Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following today's report from Jefferies analyst Peter Misek claiming that Apple will be holding a television-related product event in March, perhaps to introduce developer tools for the Apple TV and a future television set lineup, The Loop's Jim Dalyrmple has weighed in with one of his typical one-word answers to refute the claim: "Nope."

apple_tv_black.jpg
Dalrymple has impeccable accuracy with such comments, so it appears certain that there is no such event planned by Apple.

Article Link: No Apple Television-Related Event Scheduled for Next Month

Steve J0bs

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
I wish there was a quick way to reference how accurate these people actually are based on past predictions.

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Not surprising. I want an iWatch event next month! (In my dreams....)

Thataboy

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2004
New York, NY
I fail to understand why halfway-reputable rumor or news site would pay ANY attention to what ANALYSTS say. They have no insight. They are guessing, and they have never been right about anything. They are not right about their own names. They have no information.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I fail to understand why halfway-reputable rumor or news site would pay ANY attention to what ANALYSTS say. They have no insight. They are guessing, and they have never been right about anything. They are not right about their own names. They have no information.

That's of course an overstatement. Some of them do get info...Ming-Chi Kuo at KGI for example has excellent information. Not 100% perfect, but pretty darn good.

Misek doesn't have a great track record, and we're of course adding this one to our tracking board. :)

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Everyone else is so concerned with plastering things like "people familiar with the matter", "our sources", "insiders tell us" to attempt to lend credibility to their claims. People are writing essays today around the web on the topic. Jim comes out with a "Nope." - gotta love it.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I fail to understand why halfway-reputable rumor or news site would pay ANY attention to what ANALYSTS say.

Because they generate page (and therefore ad ) views.

Also because even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Most of the stuff that analysts give away for free though is very poor. Frankly, they too often have ulterior motivations that put money in their pockets.

But yes... you'd think that more of them would be more accurate.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
What a pompous jerk!

"Nope."

Seriously?

Someone has to check in their unjustified ego at the door.

Radio

Actually, I think it is fairly justified and not pompous at all. He seems to be one of the few that gets information directly from the source (Apple). In a world full of people making things up for page views, it is refreshing to see someone that only reports facts from a true source.

If you ever visit Jim's site, you'll notice that he doesn't dabble in rumors. Just straight reality.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I called it this morning after reading Misek's various predictions. Citing "channel checks" for knowledge of a March event to announce an SDK simply made no sense unless he had some alternate meeting for the term "channel checks".

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
What a pompous jerk!

"Nope."

Seriously?

Someone has to check in their unjustified ego at the door.

Radio

How does that make him a pompous jerk? He simply said it wouldn't be happening. The guy knows a lot of information, so keeping his statements short and sweet are how he keeps quiet.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
"Dalrymple has impeccable accuracy with such comments, so it appears certain that there is no such event planned by Apple."

So it must be true!!!!???

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Stop posting analyst predictions on MR. You're only encouraging such foolish behavior.

The only sources I trust these days speak Mandarin as their first language. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.