Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Well I'm surprised.. But I'm going to hold on til the Haswell refresh. Does this mean that we won't see updates til much later in the year?

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
So nobody was buying them...

Actually if you look at Apple price history you will notice that they systematically lower prices of products that use new, expensive technology (like retina display) 6-8 months after release due to optimization in production. It's always happened and it will no doubt happen again with the new iMac in summer/autumn.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
"The PC industry over the years, the way that companies competed were two things: specs and price. And so people would want to say, "I've got the largest drive," or, "I've got the fastest processor," or in the camera business people began to say, "I've got the most megapixels."

The truth is, customers want a great experience, and they want quality. They want that "Aha!" moment each time that they use the product. And that's rarely a function of any of those things. These are things that technology companies invent because they can't have a great experience, and so they talk about the spec of something.
- Tim Cook

Ivan0310

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
Dallas, TX
So nobody was buying them...

I would think not--most things I've read about it say that the display is woefully underpowered. Apple needs to seriously upgrade the GPU to fix performance issues. Plus, there wasn't enough price difference compared to the 15" rMBP, so people probably were opting for it instead given its better performance.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I've predicted that apple would update the mbp to ivy in march.
So we shall see haswell mbp in late 2013 then around oct or nov

mbarriault

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Undoubtably people going to blame this on "decreased sales" and "Apple's end is here" etc. I think it's more likely that it's a step towards the Retina models replacing the non-Retina, which they can't do so long as they are more expensive. Time passes, component prices go down, and they can decrement the price at a good pace, rather than wait and wait and wait and BOOM their halo laptop line goes down by $500 each, upsetting the profits, supply chains, and people who recently bought the non-Retina models.

wschutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Hah. Walk around a college campus, ANY college campus and see how long you can hold onto that thought. Nice try though.

I think the comment is more lined up on the fact that Apple is not selling as many as it used to, or if you want it in another words... people are not replacing their laptops as often they used to :)

And I am one of those who won't replace the mac for a very long time. I have a MBP from 2011... and it serves all my needs (the retina display is appealing but for my use I prefer a good external monitor, and I don't want to pay for a new laptop when I don't need it).

Undoubtably people going to blame this on "decreased sales" and "Apple's end is here" etc. I think it's more likely that it's a step towards the Retina models replacing the non-Retina, which they can't do so long as they are more expensive. Time passes, component prices go down, and they can decrement the price at a good pace, rather than wait and wait and wait and BOOM their halo laptop line goes down by $500 each, upsetting the profits, supply chains, and people who recently bought the non-Retina models.

Apple's end is a fact. Regardless of the cost of the parts... innovation is something that Apple did in the past (and more than innovation it should be named as challenging the competitors by including technologies from others in their devices), and now is just a manufacturer of laptops and phones.
Its competition has taken over, and the revolution is over. Now it is time to share the market with the competitors who actually compete on both technology and price, the latter being something Apple still thinks is not worth fighting for (but we'll see how that changes as sales get hurt over time :)

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
"The PC industry over the years, the way that companies competed were two things: specs and price. And so people would want to say, "I've got the largest drive," or, "I've got the fastest processor," or in the camera business people began to say, "I've got the most megapixels."

The truth is, customers want a great experience, and they want quality. They want that "Aha!" moment each time that they use the product. And that's rarely a function of any of those things. These are things that technology companies invent because they can't have a great experience, and so they talk about the spec of something.
- Tim Cook

This still holds true. The site mentions the increase in performance and reduction of price. However, it doesn't gloat about it being its only feature. The retina page boasts OS X features and the experience.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
When do you guys think the Haswell refresh will happen? I'm in dire need of a new laptop, but I can wait a couple months if it means a new Processor/spec bump. Fwiw, I'm interested in the 15" rMBP

Haswell is being released in June. However, I have no idea of when Apple plans to upgrade the 15-inch model to feature these processors, especially if the refresh came in February (although a minor one). The new 15-inch models can come as early as June, but they may come later (which is more likely), in July or August, perhaps.

That's an interesting move for Apple. I didn't think price drops were coming so early.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
When do you guys think the Haswell refresh will happen? I'm in dire need of a new laptop, but I can wait a couple months if it means a new Processor/spec bump. Fwiw, I'm interested in the 15" rMBP

It'll be a little while yet, June/July time.

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
Haswell should happen between May 27 and June 7, 2013. Not sure when Apple decides to refresh them, but it should happen pretty soon afterwards.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Nice move by Apple. Hopefully this jumpstarts sales. It's a great product.

ajkst1

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2003
Price drop could also signal that they've cut the cost of making them? I know it goes against the reasoning that lower costs equals a higher margin, but maybe Apple is setting up for a Retina only MBP lineup? While Retina Airs sound amazing, I still think they require a bit more oomph then they have.

Also, take a look at the pricing scheme of the current lineup without the 13" Non-retina MBP:

Macbook Air: 11" $999/$1099
Macbook Air: 13" $1199/$1399
Macbook Pro: R13" $1499/$1699
Macbook Pro: 15" $1799
Macbook Pro: R15 $2199/$2799

I see the 13" Non-Retina Macbook Pro going away soon. It doesn't "fit". If they can bring the pricing on the 15" RMBP to $1999/$2499 (a similar drop to what the 13" RMBP saw), Then maybe you could make the argument that the 15" MBP could go away as well. Retina displays on the MBP, regular displays (and longer battery life) on the MBA.

Just a thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.