Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shuahsum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Hi, I have a Iphone 3GS on IOS 4.1 (8B117). I bought it slightly used from someone. The phone already has Cydia (1.1.6), Installous and WinterBoard installed. But I want to update my Iphone to IOS 6 because on 4.1 I can't get many apps because the ios is too old. The person I bought it from claims that it is unlocked. She had Verizon and it worked and I have fido and it works. I have not yet rebooted my phone. So the main question is: Is it safe for me to update my Iphone 3GS on ios 4.1 to ios 6? Thank you so much! :) :apple:

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Hi, I have a Iphone 3GS on IOS 4.1 (8B117). I bought it slightly used from someone. The phone already has Cydia (1.1.6), Installous and WinterBoard installed. But I want to update my Iphone to IOS 6 because on 4.1 I can't get many apps because the ios is too old. The person I bought it from claims that it is unlocked. She had Verizon and it worked and I have fido and it works. I have not yet rebooted my phone. So the main question is: Is it safe for me to update my Iphone 3GS on ios 4.1 to ios 6? Thank you so much! :) :apple:

Don't do it. iOS 6 will be much slower than 4.1 on your 3Gs.

Shuahsum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
I'd stay with 4.1 honestly. See if you can find on cydia older versions of the apps that you want.

How do you do that? I know how cydia works and all but how do I find the apps I need? Even if you can suggest how to update and jailbreak to 4.3 that would be great. Thanks

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
If you're able to update to 5.1.1, it would make your phone much more functional as well as being able to download most apps. iMessage, safari reader, notification center, it's hard to have an iphone without these imo.

Shuahsum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
If you're able to update to 5.1.1, it would make your phone much more functional as well as being able to download most apps. iMessage, safari reader, notification center, it's hard to have an iphone without these imo.

Yes 100% agreed. I heard that a jailbreak and unlock for IOS 6.1 came out. How can I update and jailbreak to 6.1 on my Iphone 3GS (by the way I have a new bootrom) and on cydia at the top it says in green I can update to 6.0.1 and 6.1. Thank you!

ItsDaKronic

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2007
London
Yes 100% agreed. I heard that a jailbreak and unlock for IOS 6.1 came out. How can I update and jailbreak to 6.1 on my Iphone 3GS (by the way I have a new bootrom) and on cydia at the top it says in green I can update to 6.0.1 and 6.1. Thank you!

I also wouldn't recommend updating the 3GS to iOS 6. Moving between pages will dramatically lag among other features.

My mom's iPhone 3G is on iOS 4 and its super slow. She updated the phone by accident (+its jailbroken) and its super sluggish.

Do yourself a favor and stick with iOS 4 and only download apps for iOS 4 and 3GS. Upgrading is going to kill your iOS experience.

Trust the community :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Based on quite a few posts from those with 3GS who have upgraded to iOS 6, it seems like the phone works just fine. Maybe not completely as fast as on iOS 4 perhaps or even 3, but then again pretty well and provides all the iOS 5 and 6 features too.

sallu

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
New Delhi
don't update.. i did a blunder mistake to update my 3Gs from 4.1 to 6.1 and now i am having lots of problems like 3g network, call drops and there no untethered jailbreak for ios 6.1 ... if u want to update go for 5.11
best ios ever by apple

Shuahsum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
don't update.. i did a blunder mistake to update my 3Gs from 4.1 to 6.1 and now i am having lots of problems like 3g network, call drops and there no untethered jailbreak for ios 6.1 ... if u want to update go for 5.11
best ios ever by apple

http://www.evasi0n.com thats the untethered jailbreak for 6.1, I want to update and jailbreak to 5.1.1 but how can I do that? Thanks

sallu

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
New Delhi
http://www.evasi0n.com thats the untethered jailbreak for 6.1, I want to update and jailbreak to 5.1.1 but how can I do that? Thanks

yeah ryt last night i jailbroke my ios 6.1 via evasi0n.. you just have to download 5.11 firmware than just the same way open itune by pressing shift click on update and locate ios 5.11 (dont forget to backup all your data on itune) just let you iphone to update.. after completed update, download and open redsn0w and just click on jailbreak put ua phone on dfu mode and let redsn0w to jailbreak. after you need to mark install cydia when u get the option while jailbreaking ua iphone.. let ua iphone to reboot... when u complete jailbroke back to redsnow and go to extra an click on just boot and this time again u need to put ua phone in dfu mode.. thats it after rebooting u iphone u will find cydia on ua iphone menu that means jailbreak is successful
good luck and yeah lemme know
;)

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
If you at going to 5 just go all the way to 6, in a 3GS 6 runs better than 5 IMO

Shuahsum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Updating

If I do update to 5.1.1 or 6.1, i'm pretty sure my 3gs will get locked because it's unlocked from ultrasn0w at the moment, not factory unlocked. So if it does get locked what can I do then? Thanks

Shuahsum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
then in that case your going to want to restore using redsn0w, not itunes. so you can preserve your baseband and unlock again

And how do I do that? I know how redsn0w works in general and all but just like some information on how to do that, thanks a lot :)

Shuahsum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Done!

Finallly, I figured out how to do it. Everything works great. I updated and jailbroke to IOS 6.1 using sn0wbreeze and it also preserved the baseband and jailbroke it all in one. Sn0wbreeze!! Thank you all

Chandusa

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2013
Hi,
Can u help me with the steps In detail please. I'm completely new to this world of iOS and upgrade but I'm suffering with same trouble as yours. 3GS with iOS 4.1 jailbreak with cydia. Bougth it from someone who jailbreaked it long back. It would be great if I upgrade to 5.1 only. No need for 6 version also. Please help me with this.

Iphonegal

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
Upgrading cydia on Iphone 3gs

Hi all,
I am a bit confused with this post?

I too have an Iphone3gs that was running 4.3.3 and Cydia decided to upgrade my phone while connecting to Itunes and I lost my Virgin phone. Took it in to a cell place and then installed 4.1 and now, I can't sync with itunes. No phone, music, contacts, apps etc.

I went to 5 places that unlock phones and every person told me if I upgrade, I will lose my phone permanently. There is no upgrade with 4.1 without losing my phone/SIM. I am pricing iphone 4/4s and they want $5-700 for used phones!!!

Are they all lying to me? Can I upgrade my phone or am I stuck?
Thanks

glsillygili

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
New York

its not a big deal apple is signing 4.1 and always will so upgrade and downgrade if you dont like it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.