Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:32 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Apple Officially Loses 'iPhone' Trademark Dispute in Brazil, Appeals and Lawsuits Coming




BBC News reports that Apple has officially lost a trademark ruling in Brazil over the "iPhone" name, with officials declaring that a company now selling Android phones under the name is the rightful owner of the term based on its trademark application from 2000.

The impact on Apple appears to be limited for the time being, however, as Apple is reportedly pursuing an appeal and can continue selling the iPhone under its present name in the country.
Quote:
The INPI added that its decision only applied to handsets, and that the California-based company continued to have exclusive rights to use the iPhone name elsewhere including on clothing, in software and across publications.

Apple can also continue to sell iPhone-branded handsets in what is Latin America's biggest market - however, Gradiente has an option of suing for exclusivity.
Apple's case hinged on the fact that Gradiente had not launched a product with the "iPhone" name until late last year, despite having applied for the trademark over a decade earlier. Trademark officials did not, however, agree that IGB/Gradiente should be stripped of the rights to the mark.

Gradiente noted last week that it was open to selling the rights to the iPhone trademark to Apple, but it appears that the dispute may continue through appeals and lawsuits for some time before a settlement might be reached.

Article Link: Apple Officially Loses 'iPhone' Trademark Dispute in Brazil, Appeals and Lawsuits Coming
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:33 AM   #2
frayne182
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
lol

*grabs popcorn*
__________________
Custom Gaming PC ; Google Nexus 7 ; iPhone4 ; iPhone5
frayne182 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:34 AM   #3
AdeFowler
macrumors 68020
 
AdeFowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England
Amazed that Apple didn't make an offer for the name in 2006 or earlier.
__________________
15 2012 MacBook Pro | Mac Pro 6-core | 30 ACD
64gb 3g iPad and an iPod or two
AdeFowler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:37 AM   #4
I WAS the one
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2006
What is that?
- an iPhone
That's not an iPhone that's an iCrap!
-look at the box man, this is an original iPhone... I'm not crazy!
True, you are not crazy boy, you are screwed!
-FU!
__________________
If were a religion... We all were sinners right now.
I WAS the one is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:37 AM   #5
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
I guarantee that Apple isn't going to bring manufacturing to Brazil now. Not smart, Brazil. Not smart.
__________________
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:50 AM   #6
mabhatter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
I guarantee that Apple isn't going to bring manufacturing to Brazil now. Not smart, Brazil. Not smart.
Now moving jobs shouldn't trump the law.... (Wink, wink)

CIA hasn't toppled any Latin American governments lately... If they wait too long, more leaders will grow a spine like Chavez. Maybe Apple would make a donation.... That's out of line and mean too...

It's a good thing Apple's execs have a considerably better moral compass than say Oil or Steel barons in the past.
mabhatter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:52 AM   #7
turtlez
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
was Apple the one to set the trend for small letter capital letter? eg. eMac iMac. I remember playing online games and everyone was always iSomething. even the movie I, Robot kind of seems like it got the idea from there. Whoever set this trend should have right to use the term since it reflects upon themselves/company
turtlez is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:54 AM   #8
OllyW
Moderator
 
OllyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Black Country, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlez View Post
was Apple the one to set the trend for small letter capital letter? eg. eMac iMac. I remember playing online games and everyone was always iSomething. even the movie I, Robot kind of seems like it got the idea from there. Whoever set this trend should have right to use the term since it reflects upon themselves/company
They sell their phone using the IPHONE brand-name.
__________________
Some Apple stuff
Some other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/disco-tramps
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:59 AM   #9
moxxey
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
I guarantee that Apple isn't going to bring manufacturing to Brazil now. Not smart, Brazil. Not smart.
You mean unlike the iPhone's that are currently being manufactured in Brazil?

If a company owns a valid trademark, a company from another country cannot simply come in and take it over, simply because they 'forgot' or couldn't get their trademark in that particular country.

If I register a trademark here in the UK, today, then the mighty Apple chooses the same trademark everywhere else in the world, in five years time, it doesn't mean they have a legal right to *my* trademark, registered first.
moxxey is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:01 PM   #10
OllyW
Moderator
 
OllyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Black Country, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxxey View Post
If I register a trademark here in the UK, today, then the mighty Apple chooses the same trademark everywhere else in the world, in five years time, it doesn't mean they have a legal right to *my* trademark, registered first.
As they will probably find out if they try to launch an "iTV".
__________________
Some Apple stuff
Some other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/disco-tramps

Last edited by OllyW; Feb 13, 2013 at 01:23 PM.
OllyW is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:10 PM   #11
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603
 
ArtOfWarfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlez View Post
was Apple the one to set the trend for small letter capital letter? eg. eMac iMac. I remember playing online games and everyone was always iSomething. even the movie I, Robot kind of seems like it got the idea from there. Whoever set this trend should have right to use the term since it reflects upon themselves/company
I, Robot was a book written in 1950.
ArtOfWarfare is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:16 PM   #12
winston1236
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ><
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabhatter View Post
Now moving jobs shouldn't trump the law.... (Wink, wink)

CIA hasn't toppled any Latin American governments lately... If they wait too long, more leaders will grow a spine like Chavez. Maybe Apple would make a donation.... That's out of line and mean too...

It's a good thing Apple's execs have a considerably better moral compass than say Oil or Steel barons in the past.
Ah yes. Venezuela. The country that cant afford to import anything due to their worthless money thanks to hugo.
winston1236 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:22 PM   #13
nagromme
macrumors G5
 
nagromme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
I guarantee that Apple isn't going to bring manufacturing to Brazil now. Not smart, Brazil. Not smart.
"Brazil" is not a single entity that can alter its own laws case-by-case over a matter that is much smaller to Apple than the manufacturing is.

The legal process is how these negotiations happen, it seems, but in the end, Apple should pay: this company had the iPhone trademark long before Apple had the iPhone.

Now, Apple DID have the iMac (not sure iBook, iPod, iTunes) first. Some companies did try to cash in on that by mimicking it, but I don't think it's a 100% certainty that that's what went on here.
nagromme is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:27 PM   #14
Snookerman
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
I guarantee that Apple isn't going to bring manufacturing to Brazil now. Not smart, Brazil. Not smart.
I'm sure all the Brazilians are glad that their legal system isn't guided by the market.
Snookerman is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:31 PM   #15
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxxey View Post
You mean unlike the iPhone's that are currently being manufactured in Brazil?

If a company owns a valid trademark, a company from another country cannot simply come in and take it over, simply because they 'forgot' or couldn't get their trademark in that particular country.

If I register a trademark here in the UK, today, then the mighty Apple chooses the same trademark everywhere else in the world, in five years time, it doesn't mean they have a legal right to *my* trademark, registered first.
And? Apple isn't going to move more manufacturing to Brazil. That's all I'm saying.
__________________
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:52 PM   #16
Krazy Bill
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Attention Apple: They beat you to the trademark by a few years - well before the iPhone was even conceived. That's why we have the ability to "trademark".


Addendum to Apple: Just buy Brazil.
Krazy Bill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:02 PM   #17
tdtran1025
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Here we go again.
tdtran1025 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:33 PM   #18
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
I guarantee that Apple isn't going to bring manufacturing to Brazil now. Not smart, Brazil. Not smart.
The Brazilian government has zilt to do with that - this is called application of law as it is supposed to happen in any civilized nation out there.

In fact, Apple and its partners have already been manufacturing there and will continue to do so, for obvious reasons...Brazil is the 6th largest economy in the world and the natural leader of the Southern Hemisphere - in other words, a huge target market for Apple, as already confirmed by Cook and others.

And no, we do not speak Spanish nor are we part of the prejudiced and nonsensical US-invented "latino" community. So for those with some knowledge of Brazilian Portuguese, you may check this "explanatory" video by Gradiente - they say that the idea behind "IPHONE" came from "INTERNET PHONE" back then (whether one believes that or not is irrelevant now):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkRf6...layer_embedded

Ultimately, the INPI has simply applied Law 9279 on IPR - Apple has stated that it will appeal on "removal for non use" grounds. However, this is a lost cause, as it is clear that IGB DID release something since the registration was finally granted to that company in 2008 (the five-year period counts from effective registration and NOT deposit of the request).

As I said before, Apple will have to shut up and pay; simple as that.
50548 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:14 PM   #19
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
This Brazilian company is acting very typical and they have every LEGAL right to do so. I can't wait to hear how much they settle for...
lolkthxbai is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:25 PM   #20
shortcrust
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
I guarantee that Apple isn't going to bring manufacturing to Brazil now. Not smart, Brazil. Not smart.
Smart?! Do you really think it would be 'smart' of a Brazilian court to base a decision on the need to keep Apple happy rather that the need to uphold the laws of their country? I think it would be shameful, and I'm pretty sure Brazil isn't that desperate.

Some people on here have a really screwed up world view.
shortcrust is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:35 PM   #21
borneo76
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Indonesia
move on apple, we want your innovation, instead of new lawsuit
borneo76 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:37 PM   #22
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
The Brazilian government has zilt to do with that - this is called application of law as it is supposed to happen in any civilized nation out there.

In fact, Apple and its partners have already been manufacturing there and will continue to do so, for obvious reasons...Brazil is the 6th largest economy in the world and the natural leader of the Southern Hemisphere - in other words, a huge target market for Apple, as already confirmed by Cook and others.

And no, we do not speak Spanish nor are we part of the prejudiced and nonsensical US-invented "latino" community. So for those with some knowledge of Brazilian Portuguese, you may check this "explanatory" video by Gradiente - they say that the idea behind "IPHONE" came from "INTERNET PHONE" back then (whether one believes that or not is irrelevant now):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkRf6...layer_embedded

Ultimately, the INPI has simply applied Law 9279 on IPR - Apple has stated that it will appeal on "removal for non use" grounds. However, this is a lost cause, as it is clear that IGB DID release something since the registration was finally granted to that company in 2008 (the five-year period counts from effective registration and NOT deposit of the request).

As I said before, Apple will have to shut up and pay; simple as that.
If I were in charge of Apple, I would just simply not sell the phone in Brazil. Sure, make it available for sale online, but have the shipment of the phone come from some other country like: Colombia, Argentina..even Ecuador. Then that creates jobs in those other countries for shipment(not too many though) and then each government gets nice little tax incentives for the product all while Apple still makes money on the phone, keeps manufacturing facilities in Brazil, and doesn't infringe on the trademark. Done and done.
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:43 AM   #23
john pope.
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
If I were in charge of Apple, I would just simply not sell the phone in Brazil. Sure, make it available for sale online, but have the shipment of the phone come from some other country like: Colombia, Argentina..even Ecuador. Then that creates jobs in those other countries for shipment(not too many though) and then each government gets nice little tax incentives for the product all while Apple still makes money on the phone, keeps manufacturing facilities in Brazil, and doesn't infringe on the trademark. Done and done.

yeah, because it makes sense to sell only a unlocked, more expensive iPhone.
And it would be even cooler to pay triple taxes on it, since Apple is, right now, manufacturing iPhones in Brazil. According to your sugestion Apple should export all the iPhones being made in Brazil to a near country, to reimport then when they are sold.
Jeez. I'm really happy you're not the guy in charge of Apple. Don't even want to imagine what else would you do .
john pope. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:39 AM   #24
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Is a trademark still valid if you never actually use it? Isn't there some sort of statute of limitations? My guess is Gradiente will happily take a big wad of cash from Apple in exchange for Apple having the rights to iPhone in Brazil.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneo76 View Post
move on apple, we want your innovation, instead of new lawsuit
Yeah I'm sure this takes up so much of Apple's time. Because we all know no one at Apple can walk and chew gum at the same time.
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:45 AM   #25
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by john pope. View Post
yeah, because it makes sense to sell only a unlocked, more expensive iPhone.
And it would be even cooler to pay triple taxes on it, since Apple is, right now, manufacturing iPhones in Brazil. According to your sugestion Apple should export all the iPhones being made in Brazil to a near country, to reimport then when they are sold.
Jeez. I'm really happy you're not the guy in charge of Apple. Don't even want to imagine what else would you do .
It does make sense because people will pay for them and I was unaware that cell phone companies in Brazil were subsidizing newer phones anyway. I am aware that the U.N. and the Brazilian government were giving low-income families less capable phones, but I thought that most major phones had to be purchased at full retail price.

Who said anything about shipping the iPhones made in Brazil to a nearby country for sale in Brazil? I guess that's the way it could be read, but as of right now, the phones in Brazil are being sent elsewhere and I'm sure Apple already has agreements with the Brazilian government regarding taxes that most likely benefit both parties.

I guess my idea of having the iPhones shipped from bordering countries was the major problem in articulating my position. The shipment would simply have to come from another country to avoid infringement of the trademark. This doesn't involve paying triple taxes. If they are also sold per unit, then the buyer will be responsible for the associated taxes and import fees. After all, iPhones were being manufactured in China before they were even available for sale there, and people in China were buying them online and having them shipped there. What's the difference? That "accidental" business model seems to have worked out just fine.
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Files For iWatch Trademark ... It's Coming pingjintao Mac Peripherals 6 Jul 6, 2013 04:39 PM
Firm Owning 'IPHONE' Trademark in Brazil Open to Selling Mark to Apple MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 140 Feb 26, 2013 03:48 AM
Firm Launches 'IPHONE' Brand of Android Phones, Touts Trademark Ownership in Brazil MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 264 Feb 5, 2013 10:50 PM
Apple sues "ifone' in Mexico, loses. The ifone trademark was filed in 2003! Phokus Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 2 Nov 2, 2012 10:28 AM
Apple Settles Chinese 'iPad' Trademark Dispute with Proview for $60 Million MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 153 Jul 23, 2012 03:53 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC