Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:24 PM   #51
hobo.hopkins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
A good number of Mac Pro's were built in Ireland. They don't pay workers 35 cents an hour there.
Exactly, because they have a competitive corporate tax rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irun5k View Post
200 new jobs. 20 million + looking for jobs?
I'm glad that the President mentioned this move by Apple; an initiative by the most valuable publicly-traded company in the world to move manufacturing into the United States is noteworthy. Apple can't realistically move every job that is currently overseas into the United States overnight. Shouldn't you be applauding their effort rather than demeaning their initiative?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:25 PM   #52
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Will these Macs really be "made" in USA, or just assembled from Chinese components in USA? Because I can buy a Dell that is assembled in the USA, but it is full of Asian components.

We need to make chips, boards, lasers, and batteries here. It's pathetic that so many parts have to come from overseas.
In order to say "made" in the USA some substantive manufacturing has to take place here. They can't simply insert a few screws into a mostly-put-together computer and call it "made in the USA."
KPOM is offline   1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:29 PM   #53
b166er
macrumors 68020

I'll be impressed when they move the production of iPhones, iPads, and iPods to the US, or even North America in general. The Mac, as beautiful as a machine as it is, doesn't even beging to compare to an iDevice in terms of sales. They can afford to make Macs in America (although I wonder how much is actually being made in the US and how much is just "assembled" here) because they don't rely too much on Mac sales for their huge profits. They could nix making computers all together and still be an insanely profitable company (but please don't, I love my MBP!).

And yes I understand that oversees production is part of their pricing model. And I know that Americans rely on cheap labor for all sorts of products. But with so many people in the US looking for work, I think it's actually possible to have Americans building iPhones, making a fair wage, and not tampering too much with the profits. Yeah they wouldn't make as much per unit, but the chance to seriously be a major player in the recovery of your home team... that means a lot, and it would give you a lot of political power.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:30 PM   #54
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fel10 View Post
Let the Fox News bashing begin.
Sounds good to me. They are factually the worst of the 3 major news networks.
imageWIS is offline   9
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:30 PM   #55
chasemac
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to chasemac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
Not necessary. Apple will bring back the manufacturing to strategic US cities that are willing to make concessions to Apple. While employing the more-expensive American labor might seem expensive for Apple.... remember that Apple is a master of getting great deals and preferential treatment from cities. That's how they establish Apple Retail Stores. If that means the municipality or the state will give Apple a nice tax break or other incentive, then that's one way to help Apple break even with respect to the "increased labor cost".

Don't underestimate Apple's ability to do this. They've been doing it for years with their Apple Stores. Setting up new factories may use a similar strategy.
This can be true and I wouldn't underestimate Apple Inc. as long as they are making the Robots. I'm speaking of manufacturing.
chasemac is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:32 PM   #56
mdriftmeyer
macrumors 68020

FOX News caption?

Really, Macrumors?

FOX News? Thanks for letting us know your slant.
mdriftmeyer is offline   5
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:32 PM   #57
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

200 jobs.

Meanwhile how many people does Foxconn employ in China making Apple products?

This is what the President considers a success story of his Administration.

Sorry, but Apple represents everything that is wrong with the Unites States, not what's right.
Breaking Good is offline   1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:32 PM   #58
webbuzz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
I love it when MSNBC and NBC edit audio and video.
webbuzz is offline   10
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:33 PM   #59
mdriftmeyer
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo.hopkins View Post

I'm glad that the President mentioned this move by Apple; an initiative by the most valuable publicly-traded company in the world to move manufacturing into the United States is noteworthy. Apple can't realistically move every job that is currently overseas into the United States overnight. Shouldn't you be applauding their effort rather than demeaning their initiative?
US Corporate Tax rates with incentives is effectively equal or less than Ireland who bankrupted itself by giving their effective levels of tax rates to corporations. Bank of Ireland went belly up as did others and the EU bailed them out.
mdriftmeyer is offline   2
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:37 PM   #60
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkwaffle View Post
I've been coming to this site for years and feel slighted that this picture sports the fox "news" logo.
Right. It was on Fox News, so obviously this didn't happen. The president made no mention of this in his speech. Tim Cook wasn't even there.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   4
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:37 PM   #61
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If the lies are so easy to count, perhaps you can list, say, your top 3. Maybe FOX used forged documents to try and take down a presidential nominee. Oops! No, that was actually CBS. Maybe FOX altered an audiotape to turn public opinion against a potential defendant in a murder trial. Oops! No, that was actually NBC. Maybe some FOX journalists were discovered to have committed plagiarism. Oops! No, that was the New York Times.
haxrnick is offline   9
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:38 PM   #62
MSM Hobbes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
Really, Macrumors?

