Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:29 PM   #1
Swampyy
macrumors newbie

Are apps written in Adobe Air Safe?

Hi

I'm interested in buying a little app called YNAB to use for home expenditure tracking for tax etc.

I quite liked the simple interface of YNAB compared to the many other financial apps out there.

The issue is that it is not on the App store and when I asked why, the developer said Apple does not allow apps created using Adobe Air on their App store.

So the question is, does Adobe Air create a security risk or can it effect my Mac performance in a negative way, or is this just a policy from Apple that has more to do with competing software technologies?
Swampyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
Apple doesn't want programs on the MAS that require another application to install or use, more or less. Otherwise, Adobe AIR isn't terrible. Before Twitter bought TweetDeck it used AIR.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:09 AM   #3
Swampyy
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the post.

So Apps created in Adobe Air are not a security risk or anything like that, and will not play any havoc with the operating system?

(Please excuse these ignorant questions as I am new to Mac).

Regards

Swampyy
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
There's always the potential for both, but it's vanishingly small. You shouldn't have any issues installing and using programs that require Adobe AIR.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:29 PM   #5
larrylaffer
macrumors 6502

There have been security exploits found in AIR before, but from what I recall they all affected Windows only.

AIR could probably be considered safe if only for the reason that it's not particularly popular...
larrylaffer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:36 PM   #6
pezdaddy
macrumors member

Fwiw, I use YNAB daily and there are no problems with it that affect my iMac. Performance is fine, doesn't slow the machine down, has never crashed, etc. The adobe air install shouldn't give you any problems.
pezdaddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Swampyy
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replys, very much appreciated.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store