Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:40 PM   #1
fbdmatt
macrumors newbie

How do I use two internal hard drives in my MBP?

So I just upgraded my MBP to include an internal 120GB SSD an swapped out my optical drive for my old 500GB HDD. I installed MacOSX from a thumb drive and then picked what I wanted to have on the SSD. I want to only have the OS, Apps, personal preferences, etc. on the SSD. Music, movies, documents, downloads, and other larger files I am keeping on my old HDD in the optical bay. I now boot from the SSD. What I don't know is how, when booted from the SSD, I am able to access my itunes library and all other items stored on the HDD. Is there some way to put links in the same folders where I would normally find those items? For example, if I wanted to pull up some documents, I'd simply look in the docs folder while booted in my SSD and have access to those docs from my HDD. Not at all sure how to do that?
fbdmatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:07 PM   #2
BeeJee
macrumors 6502

You could either do the DIY fusion drive or set up a RAID configuration. I'm not too familiar with which RAID setup would do exactly what you want but if you search those two options I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.
BeeJee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:25 PM   #3
fbdmatt
macrumors newbie

@ beejee

I think I might have solved my own problem, but I'm still experimenting so any more help would be appreciated. On my desktop, I can click on the SSD or HDD, and after clicking the HDD, I clicked on Users. By right clicking on my username folder and adding it to the finder sidebar, all I have to do is open finder and click on that link in the sidebar and I have instant access to my old stuff. So one issue is solved I believe. The other thing I want to do is be able to have instant access to docs/downloads from those two links/folders icons on the scrollbar at the bottom of the screen.
fbdmatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:19 AM   #4
yusukeaoki
macrumors 68030

You could RAID your drives or just put music into your SSD like me so iTunes can see it.
yusukeaoki is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro