Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
pffft. I was very excited about this. oh well, Apple probably got their hands full with forstall departure.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
How does that make him a pompous jerk? He simply said it wouldn't be happening. The guy knows a lot of information, so keeping his statements short and sweet are how he keeps quiet.

I think it was a joke, see how he is being a pompous jerk by ending his post with his name?

At least that's how I saw it, gave him the benefit of the doubt.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
1) How do you pronounce his last name?

2) It's obvious he's very well connected and is there for controlled leaks. But how did he get SO well connected to Apple that they run rumors and leaks through him?

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Apple's got 100 people working on a magic watch nobody wants and can't be bothered to update an AppleTV everybody wants.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Was hoping they would do something in March, otherwise there will be no announcements until WWDC? Maybe we'll get iOS 7 preview earlier, like they did in the past.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Actually, I think it is fairly justified and not pompous at all. He seems to be one of the few that gets information directly from the source (Apple). In a world full of people making things up for page views, it is refreshing to see someone that only reports facts from a true source.

If you ever visit Jim's site, you'll notice that he doesn't dabble in rumors. Just straight reality.

i'd say more than one word could be more informative.

----------

Actually, I think it is fairly justified and not pompous at all. He seems to be one of the few that gets information directly from the source (Apple). In a world full of people making things up for page views, it is refreshing to see someone that only reports facts from a true source.

If you ever visit Jim's site, you'll notice that he doesn't dabble in rumors. Just straight reality.

I think it was a joke, see how he is being a pompous jerk by ending his post with his name?

At least that's how I saw it, gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks for catching that

Radio

accidental

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2011
1) How do you pronounce his last name?

2) It's obvious he's very well connected and is there for controlled leaks. But how did he get SO well connected to Apple that they run rumors and leaks through him?

1) Dal-rim-pill

2) Apple doesn't run rumors and leaks through him. Notice how "nope" isn't a rumor or a leak? Jim is well connected with people at Apple who trust him with information BECAUSE he doesn't start rumors or leak info. What he does do is squash stupid and incorrect rumors like this. And very occasionally he confirms them with a "yep".

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
Usually they have an iOS event around this time but no new products. June is when they announce new stuff.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Umm...bipolar MacRumors? "YES - AppleTV event in March" *a few hours later* "Just kidding! Please don't scroll down the front page and read what we just wrote not that long ago."

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Umm...bipolar MacRumors?

Macrumors is just quoting other folks.

"YES - AppleTV event in March" *a few hours later* "Just kidding! Please don't scroll down the front page and read what we just wrote not that long ago."

LOL. the thread down the page still has folks thrashing each other with back and forth commentary generating ad page views.

Frankly, "front page" Macrumors stories tend to have something in common. High accuracy isn't it.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
1) Dal-rim-pill

2) Apple doesn't run rumors and leaks through him. Notice how "nope" isn't a rumor or a leak? Jim is well connected with people at Apple who trust him with information BECAUSE he doesn't start rumors or leak info. What he does do is squash stupid and incorrect rumors like this. And very occasionally he confirms them with a "yep".

I wouldn't be surprised if apple sees a story in the news they don't like, one they don't want to brew for long, so they call him up and say "hey jim, kill this one for us with a nope"

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
. But how did he get SO well connected to Apple that they run rumors and leaks through him?

Because he does exactly what they tell him to do no more , no less.

So if they want to pop the balloon on a rumor this just pops the balloon. He doesn't add replacement material or alternative rumor. Insert pin. pop. done. He also is likely told things and strictly follows NDAs. (so saying nothing is just as important, if not more so, than saying something. )

Even without inside Apple sources most folks would have a good track record on accuracy if just said the analysts were wrong on a consistent basis.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
i'd say more than one word could be more informative.

That's the point. If Apple wanted to be informative, they could just issue a press release.

Here's what I imagine happened. Someone at Apple hears about BS rumors that are getting people excited about a non-existent event. Apple wants to shut it down but doesn't want to set a precedent by breaking their wall of silence. So, someone calls Jim and says "kill this - now." Jim posts "nope." Threat neutralized.

Apple doesn't want us to know any more now, they just don't want us to be pissed off because something they were never planning on doing didn't happen. I actually really appreciate Jim's terseness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.