Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:52 PM   #76
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
Please explain. I don't think my skepticism at this unsubstantiated claim is misplaced, since you've given no indication that you have domain-specific knowledge of trademark law.

I also see from the existing UniShield product's website:
Unishield is manufactured exclusively by Unitech, LLC. This unique, water-based material is extremely conductive and has seen extensive application as a safe and effective EMI shield for many nonmetallic surfaces. Unitech engineers have developed various formulations of Unishield to specifically address problematic RF emanations in commercial, military and governmental environments.
So there's the RFID shield part of your case idea.
Where? Radio Frequency emanations?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:09 PM   #77
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Exactly. Not to mention the fact that if your case is already unibody Aluminum with 360 degree coverage it wouldn't need any additional RFID shielding as it would be a decent Faraday cage. Of course it wouldn't allow any of the wireless features of the phone to work either.

B
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:10 PM   #78
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
You cannot be serious.
r.j.s is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:13 PM   #79
cambookpro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Come on man...
I'm no expert, but this is simple stuff. RFID is radio frequency identification - hence the RF part.
cambookpro is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:19 PM   #80
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
Perhaps I'm missing a key point about these things then. I've seen people with CCs that have chips in them that allow you to simply tap the card instead of swipe it. That's the only benefit I've been able to deduce. Otherwise I've heard that skimming the data off of the chips is even more trivial that trying to install a swiping skimmer. So far all I see is increased risk with negligible benefit?
Small purchases are possible, at certain stores, without a PIN. Otherwise a PIN is required. The PIN is confirmed through the bank's servers.

Everyone says that skimming is trivial, and it may be in theory, but I've not seen any real world evidence - though of course that doesn't mean it's not happening. The 'tap' terminals mean you literally have to get the chip close enough to tap the receiver. Perhaps the skimmers have a longer range...but you still have to get pretty close to wallet (not the victim themselves). I suppose if I was worried I'd get one of those special envelopes.

A device that skims magnetic strips can be installed in 15 seconds, and can acquire hundreds or thousands of numbers a day, with the criminal exposing themselves just once or twice. Some with an RFID skimmer needs to be closer enough to their victims to be recognized and identifiable for each and every skimming attempt. Not every attempt will be successful. Since an RFID skimmer needs to be in fairly close proximity to the targeted card, it is hard to automate. A person is probably required. And that still doesn't get you a PIN, so you are limited to small purchases only with a counterfeit card.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:25 PM   #81
stonyc
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to stonyc
Given this statement, maybe you should pay more attention in your classes?

If you're so interested in inventing the "next big thing", maybe you should take a series of classes in product design, prototyping, and implementation. That might actually give you a better idea of what it takes to take an idea from design to market, rather than asking the members of this forum to do your work for you.

Given your difficulties with math (and apparently engineering), perhaps you should focus on the business side of things... does your school have an undergraduate business program?
stonyc is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:34 PM   #82
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
<snip>
Cheers, I could think of a few ways to continue this conversation, but I don't want to get too OT.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:15 PM   #83
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambookpro View Post
Come on man...
I'm no expert, but this is simple stuff. RFID is radio frequency identification - hence the RF part.
Yeah, I realize that. What are you getting at?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyc View Post
Given this statement, maybe you should pay more attention in your classes?

If you're so interested in inventing the "next big thing", maybe you should take a series of classes in product design, prototyping, and implementation. That might actually give you a better idea of what it takes to take an idea from design to market, rather than asking the members of this forum to do your work for you.

Given your difficulties with math (and apparently engineering), perhaps you should focus on the business side of things... does your school have an undergraduate business program?
Yeah, I think so. Nor do I expect you to do the work for me.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
Exactly. Not to mention the fact that if your case is already unibody Aluminum with 360 degree coverage it wouldn't need any additional RFID shielding as it would be a decent Faraday cage. Of course it wouldn't allow any of the wireless features of the phone to work either.

B
So make it conductive instead of a passthrough material with the same feel of the aluminum?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:24 PM   #84
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
So make it conductive instead of a passthrough material with the same feel of the aluminum?
Then there is no RFID protection. A faraday cage is pretty much all or nothing.

If you are going to design this thing, you need to understand that stuff - or else you'll get complaints and reviews that signal sucks while using your case.
r.j.s is offline   1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:29 PM   #85
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.s View Post
Then there is no RFID protection. A faraday cage is pretty much all or nothing.