Oh good grief… and if MR would have had a screen shot image from XYZ, there'd be people beotching about them too.

IT IS JUST A PHOTO OF TIM COOK.

Now, with that said, who is that sitting to Tim's left (our right)?
MSM Hobbes is offline   2
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:40 PM   #63
TC400
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to TC400
Steve would have never attended such bull ****...
TC400 is offline   6
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:40 PM   #64
hobo.hopkins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
US Corporate Tax rates with incentives is effectively equal or less than Ireland who bankrupted itself by giving their effective levels of tax rates to corporations. Bank of Ireland went belly up as did others and the EU bailed them out.
I wasn't making a comment as to its efficacy; the reason that major production and manufacturing occurs in Ireland is primarily due to its comparatively low corporate tax rate.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:41 PM   #65
cuestakid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSM Hobbes View Post
Oh good grief… and if MR would have had a screen shot image from XYZ, there'd be people beotching about them too.

I think it was the wife of the police officer who was shot 12 times in the shooting in Wisconsin this summer
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:42 PM   #66
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

I guess I'm the only person who sees a problem with having the CEO of a major corporation featured so prominently at the State of the Union address.

Lets's turn this around a bit. What if George Bush had featured the CEO of Exxon/Mobile the same way at one of his State of the Union addresses. Would anyone have had a problem with that?

I'm willing to bet that Exxon/Mobile employs more Americans than Apple.
Breaking Good is offline   7
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:42 PM   #67
webbuzz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuestakid View Post
I think it was the wife of the police officer who was shot 12 times in the shooting in Wisconsin this summer
You are correct.
webbuzz is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:42 PM   #68
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Really, Macrumors?

Does it matter what network the speech was watched on? You do realize it's broadcast exactly the same on all of them, right?
WestonHarvey1 is offline   3
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:43 PM   #69
jlgolson
Editor

Send a message via AIM to jlgolson
Quote:

If I'm recognizing her photo correctly, I believe it's Amanda E. McMillan from Jackson, Mississippi.
Quote:
For years Amanda McMillan worked as a secretary, doing many of the same duties as male salespeople but at lower pay. When she repeatedly asked for a promotion, McMillan was told sales was too dangerous for a woman, and that she would not be a good mother if she were on the road meeting customers. She sued the company for sex discrimination, and won. McMillan brought the suit because, “it was wrong. I could never look my girls in the face and then tell them they live in America and could be anything they wanted to be.” A mother of three, she lives in Jackson, MS.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:43 PM   #70
hobo.hopkins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I couldn't agree more; forget the network.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:46 PM   #71
jamezr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post
I guess I'm the only person who sees a problem with having the CEO of a major corporation featured so prominently at the State of the Union address.

Lets's turn this around a bit. What if George Bush had featured the CEO of Exxon/Mobile the same way at one of his State of the Union addresses. Would anyone have had a problem with that?

I'm willing to bet that Exxon/Mobile employs more Americans than Apple.
Wow...that was a great point....what if Bush had Bill Gates as his guest? Can you imagine the uproar?
I wonder how much Apple contributed to their campaign?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:47 PM   #72
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:

The question is whether this is substantive or just window dressing?

What will be interesting is where Apple decides to locate its plant.
KPOM is offline   1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:53 PM   #73
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:
12.5%, and big companies still move their profits fictitiously to some banana republic to avoid paying any of that. Reducing corporate taxes in the hope of bringing jobs from big companies is hopeless. Corporate income tax is paid by small companies, who earn too little to afford the overhead of accounting tricks of moving profits elsewhere. It is still a good idea to reduce them a bit, so the entrepreneurs who start and own small companies have more financial incentives, but don't expect that to make much of a difference for the big ones.
theBB is offline   2
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:53 PM   #74
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
The question is whether this is substantive or just window dressing?

What will be interesting is where Apple decides to locate its plant.
What will be interesting is to see what happens when the plant starts dumping toxic wastes.
Breaking Good is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:56 PM   #75
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
So which network (CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC) isn't a "major" new network?

----------

Quote:
Really, Macrumors?

Fox News watchers buy Apple products, too. Besides, just because MR used that image doesn't imply Arn endorses Fox News. I sometimes read news sources I disagree with in order to get a more "objective" viewpoint. I can filter out the hyperbole a bit easier on a partisan site than on an "objective" site.
KPOM is offline   3

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland