Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drkmnx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
I got my new iMac 27' with fusion drive.
Everything looks great expect booting time.
The booting time is about 40 sec.
Is it normal or not ?

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
wait for others to re but I remembe that the base 21,5 no fusion should boot in 35 seconds (or maybe I am confused)...

TeeZee1000

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
I has a similar issue with istat installed, once I uninstalled it, my quick boot times were back. I would check your "boot up" software if you have any? Also a external drive might hinder the speed as well.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
What are you considering boot time? Are you considering the time from pressing the power button to when it turns on, or from the time you turn on the power button to when it asks for user password to log in? If its the 1st one then yeah thats really slow, but from when I turn it on or restart and it gets to user login screen 40 seconds sounds about right?

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Takes 4 sec to get to the apple and 6.5 sec to get to desktop. 3tb fusion 3.4 i7

Basically it screams.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Takes 4 sec to get to the apple and 6.5 sec to get to desktop. 3tb fusion 3.4 i7

Basically it screams.

Yeah, mine is super fast as well. I used to turn my computer on, go away, grab a drink, get a back rub, then watch the wife make me a sandwich. When I returned it might just have been ready. BUT now, I barely got time to readjust the underpants wedgie that my chair so lovingly gives me.

Megaoctane

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2012
Norway
Check what program's you have installed lately, or try to re-install OS.
I take it you checked the specs that you really got a fusion drive, and not just the regular HDD. Mistakes can happen..

s.farrelly

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
I have the same problem as well. sometimes it is fast and other times very slow in booting up.

Going to reinstall osx and see what happens then

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
On my MBPro I had a slow startup caused by the start up disk not being selected correctly.

Go to System Prefs > Startup Disk.

Make sure you have the correct HD highlighted.

benjaminfoden

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2013
This is not right

I got my new iMac 27' with fusion drive.
Everything looks great expect booting time.
The booting time is about 40 sec.
Is it normal or not ?

That does not sound right at all, to put things into perspective (I'm waiting for my iMac) my Macbook Air boots in around 8 seconds including unlocking the disk - I never even see the wheel. My Windows 8 PC off SSD boots in around 15 seconds so 40 seconds seems unbelievable to me.

Like everyone has said, remove any programs you have installed which may have background processes running which could cause this. Otherwise, make yourself a Genius Appointment and take it up with Apple.

drkmnx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
On my MBPro I had a slow startup caused by the start up disk not being selected correctly.

yeah i did like this and now
booting time 14 sec

----------

That does not sound right at all, to put things into perspective (I'm waiting for my iMac) my Macbook Air boots in around 8 seconds including unlocking the disk - I never even see the wheel. My Windows 8 PC off SSD boots in around 15 seconds so 40 seconds seems unbelievable to me.

Like everyone has said, remove any programs you have installed which may have background processes running which could cause this. Otherwise, make yourself a Genius Appointment and take it up with Apple.

this is first booting time i did not install any programs

s.farrelly

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Should OSX actually not pick this up automatically? I am going to try it out when I get home tonight, but I thought OSX should be smart enough to automatically place the OS in fusion drive

booting time 14 sec

----------

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Should OSX actually not pick this up automatically? I am going to try it out when I get home tonight, but I thought OSX should be smart enough to automatically place the OS in fusion drive

That's not the issue. Yes the OS will be on the SSD portion of the Fusion drive. The problem, is if an incorrect drive (or no drive) is selected as the Start up disk in the Start up disk preferences, then the EFI has to check all of the drives attached to your computer and determine which one has a valid OS and then boot from there. If it has a drive ear marked as the boot, then it just goes straight to that and boots. You can tell when this is a problem, because it just sits at the gray screen at bootup for about 30 seconds....

benjaminfoden

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2013
booting time 14 sec

----------

You have paid a lot of money for this machine, thus I suggest you complain to Apple (I know I would). Perosnally, I would be particularly concerned as the problem could deteriorate the health of the whole machine in the long run and it shouldn't be there.

s.farrelly

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
That's not the issue. Yes the OS will be on the SSD portion of the Fusion drive. The problem, is if an incorrect drive (or no drive) is selected as the Start up disk in the Start up disk preferences, then the EFI has to check all of the drives attached to your computer and determine which one has a valid OS and then boot from there. If it has a drive ear marked as the boot, then it just goes straight to that and boots. You can tell when this is a problem, because it just sits at the gray screen at bootup for about 30 seconds....

Ok, that is clear. But does benjaminfoden have a point? Might there be something wrong (in the long run) and that the solution provided is just a (quick) fix?

jtrainor56

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
Ephrata, Pennsylvania
New i7 with 3TB fusion abt 15 seconds.... which for me it could take 60 seconds, it's still faster then the Lenovo stinkpad I have at work. From startup loading all my apps takes about 12 minutes!

s.farrelly

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013

Sad to say this does not work for me. Should I see more than Macintosh HD OS X, 10.8.2? Going to re-install OSX and see what happens then

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
booting time 14 sec

Glad to hear it worked. Rarely my setting gets forgotten (but I do have 3 possible OS's/drives to boot from...)

Sad to say this does not work for me. Should I see more than Macintosh HD OS X, 10.8.2? Going to re-install OSX and see what happens then

Sorry to hear it didn't work. Either reinstall, or make a clone of your system to a partition on the same drive (or a FW external), select that and test.

...Actually, I'm not sure how the Fusion drive behaves when you partition it...Is it even possible to do so? How does it decide which partition is on which drive (SSD vs HD)?

I'd be interested to know...not that I have a fusion drive...yet.

s.farrelly

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Glad to hear it worked. Rarely my setting gets forgotten (but I do have 3 possible OS's/drives to boot from...)

Sorry to hear it didn't work. Either reinstall, or make a clone of your system to a partition on the same drive (or a FW external), select that and test.

...Actually, I'm not sure how the Fusion drive behaves when you partition it...Is it even possible to do so? How does it decide which partition is on which drive (SSD vs HD)?

I'd be interested to know...not that I have a fusion drive...yet.

Well it is working now far better. Most of the times under the 20 sec :). What I did was a hard reset. CMD +P + R just before the Apple logo shows up when the computer starts up. Make sure you use a cabled keyboard, because the bluetooth is not fast enough.

I am pretty happy now :)

DSchorow

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2013
I just setup my new 27" iMac with a Fusion drive. My Boot times are horrible. It takes 2 1/2 minutes from the time I push the power button to when the login prompt appears. I measure these with my watch (format "minute:second").

Time Delta Event
0:00 0:00 Pushed start button
0:04 0:04 Chimes ring and grey screen appears
1:19 1:15 Flashing globe appears
2:21 1:02 Apple icon appears
2:30 0:09 Login prompt appears

I don't think this is from any software I have loaded. When I first booted it up after taking it out the box, it took such a long time to start the startup assistant that I thought it was hung. It eventually started with the flashing globe, something I've never seen before (is this tied to location services?).

I did have the memory upgraded to 24 GB by the store where I bought it. So, they must have turned it on to test that, but somehow restored it to the factory state.

Any ideas?

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I just setup my new 27" iMac with a Fusion drive. My Boot times are horrible. It takes 2 1/2 minutes from the time I push the power button to when the login prompt appears. I measure these with my watch (format "minute:second").

Time Delta Event
0:00 0:00 Pushed start button
0:04 0:04 Chimes ring and grey screen appears
1:19 1:15 Flashing globe appears
2:21 1:02 Apple icon appears
2:30 0:09 Login prompt appears

I don't think this is from any software I have loaded. When I first booted it up after taking it out the box, it took such a long time to start the startup assistant that I thought it was hung. It eventually started with the flashing globe, something I've never seen before (is this tied to location services?).

I did have the memory upgraded to 24 GB by the store where I bought it. So, they must have turned it on to test that, but somehow restored it to the factory state.

Any ideas?

something is definitely not right. it should not take more than 20 seconds . I believe 16 is the norm.

DSchorow

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2013
Solved it, thanks to the ideas on this forum.

To test the ram, the store must have set the startup disk to an external disk. When I went into the "Startup Disk" preference screen, nothing was selected. I selected "Macintosh HD" and tried it again. This time it took around 16 seconds from the time I pushed the button to the time it prompted for my login. There was no flashing globe intermediate step.

Thanks forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.