Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

durtralp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Hi all,

I just purchased a Logitech MOMO Force Feedback Racing Wheel.

OSX 10.5 does not recognize it and the software that came with it is for PC only so I installed it in XP in boot camp and it works fine but I want to install it in OSX so I can run my Mac Games, ie. Need For Speed.

I read other forums where people say they have the wheel running on a Mac.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks and Merry Christmas,
Ralph

iPapa

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Bumping this, as nobody gave the OP an answer. I am curious about getting the MOMO myself, but I need to know if it actually works under OS X 10.5.2.

I noticed that Apple recommends this steering wheel on their game hardware pages, but if I look up this racing wheel on Logitech's website, all I can find is that it is Windows only (also the latest software patch from Logitech - on their own site - is Windows only)...

durtralp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
MOMO on Mac 10.5

Sorry I didn't reply to my own post after I figured it out.

Yes, it works on all of my programs. NFS Carbon for mac and other racing programs under bootcamp.

Thanks,
Ralph

iPapa

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Thanks. That's confirmed then, it works both under OS X and Windows via Bootcamp. I'm off to buy the racing wheel. Woohoo :D

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Sorry I'm a bit late...

I got that Logitech wheel (see pic.), and have had a tremendous amount of fun playing with it on the following:

Power Mac G5, running Tiger.
- Nascar 2003
- F1 CS 2000
- 4 x 4 Evolution II
- Ford Racing 2

Mac Pro '08, running Leopard:
- Need for Speed Carbon
- Colin McRae 2005

Mac Pro '08, running XP SP 2:
- DTM Racer 2
- Richard Burns Rally
- EA Sports F1 2002

Couple of points: In Windows get the latest drivers from Logitech, but for the Mac, just leave it to Mac OS X.
The only issue I have is that some games support FF pretty badly. I have a problem getting the wheel to feel "just right" in Colin McRae 2005 for Mac (tried this on Power Mac G5 Quad aswell as a Mac Pro '08).
But games like Nascar 2003 react tremendously well!!

Attachments

• 1395.1.0.jpg
    1395.1.0.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 14,602

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
LOL, talking about resurrecting an ancient thread! :)

As described, FF on that wheel only works under 10.7 and / or 10.8 by overwriting the default kext.
In 10.5 and 10.6 the wheel with FF works perfectly.

Happy racing!

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
I find it amazing that we have to install old Logitech kexts to get this working. I have a G27, and couldn't believe that F1 2012 had no FF because of no drivers from Logitech in 10.7 or 10.8.
I had an exchange of emails with Logitech, who said they would like to do drivers - although it is a lot of work - but it takes cooperation from Apple as well.
Don't really no who to blame for this major omission from Lion and ML.

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
There is no overwriting of an original file as it does not exist in Lion and Mountain Lion. Hence, having to install the kext. The kext was omitted from 10.7 and 10.8 by Apple. When you freshly install Lion or Mountain Lion, it is not installed in the extensions folder where it should exist. Why they left it out is a mystery to me. It does not seem to conflict with any other software in OSX and I have done extensive testing on this. Very strange indeed.

The kext was installed in earlier versions of OSX and worked wonderful. It is still strange that I was able to play NASCAR 2003, VGP2, VGP3 and other games that utilize FFB on my PPC PowerMac G5 Quad fine, but on my newer Intel Macs, I had to install the kext. Again, why Apple left it out is strange. In the Apple developer network, I have spoken to a few people who have some theories about Why Apple left it out, but nothing concrete.

This has made it very difficult for people who purchased my game and others that utilize FFB to get their Logitech wheels working with full use of FFB. That is why I made the instructions for the solution available on my site. I cannot even count how many people have emailed me about it!

As far as who is to blame, Apple should not have left it out in my opinion, but the hardware companies are fully capable of writing software for their wheels also. I have spoken to Fanatec and Thrustmaster about writing OSX specific drivers for their wheels. They have such superb wheels that would be great to utilize fully on OSX. It is a shame that I can use all of these wheels fine in Windows sims, but not on my OSX games. When I first started developing Auto Sport Driving, I contacted both Fanatec and Thrustmaster and have done this again recently. Here are the latest replies from them on custom OSX software support for their wheels...

FROM FANATEC
"Thank you very much for your message. Right now we just cannot support the mac as the user base is pretty small and we are very much based on the competitive sim racing scene right now or on the consoles. We hope that we would be able to provide mac support as soon as the demand reaches a certain level which is worth the cost and effort. Right now we just couldn’t do it. But there could be some information which is eventually really relevant for you. If you set our wheels (all which are PS3 compatible) in PS3 mode they might be able to use the Logitech kext files directly. Definitely worth a try!"

Oh and as a postscript to this reply, I have tried my Fanatec wheels on Mac with the PS3 mode and it did not work.

THRUSTMASTER
"We would like to thank you for your interest in Thrustmaster products. We currently do not have driver support for the MAC but like to thank you for the idea. Your message will be forwarded to our development department. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions. Thrustmaster Technical Support is at your disposal for any other information you may need. You can reach us online at the following addresses:"

As a postscript to this reply, I love the T500 RS and would love to get that working with my game.

As an OSX racing game developer and racing game player since the early 80's (man am I old!), this is a little frustrating. But I do understand the reality that OSX just has such a small user base for racing games and the sometimes very expensive hardware that can be used for those games. Financially, it does not make a lot sense to direct resources to driver support for Mac when the numbers just are not there. Maybe sometime soon someone will step up.

@Bangbuss
I see in your post above that you posted a direct link from my site. I set up that download on one of my old servers for Mac Racers who want access to it. But it was really not meant to be posted as a direct download from any other website, just from my site. Maybe it seems like I am trying to get people to look at my Mac racing game? Well, that is kind of the trade-off. ;)

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Logitech Gaming Software Beta-Testing Program Confirms Future Support For Mac OS X

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/21/logitech-gaming-software-beta-testing-program-confirms-future-support-for-mac-os-x/

Monday, January 21st, 2013

According to a beta tester listing on OnlineBeta.com, Logitech is finally preparing to support OS X gamers. At long last, the company is working to release its “Gaming Software” for Mac OS X that lets users configure their Logitech gaming mice and keyboards to optimize performance and play.

It’s unclear what this type of software will do specifically, as the listing is kept very vague, but the most obvious conclusion is that the OS X software will configure the lights and controls of various gaming mice and keyboards sold by Logitech.

P.S. -- not sure if the Logitech Gaming Software covers force feedback steering wheels. But sounds like the beta is worth checking out if you really love Logitech game peripherals.

movalex

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2013
FFB KEXT File

If someone needs Force Feedback kext file for OSX 10.7 and 10.8, you can download it here: link

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Logitech Gaming Software Beta-Testing Program Confirms Future Support For Mac OS X

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/21/logitech-gaming-software-beta-testing-program-confirms-future-support-for-mac-os-x/

Monday, January 21st, 2013

According to a beta tester listing on OnlineBeta.com, Logitech is finally preparing to support OS X gamers. At long last, the company is working to release its “Gaming Software” for Mac OS X that lets users configure their Logitech gaming mice and keyboards to optimize performance and play.

It’s unclear what this type of software will do specifically, as the listing is kept very vague, but the most obvious conclusion is that the OS X software will configure the lights and controls of various gaming mice and keyboards sold by Logitech.

P.S. -- not sure if the Logitech Gaming Software covers force feedback steering wheels. But sounds like the beta is worth checking out if you really love Logitech game peripherals.

Logitech support confirmed to me that they have no plans to support FFB at this time on Mac OS X when I asked about beta access. It is strictly Mice and Keyboards.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Logitech support confirmed to me that they have no plans to support FFB at this time on Mac OS X when I asked about beta access. It is strictly Mice and Keyboards.
Ed, as we have discussed before, I am disgusted by Logitech's attitude to Mac racers.
Great games, like the ones you release are impossible without FF. F1 2012 being the best example.
Have we ever discovered why the FF kext was removed from Lion and ML? It works perfectly well, so why can't Logitech/Apple support it?
Is it a strategic decision rather than a technical one, do you think?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Ed, as we have discussed before, I am disgusted by Logitech's attitude to Mac racers.
Great games, like the ones you release are impossible without FF. F1 2012 being the best example.
Have we ever discovered why the FF kext was removed from Lion and ML? It works perfectly well, so why can't Logitech/Apple support it?
Is it a strategic decision rather than a technical one, do you think?

I don't know the inner workings of Apple or Logitech but I know supporting software costs money as does licensing FFB technology so I suspect it was costing them money to keep it working and included in the OS so they removed it.

If Logitech don't plan on supporting a feature like FFB for example then for Apple leaving it in the OS because it still just works is not really a valid option. If a feature has no planned support better remove it than say it is supported then be caught out if something breaks.

Edwin

This post is entirely personal speculation and has nothing to do with my employer and is not based on any privileged information just my gut feeling.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
This post is entirely personal speculation and has nothing to do with my employer and is not based on any privileged information just my gut feeling.
Edwin, I'm sure you are right, but it's a very depressing situation for the future of Mac gaming, and racing in particular, if the 2 major players are not showing any sign of supporting the platform.
Over the last couple of years, I had detected a considerable upturn in the availability and interest in games on the Mac, with guys like Feral and with Valve coming onboard with Steam.
Maybe I was wrong!
Iain

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Edwin, I'm sure you are right, but it's a very depressing situation for the future of Mac gaming, and racing in particular, if the 2 major players are not showing any sign of supporting the platform.

I would not go that far, FFB support exists in the OS (the 360 pad has full ForceFeedback in F1 2012 for example thanks to third party drivers) so individual manufacturers (or any third party software developer who would like to make a few bucks) can write a driver to connect to the framework.

Over the last couple of years, I had detected a considerable upturn in the availability and interest in games on the Mac, with guys like Feral and with Valve coming onboard with Steam.
Maybe I was wrong!
Iain

Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater, Logitech not supporting FFB wheels on the Mac does not suddenly make all the other good things disappear and as I said some third party developer can write a FFB driver after all Linux teams have gotten it working so I am sure it's possible.

For example - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Logitech_Racing_Wheel

Edwin

lomizmo

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2013
followed all the steps, but the wheel still does not work 100% in F1 2012

Hi

I followed all the steps and tips that I found on how to enable my MOMO wheel on my Mac. It works nicely in 'Auto Sport Driving', but not in F1 2012. The pedals work, but the steering doesn't. When I assign the controls and choose left and right to the left and right turn of the wheel, it only allows me to choose one direction. Also, if I leave the controls to the arrows and choose the steering wheel as an override, it doesn't work.

Any ideas on how to do the setup for F1 2012 ?

Thanks a lot !

Henk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.