If you are going to design this thing, you need to understand that stuff - or else you'll get complaints and reviews that signal sucks while using your case.
Keep an opening for the antenna? Apple did something similar.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:34 PM   #86
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
I don't have time to teach you RF wave theory, but if you want to design a case with RFID protection for a phone, then you need to learn.
r.j.s is offline   1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:34 PM   #87
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
I don't think you understand how your proposed technology works. Would the antenna work? Sure. But only if you were standing in a certain way and touching a cats tail with one foot in a swamp and three leeches on your right leg. Would it work well? Not at all.

I think you should keep trying things, but you really need to flesh it out. Right now you're just throwing whatever is in the kitchen in the pot and we're telling you it'll taste like garbage. Go do some research.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:39 PM   #88
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
I don't think you understand how your proposed technology works. Would the antenna work? Sure. But only if you were standing in a certain way and touching a cats tail with one foot in a swamp and three leeches on your right leg. Would it work well? Not at all.

I think you should keep trying things, but you really need to flesh it out. Right now you're just throwing whatever is in the kitchen in the pot and we're telling you it'll taste like garbage. Go do some research.
"Wireless signals affect radio waves. Radio waves are formed by a variable electromagnetic field. Unfortunately, metal is a conductor of electricity and magnetism, and so it absorbs radio waves. The more metal a building has in its structure, the worse the radio reception is for the people inside."
Aluminum isn't a conductor of electricity nor is it magnetic; the two things that block radio waves. The material I planned on using was the aluminum found in the casing for a MacBook Pro, just to clarify.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:40 PM   #89
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Aluminum isn't a conductor of electricity nor is it magnetic; the two things that block radio waves. The material I planned on using was the aluminum found in the casing for a MacBook Pro, just to clarify.
But you want to put a RFID blocker aro.... you know what. I don't care. I'm unsubscribing from this thread. Good luck on your ideas.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:41 PM   #90
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
"Wireless signals affect radio waves. Radio waves are formed by a variable electromagnetic field. Unfortunately, metal is a conductor of electricity and magnetism, and so it absorbs radio waves. The more metal a building has in its structure, the worse the radio reception is for the people inside."
No, just, no.

BTW, I'm certain I know more about the subject than the ehow contributor you copied that from.

Last edited by r.j.s; Feb 12, 2013 at 08:47 PM.
r.j.s is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:46 PM   #91
Clix Pix
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Location: 8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (Northern Virginia)
Why are people here allowing this high school kid to waste their time and energy?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:47 PM   #92
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
But you want to put a RFID blocker aro.... you know what. I don't care. I'm unsubscribing from this thread. Good luck on your ideas.
When in doubt, put two things in one device...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clix Pix View Post
Why are people here allowing this high school kid to waste their time and energy?
College*....
Why did you come here to "waste your time and energy?"
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:48 PM   #93
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Squillz buddy, here is a good introduction to E&M. Come back when you've mastered it.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:49 PM   #94
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
You might want to do a basic fact-check on the underlined part. Either google or Wikipedia should give ample informative results.
chown33 is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:57 PM   #95
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Maybe I should start a prototype, 3D printed would be nice... I'll look into it.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:58 PM   #96
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
You might want to do a basic fact-check on the underlined part. Either google or Wikipedia should give ample informative results.
e.g. from Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum_wire

B
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:59 PM   #97
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
"...
Aluminum isn't a conductor of electricity ...
Which is of course why aluminium was used as house wiring for a number of years.

Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:00 PM   #98
Clix Pix
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Why is that when I ran a search on "Waloshin," another member who sounds suspiciously like this Squilly person, I came up with posts and threads from BOTH? Is Silly Squilly actually Waloshin under a different user name? Why is this nonsense allowed to continue?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:04 PM   #99
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clix Pix View Post
Why is that when I ran a search on "Waloshin," another member who sounds suspiciously like this Squilly person, I came up with posts and threads from BOTH? Is Silly Squilly actually Waloshin under a different user name? Why is this nonsense allowed to continue?
Oh Lord. If you think I'm a multi-accounter, you're mistaken. Maybe it's because I've posted on Waloshin's threads or he posted on mine?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:09 PM   #100
Clix Pix
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Well, then, as the saying goes, "birds of a feather flock together...."

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland