Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:05 PM   #26
Punkwaffle
macrumors regular

Ok, I've been thinking...I'm actually ok with the first picture if we as a people can agree that when putting the word "news" after fox grammatically demands quotation marks regardless of context.

Anyone running photoshop now?
Punkwaffle is offline   3
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:07 PM   #27
chasemac
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to chasemac
I wonder how much these "Macs" will cost to produce when Apple starts making them In the US. Hmm, maybe Robotics is what Tim is thinking. The question is who is making the Robots?
chasemac is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:08 PM   #28
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gix1k View Post
MACs made in US....Better start getting the extended warranty.
Yours is a very short-sighted comment.

Made in the USA can equate to quality products these days. While it's true that the USA is no longer a leader in high-tech manufacturing, the labor force is just as technically skilled and educated as any of those Asian countries. Even Japanese companies like Honda and Toyota have factories in the USA these days. There is negligible difference in quality between a Toyota Camry built/assembled in the USA and a Camry built/assembled in a Japanese factory.

I think Apple is doing the right thing by vowing to bring back manufacturing to its Home Country. I only wish that Cook will expand this in 2014, 2015 and future years. Expand even more jobs (beyond the initial 200) and more Apple factories in the USA in the coming years.

As for products "Made in the USA", yes it is true that they might cost a bit more. But like I said above, the quality can be top-notch in some cases. My favorite example these days is pointing out and recommending the company called Waterfield, based in San Francisco. They make some of the most gorgeous... absolutely beautiful cases, bags and accessories for Mac laptops, iPads, etc. No, I do not work for them. But they are a class act. The quality in their products show. And their motto?

No mass production or overseas workforce. WaterField bags are designed and made in San Francisco, where rent is high, labor is expensive and competition is intense. We wouldn’t go anywhere else!

http://www.sfbags.com/index.htm

http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleev...bookair_lg.jpg
Solomani is offline   6
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:09 PM   #29
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasemac View Post
I wonder how much these "Macs" will cost to produce when Apple starts making them In the US. Hmm, maybe Robotics is what Tim is thinking. The question is who is making the Robots?
A good number of Mac Pro's were built in Ireland. They don't pay workers 35 cents an hour there.
Peace is offline   5
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:09 PM   #30
NY Guitarist
macrumors 6502

Interesting to hear the President mention the issue of secure information networks in the US.
NY Guitarist is offline   2
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:10 PM   #31
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a

flattering picture
macsrcool1234 is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:13 PM   #32
theelysium
macrumors 6502

Fox news is the best....pmsnbc sucks!
theelysium is offline   11
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:13 PM   #33
japanime
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post

With that. I'm guessing the Mac Pro will be built about 25 miles from my home.
Elk Grove, CA?

I hope that is the factory that they reopen. But wherever it is, it is certain to benefit not just the employees, but the community.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:14 PM   #34
Dr. Stealth
macrumors 6502

When Obama asked Steve Jobs to bring the work back to the states he said "It will NEVER happen".

The only thing this means is that our economy is so F'ed up that there are people willing to work for $7.00 an hour to work on an assembly line building Macs.

It's a sad sad state......
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:15 PM   #35
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Not necessary. Apple will bring back the manufacturing to strategic US cities that are willing to make concessions to Apple. While employing the more-expensive American labor might seem expensive for Apple.... remember that Apple is a master of getting great deals and preferential treatment from cities. That's how they establish Apple Retail Stores. If that means the municipality or the state will give Apple a nice tax break or other incentive, then that's one way to help Apple break even with respect to the "increased labor cost".

Don't underestimate Apple's ability to do this. They've been doing it for years with their Apple Stores. Setting up new factories may use a similar strategy.
Solomani is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:15 PM   #36
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanime View Post
Elk Grove, CA?

I hope that is the factory that they reopen. But wherever it is, it is certain to benefit not just the employees, but the community.
No. there's a place SW of Portland near Hillsboro that already has everything they would need. It's an old Intel plant.
Peace is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:16 PM   #37
Arcady
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Arcady
Will these Macs really be "made" in USA, or just assembled from Chinese components in USA? Because I can buy a Dell that is assembled in the USA, but it is full of Asian components.

We need to make chips, boards, lasers, and batteries here. It's pathetic that so many parts have to come from overseas.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:17 PM   #38
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by longofest View Post
What a nice pic of Tim... Except for the whole Fox News thing...
How so? I'm guessing that a lot of Fox News viewers have Apple products. I'm guessing Tim Cook couldn't care less what cable news channel, if any, Apple's customers watch.
KPOM is offline   8
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:18 PM   #39
That70sGAdawg
macrumors 6502

Location: North Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
That wasn't a speech about the mis state of our union, it was a carnival barker and store front preacher wrapped in one selling "snake oil", although the damage will be much greater...
Thank God for the 49% that everyone forgets about in the media !!!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:19 PM   #40
fel10
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to fel10 Send a message via Yahoo to fel10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theelysium View Post
Fox news is the best....pmsnbc sucks!
You mean BSNBC
TVs
fel10 is offline   13
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:20 PM   #41
Swift
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by fel10 View Post
Let the Fox News bashing begin.
Why not? There's so MUCH to bash, being as how it functions as one interest group in the Republican Party. I guess it has some news, but you have to go over it with a fine tooth comb.
Swift is offline   5
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:20 PM   #42
Sky Blue

Yeah, we get it Grandpa, you don't like the president, blah blah.
Sky Blue is offline   9
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:21 PM   #43
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi395 View Post
The woman on the right looks so excited to be sitting next to Tim Cook.
She's probably an Android user...
troop231 is offline   4
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:21 PM   #44
Swift
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by That70sGAdawg View Post
That wasn't a speech about the mis state of our union, it was a carnival barker and store front preacher wrapped in one selling "snake oil", although the damage will be much greater...
Actually, 47% Don't think too highly of yourselves.
Swift is offline   4
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:21 PM   #45
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkwaffle View Post
Ok, I've been thinking...I'm actually ok with the first picture if we as a people can agree that when putting the word "news" after fox grammatically demands quotation marks regardless of context.

Anyone running photoshop now?
Here ya go. Sorry it's not done very well, I couldn't get the perspective right.

Also, did Obama mention drilling in the parks or did I imagine that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	timcooksotu.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	396535  
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   4
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:22 PM   #46
webbuzz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Why not? There's so MUCH to bash, being as how it functions as one interest group in the Republican Party. I guess it has some news, but you have to go over it with a fine tooth comb.
So, you are saying that CNN and MSNBC are not biased? Right...
webbuzz is online now   15
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:22 PM   #47
NY Guitarist
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Stealth View Post
The only thing this means is that our economy is so F'ed up that there are people willing to work for $7.00 an hour to work on an assembly line building Macs.

It's a sad sad state......
It's probably the ONLY thing it means to YOU. As dystopian world view is self-fulfilling.
NY Guitarist is offline   2
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:23 PM   #48
Swift
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Actually, the labor cost of a computer is rather small. I'm thinking 6%. A fair wage wouldn't be much more than that. Probably something they'll experiment with.
Swift is offline   1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:23 PM   #49
fel10
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to fel10 Send a message via Yahoo to fel10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
So why not bash MSNBC, NPR or the rest of the mainstream media while we are at it, since they do a great job kissing the liberal party's ass.
TVs
fel10 is offline   9
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:24 PM   #50
NY Guitarist
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by That70sGAdawg View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree.
NY Guitarist is offline   5

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland