Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedblanks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
I'm being asked to share an iPad with another user at work. This makes me uncomfortable for a number of reasons.
-The iPad is tied to the other users e-mail, itunes account etc
-I'm worried if it malfunctions/breaks/gets damaged, who will be to blame
-I'm concerned about hygiene issues (where/when/how it is used by both parties).

I want to be a team player, but for some reason this makes me extremely uncomfortable.

Am I being unreasonable? Any suggestions on how to approach this?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm being asked to share an iPad with another user at work. This makes me uncomfortable for a number of reasons.
-I'm concerned about hygiene issues (where/when/how it is used by both parties).

I want to be a team player, but for some reason this makes me extremely uncomfortable.

I think you are being very reasonable. iPads were not designed to be multiuser devices and you'll have to constantly delete and re add various accounts to keep information separate not to mention issues with time management of the device and so on

I would simply take aside the person that is doing the asking, point out the flaws and simply tell them that you feel it just wouldn't be work effective and if you can't have your own ipad for your own use then you'd rather stick with other tools such as a computer.

At my own job we do some sharing of iPads but they are tied to departmental accounts not personal ones and no personal use is allowed. They are given out at the top of the day and collected at the end of the day and if anything happens such as a lost or damage, the replacement comes out of the appropriate departments budget.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

The hygiene part comes across as a little neurotic, but it is a device that is intended to be dedicated to a single user, so the shared-use idea is hard to implement effectively. So that's how I'd express my concerns. The questions to ask are how does it make you more productive and if there's a good answer then it may make more sense to get your own. If it's just a solution in search of a problem then why bother?

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012

You're supposed to say no. That's the first thing they teach you in training. I'd put it in child mode. :D

jedblanks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
I think you are being very reasonable. ...
I would simply take aside the person that is doing the asking, point out the flaws ....
I did try that and the response was that we have use the resources we are given effectively.

The hygiene part comes across as a little neurotic...The questions to ask are how does it make you more productive and if there's a good answer then it may make more sense to get your own.

Neurotic until you envision the ipad on someone's lap in the bathroom, or in use by someone with the Flu...

I'm in IT/software development, we are deploying thousands of iPads to end users. Our goal is to troubleshoot/test our web applications on the iPad to verify functionality. We are in active development, so maybe 10% of our time is spent on this type of thing and the rest on maintenance and development of existing web applications (microsoft-based shop up until now). Not sure if that helps on the "solution in search of a problem" question.

I don't want to come across as a non-team player, or neurotic.

I would just like a solid arguement to say "No and for these reasons (a) (b)....."

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
d on someone's lap in the bathroom, or in use by someone with the Flu...

I'm in IT/software development, we are deploying thousands of iPads to end users. Our goal is to troubleshoot/test our web applications on the iPad to verify functionality. We are in active development, so maybe 10% of our time is spent on this type of thing and the rest on maintenance and development of existing web applications (microsoft-based shop up until now). Not sure if that helps on the "solution in search of a problem" question.

If you are testing applications then why is someone's email, itunes etc on the ipad. and why is it leaving the office to go places like the bathroom. How are these types of things 'effective' or 'efficient' uses of the tech. Not to mention company liability if something happens to the device and there's personal information on it. Or worse, if it's someone's work email and they lose the iPad when they walk over to Starbucks for a coffee and not potentially confidential information is in the hands of who knows whom.

jedblanks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
If you are testing applications then why is someone's email, itunes etc on the ipad. and why is it leaving the office to go places like the bathroom.

I do not know the answer to that question.

It leaves the office with the person who "holds" it. And that person has their stuff setup on it. In this scenario, its go-use-it-when-you-need-to-test-something.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I do not know the answer to that question.

It leaves the office with the person who "holds" it. And that person has their stuff setup on it. In this scenario, its go-use-it-when-you-need-to-test-something.

Someone needs to know the answers to such questions. If not for these particular tests then for the overall usage of the devices when the roll out goes large. As the IT department such things will fall into the departments hands if something goes sideways when there are 1000 units out there. If you aren't prepared to deal with it at this testing stage then you won't be when it's 'live'

so try bring that up to your boss.

jedblanks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Who owns the iPad? The company?

Yes, but let's call it "the institution" or "the organization" rather than "the company"

----------

Someone needs to know the answers to such questions. If not for these particular tests then for the overall usage of the devices when the roll out goes large. As the IT department such things will fall into the departments hands if something goes sideways when there are 1000 units out there. If you aren't prepared to deal with it at this testing stage then you won't be when it's 'live'

so try bring that up to your boss.

My understanding:
The device is given to the user to use as they please. They use their own itunes account and credit card info. If/when it is turned in, the device is wiped.

Most of this is handled by the techs and networking dept. We are the software development/support dept.

We have custom web apps and third party web apps. The plan is for them to work on the iPad, but it is not required at rollout for them to work. The overall use of the iPad expands beyond just our web apps.

The idea is to get the device out there for use with what works, then expand upon what works and add new capabilities as the rollout continues.

zerind

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
Well there you have it. Unless you can convince them otherwise, you pretty much have to adhere to whatever requests management makes. Better make your case a strong one, but don't be surprised if they don't care.

jedblanks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Everyone assumes this is just a ploy to get an iPad, when in fact I could care less. I just have an objection to using someone else's account. Too much can go wrong.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
My understanding:
The device is given to the user to use as they please. They use their own itunes account and credit card info. If/when it is turned in, the device is wiped.

So then what's your problem. The iPads are turned in and all private information is wiped. Is it that they are telling you to take an iPad directly from another user, or even give it directly to another user, bypassing this wipe. Thus basically asking for a risk of exposing personal information to someone else. Then object to that protocol/violation of protocol.

----------

Everyone assumes this is just a ploy to get an iPad,

No one said that. And if you want folks to actually converse, be respectful and don't put words in their mouths

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm not clear on what the OP wants -- do you want to be assigned your own iPad? Or do you not want an iPad at all and do the work another way? If an iPad is absolutely needed to get the work done, then are you willing to buy your own iPad so you don't have to share? Knowing what solution you are aiming for would help focus how to approach your institution to sell them that solution.

jedblanks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
So then what's your problem. The iPads are turned in and all private information is wiped. Is it that they are telling you to take an iPad directly from another user, or even give it directly to another user, bypassing this wipe. Thus basically asking for a risk of exposing personal information to someone else. Then object to that protocol/violation of protocol.
Correct, they are asking to "share without wipe" and the problem is: they don't understand why that is a problem. And the part in bold above is likely my best reasoning.

----------

No one said that. And if you want folks to actually converse, be respectful and don't put words in their mouths

Easy now...I meant everyone at the workplace. And it was stated by those people at work. "You just want to play with it at home"

----------

I'm not clear on what the OP wants -- do you want to be assigned your own iPad? Or do you not want an iPad at all and do the work another way? If an iPad is absolutely needed to get the work done, then are you willing to buy your own iPad so you don't have to share? Knowing what solution you are aiming for would help focus how to approach your institution to sell them that solution.

I want either (no preference):
A) not be held accountable for testing on a device to which I have limited access
B) Be assigned my own

I most certainly don't want to purchase my own as I have no need for it outside of my duties at work.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Correct, they are asking to "share without wipe" and the problem is, they don't understand why its a problem.

Did you try pointing out that doing this means that the person who "inherits" the unwiped iPad has access to purchase things on the original "owner" credit card?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Correct, they are asking to "share without wipe" and the problem is: they don't understand why that is a problem. And the part in bold above is likely my best reasoning.

If your immediate boss can't see the reason why this is a problem then take it over his/her head. I'm sure there is someone in this institution that would see the legal ramifications of such a policy. There might even be a policy in place that negates this game plan.

jedblanks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Did you try pointing out that doing this means that the person who "inherits" the unwiped iPad has access to purchase things on the original "owner" credit card?

"inherits" == borrows for an hour or so.

Their sentiment, though not directly said, is "You are a team, act like one"
I recall mentioning access to e-mail and itunes account. Not sure they fully understood the ramifications as you state them -- access to purchase items with "owner" credit card. For all intents and purposes all network traffic would be monitored as if you were the "owner" I fear problems arising from also.

----------

There might even be a policy in place that negates this game plan.

I looked, both in HR and Apple EULA, haven't seen anything useful yet.

----------

If your immediate boss can't see the reason why this is a problem then take it over his/her head.

Unfortunately, the higher I get, the less likely it will be understood.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

I recall mentioning access to e-mail and itunes account. Not sure they fully understood the ramifications as you state them -- access to purchase items with "owner" credit card.

So not "inherits" but "borrows," then. Same difference. :rolleyes:

I'd try going back and stressing the credit card issue.

jedblanks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
At any rate...I appreciate everyone's advice. I probably have enough to at least say "no" at this point.

I wouldn't allow access to my e-mail and purchases on my CC, so I don't feel comfortable having such access to another's.

----------

So not "inherits" but "borrows," then. Same difference. :rolleyes:

Sorry...I just wanted to be clear that it was not passed on and never returned.
;) Since its the same difference, may I inherit some $$$$ from you? :D

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

I recall mentioning access to e-mail and itunes account. Not sure they fully understood the ramifications as you state them -- access to purchase items with "owner" credit card. For all intents and purposes all network traffic would be monitored as if you were the "owner" I fear problems arising from also.

----------

I looked, both in HR and Apple EULA, haven't seen anything useful yet.

----------

Unfortunately, the higher I get, the less likely it will be understood.

So it's not your device. 2 things you need to do. 1, purchase your own ipad if you want a personal device. 2, stop using and thinking about a work owned device as your own.

zerind

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
Slow claps for you sir. This is the hardest thing to convey to end users. Company owned equipment is NOT the same as personal equipment, yet they feel entitled to use it as such then get mad when you shut that down.

If it's that big a deal, OP needs to pull his Apple account off the device. Problem solved.

So it's not your device. 2 things you need to do. 1, purchase your own ipad if you want a personal device. 2, stop using and thinking about a work owned device as your own.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Sorry...I just wanted to be clear that it was not passed on and never returned.
;) Since its the same difference, may I inherit some $$$$ from you? :D

LOL. And it *was* clear from your description that we were talking about the iPad being passed back and forth, I just couldn't think of a good term to describe the situation, so I went with inherit, and put it in quotes. :p

In any case, good luck with resolving your situation. Seems to me that if the iPad is going to be shared, then NOBODY should have their personal info on it, and they should create a separate Apple ID for it that "belongs" to your organization, and associate it with an organization credit card. Or not associate any credit card at all.

To be fair, if I'm understanding the OP correctly, he or she isn't the one who wants to use the iPad as his/her personal device. It's that his/her coworker(s) have been using their assigned iPad(s) as personal devices, and now they are telling people the devices have to be shared even though the personal info (including credit card) is still on them.

Zav

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013

I wouldn't say this is unreasonable at all. One of the main joys of an iPad is making it your own, having all your email and various application accounts synced, organising your folders and applications accordingly and so on.

Sharing a product like the iPad, without a multi user option that Windows or a Mac computer offer would be tedious. Privacy would also be an issue, your emails could easily be accessed unless you constantly deleted and re-added your accounts before handed it over to your co-worker.

What about if your wife sent an email including a saucy pic and your co-worker managed to open it whilst sat on the toilet?

In all seriousness, if it's a work device and they want you to share - there isn't much you can do. Buy your own device or bite the bullet.... The flu ridden bullet.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.