Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:42 PM   #1
AlbertEinstein
macrumors regular

The PowerBook G3 "Lombard" running OS X Public Beta Challenge

Mission:
I have decided to use my PowerBook G3 Lombard running OS X Public Beta as my main computer this entire week, starting today. It's connected using an original Dial-Up modem from 1999.

Hardware:
With the amazing power of 512 MB memory, 400 MHz and two batteries for the amazing amount of 10 hours idle use.

Why:
With the latest discussions about the PowerPC and it's overall sluggishness compared to the Intel machines i wanted to use my old trusty Lombard that ran the early beta of OS X to see if that really was the case, as i recall it being pretty fast. I'm also a little nutty.

Software:
AppleWorks 6.0.4
Mesa3
TIFFany 3
PixelNchance
Fetch
OmniWeb 4

This weeks work:
-Create a outline for the coming financial quarter.
-Hold a presentation for the sales division.
-Fix up the "marketing material" (pictures)
-Write the last chapter of that novel that i didn't finish.
-Diagrams, diagrams, diagrams...

Wish me the best of luck.
AlbertEinstein is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:23 PM   #2
G4TheWin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertEinstein View Post
Mission:
I have decided to use my PowerBook G3 Lombard running OS X Public Beta as my main computer this entire week, starting today. It's connected using an original Dial-Up modem from 1999.

Hardware:
With the amazing power of 512 MB memory, 400 MHz and two batteries for the amazing amount of 10 hours idle use.

Why:
With the latest discussions about the PowerPC and it's overall sluggishness compared to the Intel machines i wanted to use my old trusty Lombard that ran the early beta of OS X to see if that really was the case, as i recall it being pretty fast. I'm also a little nutty.

Software:
AppleWorks 6.0.4
Mesa3
TIFFany 3
PixelNchance
Fetch
OmniWeb 4

This weeks work:
-Create a outline for the coming financial quarter.
-Hold a presentation for the sales division.
-Fix up the "marketing material" (pictures)
-Write the last chapter of that novel that i didn't finish.
-Diagrams, diagrams, diagrams...

Wish me the best of luck.
If you want your Lombard to be speedy, don't install Public Beta. Panther (Mac OS X 10.3) runs way faster, as there are no speed enhancements whatsoever in Public Beta. Plus, your software selection will be a little less out of date. Unless you really want Public Beta, don't try it. Not only that, but your hardware clock has to be set to before 2001, if I'm not mistaken. Unless your laptop has a dead PRAM battery, that is.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Imixmuan
macrumors 6502

I salute you

and your inherent courage, but....I have to agree for G4thewin here, Panther would be a much better performer. I have rarely expeirenced pain such as trying out the Mac OS X public beta on my 400 mhz Titanium G4 back in the day. It was horrible. Mac OS X really stood out in the early 2000's, as each version of OS X ran better than the last, until Leopard that is. Maybe performance is not at all the point of your challenge. Its your challenge, of course.

Classilla running in Classic is probably a better (and safer) bet than Omniweb 4, I haven't used Omniweb 4 in a long time, but its very old, and I am pretty sure wasn't webkit based. Kaiser really has done a lot to make Classilla secure since 2009 and as reasonably web standard compliant as he possibly can.

I demand updates and youtube videos of your PowerPC adventure. Please.
Imixmuan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:16 PM   #4
ickystay
macrumors regular

Oh boy! Now you can hook up all your old scsi devices!
PB G3 Pismo 400MHz 1GB OSX 10.3.9 OS 9.2.2
ickystay is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:43 PM   #5
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickystay View Post
Yikes, I remember 10.0 through 10.2.8 being slow...10.3 was great, and using XPostFacto, 10.4 wasn't that bad either.

I remember *feeling* like a beta tester when running 10.0...
blesscheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:56 AM   #6
AlbertEinstein
macrumors regular

Quote:
If you want your Lombard to be speedy, don't install Public Beta.
Quote:
I have to agree for G4thewin here, Panther would be a much better performer.
Just to make it clear: This computer never got any updates beyond the Public Beta. The PRAM died a long time ago and it was soon replaced with a Pismo (running OS X 10.0.4).

Quote:
Classilla running in Classic is probably a better (and safer) bet than Omniweb 4, I haven't used Omniweb 4 in a long time, but its very old, and I am pretty sure wasn't webkit based.
True, but this install does not contain Mac OS 9. My browsing needs are miniscule, only visiting MacRumors, Ars & corporate errands (which happen to be optimized for old browsers).

Quote:
Sorry, they are reserved for the PowerMac.

Quote:
Yikes, I remember 10.0 through 10.2.8 being slow...10.3 was great, and using XPostFacto, 10.4 wasn't that bad either.

I remember *feeling* like a beta tester when running 10.0...
The Public Beta is actually quite OK. It runs smoothly and seems to boot faster than my Cube G4 (running OS X 10.4, not slimmed with XPost).

Quote:
I demand updates and youtube videos of your PowerPC adventure. Please.
Update coming soon...
AlbertEinstein is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:59 PM   #7
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertEinstein View Post
(running OS X 10.4, not slimmed with XPost).
XPostFacto is not a slimmer, it is a means of installing versions of OS X on unsupported machines.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:41 AM   #8
AlbertEinstein
macrumors regular

Day 1:
Yesterday was mostly settling in with the system. It actually feels really good. This was the top of the line Lombard when it was shipped, and that is defeniently reflected upon the overall snappy-ness.

OmniWeb 4 works great for viewing MacRumors. Sure, there are certain rendering problems, but otherwise it works fairly well.

A problem that i encountered was that the version of Quicktime that the Public Beta was sent out with was a old version of Quicktime 4. It's not very optimized and crashes quite frequently. This is also proving to be a problem with AppleWorks, which requires Quicktime 4.1.2, and no version of 4.1.2 works on the Public Beta as it was an update for OS 9. If anyone has any ideas, don't hesitate to pm.

Another problem is that i can't connect harddrives nor USB sticks. Not a big problem per se, but still a minor annoyance. Mice work fine.

Will keep you all updated as this goes on.

Quote:
XPostFacto is not a slimmer, it is a means of installing versions of OS X on unsupported machines.
Sorry, i was thinking of something else. My bad.
AlbertEinstein is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:49 AM   #9
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Yes, you are a little nutty!! I wish you luck with the week..

Videos/pics & benchmarks of things (page loading, boot times, etc) would really be appreciated! If you need any other software maybe we can help
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:25 AM   #10
AlbertEinstein
macrumors regular

Day 2

Clocked it. It starts up in about 15 seconds and shuts down in about 3. Neato.

For you who are interested in the system, here it is:
Thumb resize.
With the power of 400 MHz and 512 MB of RAM and two batteries it is a beast of a machine.
Thumb resize.
Sadly, it has some flaws. The top i cracked and the PRAM is completely dead. Some of the ports appear to have rusted as well.

But enough about the PowerBook and on towards the OS!

Thumb resize.
Say hello to Finder! Or "Desktop" as he is called in the Public Beta.

Thumb resize.
And the Apple in the middle. Abusing it is to no avail, it is only a decoration.

Thumb resize.
The dock looks good on stills, but with magnification turned on it becomes a huge resource-hog. (Take note of Internet Explorer!)

Thumb resize.
Working with "Sketch" and Image Importer. Pretty neat software.

Thumb resize.
Quicktime eats processing power like mad! Unusable, but the VR's and trailers Apple provide run okay-ish.

That's all for today, actually got some work done as well. But that's all I'm allowed to say.
AlbertEinstein is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:15 AM   #11
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Looks brilliant!!! Keep us in the loop (Y)
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:59 PM   #12
Goftrey
macrumors 68000

Any updates?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs