Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesseluke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
So I want to sit down and enjoy a rented movie. Let's see what's available on iTunes.

New & Noteworthy sounds lie the place to look for a rental ... or is it????

WOW Skyfall is here. - but it's not for rent. let's try again, Agro? nope! and so it goes on & on & on...

Why isn't there a place to simply see my options for what is rentable?

Apple use to be easy - now it's a BIG pain in the ... you know what!!!!!

I miss Steve Jobs looking out for us. Apple is turning into a greedy money hungry corporation and I am seriously pissed.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
If that makes your head spin ask why you can't buy music on the AppleTV. That's just bonkers.

And Steve Jobs? He was around when MobileMe was launched. That man had his share of blunders.

[EDIT]
I see what you're saying, you want a Rent category. Yeah, that'd be nice.

Last edited:

Wolffie

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
So I want to sit down and enjoy a rented movie. Let's see what's available on iTunes.

New & Noteworthy sounds lie the place to look for a rental ... or is it????

WOW Skyfall is here. - but it's not for rent. let's try again, Agro? nope! and so it goes on & on & on...

Why isn't there a place to simply see my options for what is rentable?

Apple use to be easy - now it's a BIG pain in the ... you know what!!!!!

I miss Steve Jobs looking out for us. Apple is turning into a greedy money hungry corporation and I am seriously pissed.

That is a great idea. I swear they used to have a For Rent page.
A better idea would be to tell Apple that via feedback page.
Then it might happen.

Itunes Store Requests.

chambord

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
I can only find "Trailers" half the time with Apple TV. I wish they'd just hire Plex to design UI for them.

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
Almost 100% of the movies are available to rent.

The reason those movies you selected are not yet available to rent is because they are not officially out yet (pre street date). Skyfall was available to purchase last week but it does not come out until this Tuesday. Same for Argo. It's available now but wont be in stores until next week. Studios don't want you to rent it before the official street date, I guess. They want you to buy it.

I don't know what kind of deal Apple has with the movie studios, but I see it as a bonus to be able to buy a movie a week earlier. (Although I don't typically buy movies from iTunes).

jesseluke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Almost 100% of the movies are available to rent.

The reason those movies you selected are not yet available to rent is because they are not officially out yet (pre street date). Skyfall was available to purchase last week but it does not come out until this Tuesday. Same for Argo. It's available now but wont be in stores until next week. Studios don't want you to rent it before the official street date, I guess. They want you to buy it.

I don't know what kind of deal Apple has with the movie studios, but I see it as a bonus to be able to buy a movie a week earlier. (Although I don't typically buy movies from iTunes).

whats your point Mark? I'm asking why Apple doesn't let me see a list of what's available and you are confimring that they do not.

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
whats your point Mark? I'm asking why Apple doesn't let me see a list of what's available and you are confimring that they do not.

I guess my point was that it would be redundant to show a list of whats available to rent as nearly all movies are available to rent (minus the few movies that hit before street date)

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
I rent my movies exclusively from iTunes and mostly on my ATV2. The HD movies are usually a dollar cheaper than Comcast. Plus, Comcast doesn't have cover art and their movie descriptions are crap.

I find it extremely frustrating to find movies in iTunes as well. Not necessarily when they are for sale before rent (I appreciate the option to get them early) but more the fact that new releases or new and noteworthy never have more than 20 titles or so.

I would much rather a New Release category that you could then breakdown by 1-3 months, 3-6 months, 6-9 months, 9-12 months or just by the current and last year i.e. 2013 and 2012. I can't keep up with all the new releases and I hate having to search for a title. I rarely fire up the ATV knowing what I want to watch.

And to be fare, iTunes isn't the only service that sucks at this... Netflix and Amazon Prime suck at it as well. Do their developers not use their own service? And, it would be nice to get a condensed cover art with list feature in the ATV as well. I like the cover art because it can help me identify the movie but having a list to scroll through quickly would be very helpful at times.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The reason those movies you selected are not yet available to rent is because they are not officially out yet (pre street date).

Some content simply isn't available to rent. Look at all the other EON Bond movies, for purchase only. Even on Amazon VOD. (EDIT: Skyfall however is now available for rent on Amazon).

B

jesseluke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Some content simply isn't available to rent.

B

Why are you even stating that obvious point?

My point is that I want a list of what IS for rent. Not all of them mixed in together.

So, what is your pooint sherlock?

----------

I don't remember asking WHY they aren't for rent. You comment is worthless to my question.

I simply want to know WHAT is for rent & what isn't. I don't like that they mix them up.

So what's your point?

jertronic

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2011
I am currently on Argo in iTunes movies. How about an indication of the date in which you can rent the sucka? Kind of stupid. Rent and Buy are just grayed out.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
So, what is your pooint sherlock?

I was responding to MarkG21, not you. Just because you started the thread it's not all about you, and knock off the "sherlock" stuff please.

nearly all movies are available to rent (minus the few movies that hit before street date)

Some content simply isn't available to rent. Look at all the other EON Bond movies, for purchase only. Even on Amazon VOD. (EDIT: Skyfall however is now available for rent on Amazon).

None of the classic Bond movies were available for rent, only purchase when I looked a few weeks back. Skyfall is an exception, and probably only for a limited time if the rest of the series is any indication.

I agree that it would be nice if they had a landing page for rentals only, but not that "nearly all movies are available to rent".

B

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Apple just doesn't like you. Seriously, it actually picks out people to annoy so much that they make a thread that comes across that their panties got all knotted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.