Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
I foresee the stock price getting a beating today. There goes the margins.

Frankly, the retinas are all overpriced to begin with. This is just the start of a return to more normal pricing.

In the old days Apple gave feature bumps while maintaining the pricing. The retina price bumps were pretty severe. Even with this price change they are still $400-600 over what they should be.

Not a lot of people are going to buy a $2,200 15" notebook (let alone a $2,800 one). They need to be in the $1,600 to $2,200 range and even that is a stretch over a windows laptop.

Its a problem that Apple is making retina sound mainstream rather than exotic so people can complain the margins suck when they reduce the entry level price of a 15" laptop to ONLY $2,200. This may be a case where the cost of the tech is just not such that it can make an affordable product.

I guess you can still find a $4-5k tv but no one's going to buy that either for whatever extra features it may claim to have.

[It's also very possible that production costs are going down / yield going up as more retina screens are made.]

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Hate to say it, but I don't think they'll come out with retina airs. I just don't believe that form factor will allow a big enough battery to compensate for the retina display. Plus, what would differentiate it from the pro model?

My opinion though.

What... Ever?

KevinMHC

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
lolololol i just returned my refurb 13 with 128gb for the 256gb... free ssd upgrade and $100 cheaper

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Hopefully this is the case.

My issue was that the price was extorniately high for them to make an initial dent, and as others have said, the screen had issues meaning Apple couldn't really justify the price.

The price was "extroniately" high because the computer had the highest-density screen on the planet.

I'm constantly amazed how people expect to get absolute cutting-edge technology at bargain-basement prices...

EDIT: ooh, the specs were just updated in the Finnish store. And the price of hi-end 15" went down 150e. So I would now get twice as much RAM, 100MHz more CPU-speed for 150e less.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Still gonna wait for the Rev2/Haswell. Especially since there was no price reduction in the UK store.

Last edited:

World Citizen

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
The prize of the MBr 15" is ridicules in the Danish Apple Store.

17.599,00 DKK equivalent to 3,179.29 USD!

And in the US it is 2,199.00 USD.

Sure there are higher taxes here but that is far from the only reason!

No, it's the same price... From the 1000 extra you mention, none goes to Apple... it all goes to taxes and import and whatever the Danish government thinks is fair.. The same happens in the Netherlands.. It looks like we pay more.. but excluding the taxes and import.. I pay just the same..

____
I would have expected the Macbooks all to be R around this time... I was hoping that we all could call them Macbooks again... and there where no non-R Macbooks. Maybe in the next line.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
crap now i could have gotten the higher end 13 for the price of my low end 13 retina ^^ i have the worst timing ever

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Sounds like they are planning on eliminating the non-retina MacBook Pro's. Drop the retina's to be more in line with the non-retina just before rev; does this indicate the end of the line for the non-retina?

Work just purchased me a nice new non-retina MBP (still waiting for delivery). I've been worried that they would drop that line, from their stand point it makes sense to. But I like the upgradability of the non-retina; when it arrives it will be retrofitted with 16GB of RAM and 750gb fusion drive. Should be today or tomorrow. :D

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Mmmmm.....fully loaded rMBP is now cheaper. 16GB RAM is standard too. <sigh> Damn you Apple for making me want to buy things.

iThinkIt

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Florida, USA
Good thing my MBA i got last month was a POS with a vertical line on the screeen on arrival :confused:... sent it back.. came back with same issue :mad:.. Got my $ back. Will wait a few months to see what they do with the MBA's then get one.. again. :cool:

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Sounds like they are planning on eliminating the non-retina MacBook Pro's. Drop the retina's to be more in line with the non-retina just before rev; does this indicate the end of the line for the non-retina?

Work just purchased me a nice new non-retina MBP (still waiting for delivery). I've been worried that they would drop that line, from their stand point it makes sense to. But I like the upgradability of the non-retina; when it arrives it will be retrofitted with 16GB of RAM and 750gb fusion drive. Should be today or tomorrow. :D
I'll be sad to see the non-retina go, but tech and Apple has to move on for the best.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Can someone explain what the Haswell refresh is? I keep seeing it mentioned.

It's the next generation Intel processor, which is due out later this year. It will significantly boost graphics performance and improve battery life.

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
Waiting for Haswell as well. Still, glad to see that SSD price and other stuff updated. I already have my money saved for a 15 rMBP. Will be my first laptop.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Makes me almost want to buy it, but the Haswell refresh is too tempting, especially since we may get 802.11ac.

Plus I want to see what the next round of Macbook Air brings.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
It's the next generation Intel processor, which is due out later this year. It will significantly boost graphics performance and improve battery life.
Apple's always going to update I guess. Still, I'm kinda annoyed the cMBPs I have are obsolete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.