Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
So in other words, the next iPhone will have a bigger screen, but it will be smaller than the smallest Galaxy, which again puts Apple behind AGAIN on launch day.
iPhone (whatever #) needs to have NFC and at least a 5" screen to be relevant. Then with iOS 7 needs to come widgets and a new LOOK.

Question: do you think a bigger phone is always better for most people?

Or do you think a bigger phone is better in some ways, and smaller phone is better in others?

Is it a complex trade-off, or is it a simple matter of "big" = "ahead"?

The best selling phone is a 4" model, not a 5" model, but maybe that's some kind of mistake.

(I haven't seen NFC take off, though I'd like it if it did. Otherwise, it's a bullet-item to make a list longer, which Android marketers love; rather than a real widely-useful feature.)

I can't help but remember when Apple just HAD to make a netbook--it was obvious, or they were doomed! They HAD to follow the competitions' marketing department, instead of building what gives the best experience.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Question: do you think a bigger phone is always better for most people?

Or do you think a bigger phone is better in some ways, and smaller phone is better in others?

Is it a complex trade-off, or is it a simple matter of "big" = "ahead"?

The best selling phone is a 4" model, not a 5" model, but maybe that's some kind of mistake.

(I haven't seen NFC take off, though I'd like it if it did. Otherwise, it's a bullet-item to make a list longer, which Android marketers love; rather than a real widely-useful feature.)

I can't help but remember when Apple just HAD to make a netbook--it was obvious, or they were doomed! They HAD to follow the competitions' marketing department, instead of building what gives the best experience.

The more relevant question is why Apple is capable of producing just a single phone model with a single screen size. Different people use phones differently and have different preferences regarding screen size. Samsung gets it. Apple does not.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
SOooo basically they have been doing nothing in terms of hardware since iphone 4.. and software wise.. umm same crap? Sooo... basically apple will continue to do nothing.. nice

I really don't understand some of you who insist on one size phone.. If you love iphone size(whether it be 3.5 or 4 inch.. ), what's it to you if apple come out w/ additional size.. ?? seriously.. what is wrong w/ some of you?

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
Simple Solution

Apple has to stop with this "S" crap. How the hell can they possibly think they could release an iPhone 5S (with just internal upgrades ) and make it sell well?! Samsung releases a BRAND NEW phone every year! Apple has to do the same! They will fall behind if they continue to keep the same phone for 2 years. They need to release an iPhone 6 this year with a bigger screen. Dont get me wrong, im not hating on Apple. Ive had every iPhone since the 4. Actually, I think the iPhone 4 was the most revolutionary iPhone they ever came out. I want a bigger screen. Apple says the 4-inch is perfect for one thumb or whatever. Fine. So, to be on the safe side, why dont they release a 5S with a 4 inch screen and a 6 with a big screen. So that way, people who want a smaller screen can get a 5S and people who want big screen can get a 6.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Yet it seems everyone who whines about Apple not innovating are the ones who want them to copy Samsung.

Well yes, the big phone = innovation™ crowd is a little confused about that one. I guess their main point is to say that Apple didn't do an enormous phone first, therefore they're not innovating.

gordon-gekko-phone1.gif

PS. I liked your comment, but would have been great if you included the context of my quote! :cool:

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I'd say Apple definitely knows what they're doing in terms of screen quality. Just look at Displaymate tests for the iPhone 5 and iPad screens. The accuracy of the display is unrivalled.

In terms of size, it wouldn't hurt to have a couple of choices (one at 5" or so) with the same attention to colour accuracy.

I think Tim Cook is saying that they will do a bigger screen Iphone but they are waiting for the right LCD screen tech that satisfy Apple standard. I don't think I necessary agree with his position but he is the CEO and I am just a poster..I hope by the time Apple release the big screen Iphone, they can get back those market share they loss so far. It better be one kick ass display and may be some additional function that can make use of the the bigger screen estate.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Would I stick with the iPhone if they don't come out with a Note competitor? Yes. Would I get an iPhone the size of the Note? Yes. Either way I enjoy my iOS experience, just in my line of work, I'd rather carry a big enough screen sized phone than the iPhone and iPad Mini.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The more relevant question is why Apple is capable of producing just a single phone model with a single screen size. Different people use phones differently and have different preferences regarding screen size. Samsung gets it. Apple does not.

Apple sells two iPhone screen sizes. And Samsung's big sales booster is that they stop supporting your phone before you've even payed off the contract! Planned obsolescence to the extreme. It's why almost nobody is running the latest Android version, while the latest iOS version has massive adoption. Want the new Android stuff? Get a new phone.

Apple keeps issuing OS updates FAR longer than Android handset makers. It's as though they'd rather treat the customer right than make you buy a new phone every year! I tell you, they're shooting themselves in the foot!

As for WHY Apple makes only two general iPhone models (in various versions/colors/GB)... it's plain old good business. Supply chain and economies of scale, AND simple for buyers. And they've found a size that works great, even if some people think 5" looks tempting on a shelf without having to live with it. The proof is in the sales: the iPhone 5 outsells Samsung's 5" phones.

I do think choices are good, and I do think Apple will grow the iPhone line over time--likely including larger ones. Just like laptops and iPads started with one size and expanded over time.

SOooo basically they have been doing nothing in terms of hardware since iphone 4.. and software wise.. umm same crap? Sooo... basically apple will continue to do nothing.. nice

True, they've done nothing. Except for the zillion things they've done. The iPhone 5 is hugely different from the iPhone 4. The edges are shaped similarly... if you want fancy new edges each year (hype) go with Android. If you want REAL improvements go with Apple.

Apple is not about the superficial constant hype of "new new new!" They are about making the best experience and iterating it better and better in continuous steps. It's what they've always done. (It's interesting that equal numbers of people complain that Apple releases new models too quickly, as complain they release new models too slowly! Just be glad that whatever you get will actually RECEIVE future iOS versions instead of being dropped within a year Samsung-style.)

Last edited:

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Of course they are going to claim what they are doing is better what competitor is going to say yeah we should probably do this because no company, especially not one as arrogant as apple would admit to anything like this. Just like the "you're holding it wrong"

----------

Well yes, the big phone = innovation™ crowd is a little confused about that one. I guess their main point is to say that Apple didn't do an enormous phone first, therefore they're not innovating.

PS. I liked your comment, but would have been great if you included the context of my quote! :cool:

I hope if apple does go with a larger iphone they tweak the OS to take use of the added screen and not just more rows of icons. Because how IOS is, a larger iphone than the 5 is pretty pointless since you aren't really in need of the added space with the OS in ways that the note takes advantage with multi window, etc so if apple would add some sort of gestures or something like that, then I say yes the larger iphone would really shine.

----------

Apple sells two iPhone screen sizes. And Samsung's big sales booster is that they stop supporting your phone before you've even payed off the contract! Planned obsolescence to the extreme. It's why almost nobody is running the latest Android version, while the latest iOS version has massive adoption. Want the new Android stuff? Get a new phone.

Apple keeps issuing OS updates FAR longer than Android handset makers. It's as though they'd rather treat the customer right than make you buy a new phone every year! I tell you, they're shooting themselves in the foot!

As for WHY Apple makes only two general iPhone models (in various versions/colors/GB)... it's plain old good business. Supply chain and economies of scale, AND simple for buyers. And they've found a size that works great, even if some people think 5" looks tempting on a shelf without having to live with it. The proof is in the sales: the iPhone 5 outsells Samsung's 5" phones.

I do think choices are good, and I do think Apple will grow the iPhone line over time--likely including larger ones. Just like laptops and iPads started with one size and expanded over time.

True, they've done nothing. Except for the zillion things they've done. The iPhone 5 is hugely different from the iPhone 4. The edges are shaped similarly... if you want fancy new edges each year (hype) go with Android. If you want REAL improvements go with Apple.

Apple is not about the superficial constant hype of "new new new!" They are about making the best experience and iterating it better and better in continuous steps. It's what they've always done. (It's interesting that equal numbers of people complain that Apple releases new models too quickly, as complain they release new models too slowly! Just be glad that whatever you get will actually RECEIVE future iOS versions instead of being dropped within a year Samsung-style.)

Real improvements? What real improvements has apple added? IOS5 was about the last time they added anything worthwhile in the OS. I mean twitter integration being labeled as one of the key additions just goes to show this.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
I am still perfectly fine with my iPhone 5 screen. I also felt that way about my 4S so I'm guessing an even larger phone I might like if I tried as well. Although when I had the note I hated it.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
If you're "bored" with iOS and Apple in general and you're not getting the aha moment any more - switch to Android. You'll get that aha moment each time the device does what you want it to, if you can get it to do what you want it to.

Apple doesn't need to add animated icons or active weather lock screens - those kind of things are great if you're so bored you need your device to entertain you, but if you actually use your device these things seem rather pointless. Apple created such a simple OS that only takes a swipe and a click or two to get to things that can entertain you - and that's just too much work for people?

I'd hate to see how you act when it's time to open presents - and waiting for the microwave to heat up a bowl of soup must be physically painful. How can anyone be expected to wait 90 seconds for soup to heat up. But hey, while you're waiting you can stare at your Android device while it shows you it's raining outside with animated clouds and rain on the lock screen - because you don't have time to look out the window...

You totally nailed it. People don't know what the term "experience" refers to, anymore.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
So in other words, the next iPhone will have a bigger screen, but it will be smaller than the smallest Galaxy, which again puts Apple behind AGAIN on launch day.
iPhone (whatever #) needs to have NFC and at least a 5" screen to be relevant. Then with iOS 7 needs to come widgets and a new LOOK.

That's a slippery slope though - Apple certainly needs to address the large phone buyersv(I'm one of those who'd want a 5"+ iPhone), but consider that the Glaxy S was 4", the S2 4.3", the S3 4.8" and now rumors point to a 5-5.1" S4. Or the Note, which has swelled from 5.3" to 6.3" if the leaks are true. So it's entirely conceivable that the Galaxy S5 could be in the 6"+ territory with the note approaching 7". There's got to a line in the sand somewhere, or Apple might as well just put call functionality into the iPad and iPad mini.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Yes Tim. Experience is important. But if your screen size is too small, the experience will be diminished.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
Tim Cook failed. People just want a larger screen. Smaller screen = poor experience, larger screen = good experience.

i know it has been asked many times but again..."how about a TV"? :D
also 'people' doesnt include atleast 5 of my family members, all of whom are happy with 4s and one complains about the iphone5 screen size...im sure there are plenty more

burtba

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
The "S" crap has been selling well regardless of anyones opinion. Having a 3 - 3S, 4-4S, 5-5S allows Apple two cycles of phone to develop the next phone & technology used. IMO opinion, this seems to show in the higher quality phone they are putting out compared to all their competitors.
People who need a larger screen so badly already have options ie Samsung etc, but statistics show that the people adopting the larger Samsung screen are by and large not converts from iPhone. So that really shows Apple that, yes, some people desire larger screens but not bad enough to move away from the Apple 'eco-system' in general.

With Apples focus on the TV market & watch development, I highly doubt we will see an iPhone 6 this year, but more likely an IOS7 and the iPhone 5S will be the only phone to be able to take 100% full advantage of it.

You must say, it would be a hard weigh up for Apple, obvious to say a larger screen gives more real-estate etc, but comes at a portability/single handed cost. Its bleedin obvious to say Apple could make a kick a..e 5inch screen phone, but it doesnt seem to be what they believe the market wants.
Personally I would love to have a slightly larger screen, but make it edge to edge as much as possible so the form factor doesnt have to increase in size much if any.

Apple has to stop with this "S" crap. How the hell can they possibly think they could release an iPhone 5S (with just internal upgrades ) and make it sell well?! Samsung releases a BRAND NEW phone every year! Apple has to do the same! They will fall behind if they continue to keep the same phone for 2 years. They need to release an iPhone 6 this year with a bigger screen. Dont get me wrong, im not hating on Apple. Ive had every iPhone since the 4. Actually, I think the iPhone 4 was the most revolutionary iPhone they ever came out. I want a bigger screen. Apple says the 4-inch is perfect for one thumb or whatever. Fine. So, to be on the safe side, why dont they release a 5S with a 4 inch screen and a 6 with a big screen. So that way, people who want a smaller screen can get a 5S and people who want big screen can get a 6.

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2010
I've owned a LOT of devices with displays and display devices. Every Apple product I've owned with a display has had at least one dead pixel and I'm talking about more than just a couple of Apple products too.

My first iPhone 4 had a slither of metal UNDERNEATH the screen, my iMac 27" went a funny yellow color around the same time my father's iMac went "spotty" in one corner (Apple blamed the glue) and my most recent Macbook Air 11" has three dead/stuck pixels. No other brand I've used has had a single dead pixel or display issue, including heaps of LCD monitors, a fair few laptops and non-Apple phones.

Great to hear that your teams "sweat every detail" when it comes to displays Tim, it's very reassuring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.