last year, also saying that wearable devices were an "interesting area" but that "the book hasn't been written on that one yet."

Article Link: Apple Has Team of 100 Product Designers Working on a Smart Watch
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Ill buy one
Spink10 is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:30 PM   #3
robjulo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink10 View Post
Ill buy one
Sight unseen, you'll buy one.
robjulo is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Squilly
macrumors 68020

@Spink10, I won't, even if there were 1000 people working on this watch. Check the watch's statistics in the real world. Not very popular. I hate the idea anyways. Make something else if you're trying to be ambitious.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:31 PM   #5
ob81
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ob81 Send a message via MSN to ob81
I kind of want them focused on products that people actually want. I am not sure this watch is that big of a deal.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Feed Me
Banned

A team of 100? Do you think we: Samsung, feel remotely scared now? Is that your tactic? I've yet to see a mortal man beat the power of the beast contained within our headquarters.
Attached Images

Feed Me is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:32 PM   #7
HE15MAN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob81 View Post
I kind of want them focused on products that people actually want. I am not sure this watch is that big of a deal.
Same here. Who cares about a watch
HE15MAN is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:33 PM   #8
moderngamenewb
macrumors 6502

The Apple iWatch. I bet it'll feature a voice command to tell you the time & date
moderngamenewb is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:33 PM   #9
appleguy123
macrumors 603

I'm doing just fine without a watch now. This thing will have to be pretty impressive for me to buy it.

Some covert way to text with the phone in your pocket would certainly be an interesting use, but it would require you to learn an entire new alphabet/language to use.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:33 PM   #10
DrJohnnyN
macrumors 6502a

I'm excited.
DrJohnnyN is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:33 PM   #11
Stella
macrumors 603

Such a watch would be awesome, would be definitely interested.

I'm sure the watch wouldn't have much functionality of its own and depend on iPhone, iPad, iPod. Possibly even integrate with Macbook, now they have Bluetooth 4 too.

There's so much potential in smart watches.. Give a new life to watch market overall.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:33 PM   #12
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
@Spink10, I won't, even if there were 1000 people working on this watch. Check the watch's statistics in the real world. Not very popular. I hate the idea anyways. Make something else if you're trying to be ambitious.
It'll be a "watch" as much as the iPhone is a phone -- which is to say, that wont be its compelling purpose.
arn is offline   32 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:34 PM   #13
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
Just because it's unpopular isn't a reason not to buy it. I'm kinda excited about this, but I only have expectations.
Fatalbert is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:34 PM   #14
mtneer
macrumors 6502a

Wow.. Lost are the days when you would not even know what product was coming out, let alone how many employees are working on a product along with their manager.
mtneer is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:34 PM   #15
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

I'd get one if my iWatch can call my iCar over like Michael Knight did with KITT in Knight Rider.
iMikeT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:35 PM   #16
nagromme
macrumors G4

Here are my guesses as to what Apple's "next big thing" might be.

Some of these might happen in a small way instead, but when Apple does something big (probably only seen as big in hindsight!) I think it will be one of these:

Wearable computing (whether standalone or as a companion device; wristwatch-style most likely)

Automotive interfaces done right

TV done right (may include apps, may serve as a game console)

Home integration done right (remote control and timed control in new/easier ways?)

Desktop touch computing done right (not just OS X with touch awkwardly shoehorned in, not just large-size iOS)

Siri becoming something more (may include 3rd-party API, may include Siris AI in non-voice uses)

VOIP done right (audio-only, evolution of FaceTime, breaking the US carrier mess)

Mobile wallet functionality (ubiquitous payment, ID, keys; evolution of PassBook; fingerprint scanning)

I do NOT think it will be anything to do with augmented reality or virtual reality. I think those are awesome, but my list above is all things that MIGHT be of use to just about anyone. I see AR and VR being of interest to only a subsegment; AR because making it be widely useful would mean wearing something silly, and VR because its broadest appeal is only for certain kinds of gaming. (But give me a Rift! Im the subsegment!)

And Im not counting the many smaller enhancements to existing categories. Well see iOS 7+ (and OS X) drive lots of that evolution and it will be great, but Im speculating on the next big thing that either becomes a new category or redefines an old one.
nagromme is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:35 PM   #17
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
Such a watch would be awesome, would be definitely interested.

I'm sure the watch wouldn't have much functionality of its own and depend on iPhone, iPad, iPod. Possibly even integrate with Macbook, now they have Bluetooth 4 too.

There's so much potential in smart watches..
How often do you see teens these days wearing a watch? Not every day do you hear the next generation saying: "OMG I NEED THIS NOW! NEW WATCH!"
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:36 PM   #18
sebseb81
macrumors member

Why wouldn't they also make the watch a fitness tracker? Seems like a natural fit.

As for those not interested in a watch and yet posting here nevertheless about how uninterested they are... what is up with that?
sebseb81 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:36 PM   #19
Joesmith13245
macrumors regular

A "Smart" watch? Really? This is the innovation that is coming out of Apple these days?
Joesmith13245 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:37 PM   #20
Idgit
macrumors 6502

I'm going to call BS on this.

Tim Cook said Apple will only enter a field if they can greatly improve it or disrupt it. I don't see how a "curved" glass watch disrupts anything. And I can't imagine that Apple would sell that many of these.

Or could this be a device targeted strictly for fitness? A combo pedometer, GPS device, radio, and phone for exercising?
Idgit is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:37 PM   #21
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

I'd prefer Apple to employ an extra 1000 software developers so we can finally get updates to Mac software like iWorks 09, iLife 11.... rather than yet another 'me too' device.

http://www.sonymobile.com/us/product...es/smartwatch/
MacRumorUser is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:37 PM   #22
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
How often do you see teens these days wearing a watch? Not every day do you hear the next generation saying: "OMG I NEED THIS NOW! NEW WATCH!"
Well, not at this moment in time.. but if watches became more appealing then this would change.

Anyway such product won't be aimed solely at teenagers and instead would have broader appeal.

Last edited by Stella; Feb 12, 2013 at 08:01 PM.
Stella is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:39 PM   #23
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idgit View Post
I'm going to call BS on this.

Tim Cook said Apple will only enter a field if they can greatly improve it or disrupt it. I don't see how a "curved" glass watch disrupts anything. And I can't imagine that Apple would sell that many of these.
Does software not count for anything? Are you really picturing a curved watch that just shows the time?

arn
arn is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:39 PM   #24
Poncho
macrumors 6502

Doesn't interest me, but say you could things like turn the central heating up, down or off while out of the house by talking into the watch, or when you come in at night you could tell it to switch on your Mac, or turn your Mac off when leaving the house, or lock all the doors behind you when out the house, or monitor your house using an app like iCam when out and about or talk to it and get it to send texts without having to take your iPhone out of your bag...

Actually, still not interested...
Poncho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:39 PM   #25
Idgit
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Wow.. Lost are the days when you would not even know what product was coming out, let alone how many employees are working on a product along with their manager.
Maybe this watch thing is actually a rumour misdirect from Apple. Cook did say they were going to "double down" on secrecy. If he was telling the truth, then why so many stories about this watch? Maybe the smart watch rumours are a lie, planted to satisfy the rumour mongers and to keep them off the scent of what Apple is really working on.
Idgit is online now   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion