Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:08 AM   #1
pmontanarella
macrumors 6502

Personal Email + iOS

Hi everyone,

I have a personal domain that I'd like to use for email. Unfortunately I was too late for the free Google Apps accounts. I was wondering what email hosting service you guys think is best for iOS and Mac (compatibility-wise). I am fine spending a little bit of money if necessary and also I should add that I do have a free Google Apps account linked to another domain (for a website I run with a few friends), should I add my other domain to that account or would it be unwise to mix it in due to the fact also some of my friends use that Google Apps account (none of them are admins)?

Thanks,
Pietro
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:03 PM   #2
aicul
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmontanarella View Post
I have a personal domain that I'd like to use for email.
You will notice that there are some excellent hosting services that give you much much more than you need for a yearly sum of approx $50.

What you are looking for is a hoster that uses the same space for mailbox and web files. Hence you can choose what you need.

Then any IMAP service will connect to Apple thru the "other" option during account creation. Typically you will find that the incoming server is mail.xxx.com and the outgoing is smtp.xxx.com (xxx being your domain).

I've manage small sites for years now, all I can say is accept the upfront yearly cost of about $50 and get yourself something that is reliable. Free accounts always have a catch somewhere. Is bitching about the catch worth the $50 annually?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:00 AM   #3
pmontanarella
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aicul View Post
You will notice that there are some excellent hosting services that give you much much more than you need for a yearly sum of approx $50.

What you are looking for is a hoster that uses the same space for mailbox and web files. Hence you can choose what you need.

Then any IMAP service will connect to Apple thru the "other" option during account creation. Typically you will find that the incoming server is mail.xxx.com and the outgoing is smtp.xxx.com (xxx being your domain).

I've manage small sites for years now, all I can say is accept the upfront yearly cost of about $50 and get yourself something that is reliable. Free accounts always have a catch somewhere. Is bitching about the catch worth the $50 annually?
Ok thanks for the reply. $50 I suppose is reasonable. Do you have any particular suggestions on what hosting service I should choose?

Thanks,
Pietro
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:38 AM   #4
aicul
macrumors 6502a

I'm uneasy about suggesting a hoster. But its probably easier to start looking for those that never propose a free plan. This way you get immediate clarity on what you purchase.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:28 PM   #5
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

If you're comfortable with $50 you can always go with Google Apps. That'd cover the yearly cost there.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Tags
email hosting, ios mail, mail, personal domain