Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:36 PM   #1
TorCoolguy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
PowerMac G5: Good deal?

Recently i've been searching on creigslist for a PowerMac G5 or iMac G5 to play around with and I found one for sale for 140 dollars. Detailed specs are:

Dual 1.8 GHz
1GB RAM
80 GB Hard Drive
Superdrive
Keyboard & Mouse (not specified if 3rd party or not)
10.5.8 Leopard
Office 2008
iLife
Creative Suite CS2
Apple Studio Display (Not specified ADC or not and buyer listed some of the "anti-reflective coating" whatever that is, is gone)

Is this a good deal? and, would it be able to play 360p or above youtube without sucking down the whole processor? One more thing, does this model require an external airport & bluetooth antenna?
TorCoolguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:03 PM   #2
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I wouldn't say so. I would look for one a Dual 2.3 or higher, or perhaps a dual 2.0.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:12 PM   #3
TorCoolguy
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
For any particular reason? Im kind of rusty on what is consitered a reasonable price for a G5 these days. Or are you saying that it won't be able to run what I want very decently? I did say it was a Dual 1.8 GHz G5 right?
TorCoolguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Goftrey
macrumors 68000
 
Goftrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wales, UK
Far too expensive. Unless it had an aluminium cinema display with it... Which it doesn't. If the seller said that there's an anti-reflective coating on it, then it must be the CRT monitor, as the LCD studio displays were matte.

But as MisterKeeks said, definitely look at at the DC 2.3ghz, as they are known to be the fastest air-cooled G5 around (although the quad did introduce a revised LCS so I'd maybe take a look at them too).
__________________
Mac Pro 4x2.66GHz, 6GB, 750GB, GTX660 | 13" MacBook Air 2x2.13GHz, 4GB, 256GB, 320M | 23" Cinema Display
PowerMac G4 Cube 1.2GHz, 1.5GB, 160GB. 6200 | OnePlus One 64GB | Canon EOS M 18-55mm, 22mm
Goftrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:11 PM   #5
TorCoolguy
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Whats a reasonable price for this machine. (Its a studio display by the way, he had a picture. It was the 17" easel LCD kind)
TorCoolguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:17 PM   #6
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorCoolguy View Post
Whats a reasonable price for this machine. (Its a studio display by the way, he had a picture. It was the 17" easel LCD kind)
I got my DP1.8 for $50. I'd say with the display, 75$-80$.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:39 PM   #7
noodle654
macrumors 68010
 
noodle654's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Never Ender
That price is a little high. I got back in December a DC 2.3GHz and a DP 1.8GHz for $150. I wouldn't pay anything over $100 for a DP.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.3GHz (Late 2013) | iPhone 6 128GB | MacBook Air i5 1.3GHz (2013) | Mac Mini C2D 2.26GHz (Late 2009)| iPad Air 2 64GB LTE
noodle654 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:37 AM   #8
Lancer
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Australia
This is depressing, I was hoping to sell my G5 later this year and get a few hounded dollars for it. Just got an iMac but some of the older PPC software won't work on Intel based systems with the current OS X, so I'm holding on to it for the foreseeable future until I find alternates.
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:30 AM   #9
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
This is depressing, I was hoping to sell my G5 later this year and get a few hounded dollars for it. Just got an iMac but some of the older PPC software won't work on Intel based systems with the current OS X, so I'm holding on to it for the foreseeable future until I find alternates.
remember these folks are talking US prices, and US prices only. That dual 1.8 with Studio display would likely bring 200-250 Euro here. ($269.88-$337.38 according to XE)
GermanyChris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:31 PM   #10
666sheep
macrumors 68040
 
666sheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Poland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorCoolguy View Post
10.5.8 Leopard
Office 2008
iLife
Creative Suite CS2
If you'll get installation discs of these (original ones, not "copies") it's worth it.
666sheep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:06 PM   #11
TorCoolguy
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666sheep View Post
If you'll get installation discs of these (original ones, not "copies") it's worth it.
Sadly, copies.

I've found a Dual 2.0GHz w/ a 3 port FW800 card and what looks like a SCSI card for $75, but with no hard drive, is that worth it?
TorCoolguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:11 PM   #12
Lancer
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
remember these folks are talking US prices, and US prices only. That dual 1.8 with Studio display would likely bring 200-250 Euro here. ($269.88-$337.38 according to XE)
I'm in Australia and have not Studio display, just a base model 2.0Ghz duel CPU from early 2005. The last model before the duel core they release in late 2005 just before the switch to Intel the next year.

Not that long ago I got about $150 for a GigEthernet G4, but that had a heap of upgrades including faster CPU, USB2 card, bigger HDD and loads more RAM than when I got it new in late 2000.

I guess price is subjective and depends on the customer and how much they need a particular model used Mac. My G4 was sold to a studio I think. Mind you my current new iMac would be load quieter and run a lot cooler, but useless if you need to run OS9.
__________________
Late 2012 iMac, 27", 3.4Ghz i7, 32Gb RAM, 2Gb 680Mx, 1Tb Fusion and iPhone 5s.
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:11 PM   #13
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
I'm in Australia and have not Studio display, just a base model 2.0Ghz duel CPU from early 2005. The last model before the duel core they release in late 2005 just before the switch to Intel the next year.

Not that long ago I got about $150 for a GigEthernet G4, but that had a heap of upgrades including faster CPU, USB2 card, bigger HDD and loads more RAM than when I got it new in late 2000.

I guess price is subjective and depends on the customer and how much they need a particular model used Mac. My G4 was sold to a studio I think. Mind you my current new iMac would be load quieter and run a lot cooler, but useless if you need to run OS9.
17" studio ebay complete 90-100 euro

23" studio I have sitting on my shelf 200-220 euro ebay compete.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:24 PM   #14
Lancer
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
17" studio ebay complete 90-100 euro

23" studio I have sitting on my shelf 200-220 euro ebay compete.
Not going to buy a Studio LCD since I have a new 27" iMac and a few months back I got a nice 24" Benq for the G5 at a local shop for less.
__________________
Late 2012 iMac, 27", 3.4Ghz i7, 32Gb RAM, 2Gb 680Mx, 1Tb Fusion and iPhone 5s.
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:36 PM   #15
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
Not going to buy a Studio LCD since I have a new 27" iMac and a few months back I got a nice 24" Benq for the G5 at a local shop for less.
I don't need one either, but thats not the point. The point is things have different values in different places. If I were to sell in Switzerland Mac's don't hold as much value but displays seem to hold more.. Australia is a big place like America, localities change prices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2013-02-13 at 11.33.17 PM.png
Views:	13
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	396742  
GermanyChris is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:54 PM   #16
Lancer
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
I don't need one either, but thats not the point. The point is things have different values in different places. If I were to sell in Switzerland Mac's don't hold as much value but displays seem to hold more.. Australia is a big place like America, localities change prices.
I agree, if you need X model Mac for a set job then you're likely to pay more than it's worth, and right now the only reason I'm holding onto the G5 is Adobe GoLive which I still use and a bit of AppleWorks for some old documents. I need to move to newer software (and convert my AW stuff to text/word but that takes time.

It's a shame no one has developed a emulating program to run the older software in Intel Mac, like they used to with OS 9 and continue to do with Windows.
__________________
Late 2012 iMac, 27", 3.4Ghz i7, 32Gb RAM, 2Gb 680Mx, 1Tb Fusion and iPhone 5s.
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:09 PM   #17
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
I agree, if you need X model Mac for a set job then you're likely to pay more than it's worth, and right now the only reason I'm holding onto the G5 is Adobe GoLive which I still use and a bit of AppleWorks for some old documents. I need to move to newer software (and convert my AW stuff to text/word but that takes time.

It's a shame no one has developed a emulating program to run the older software in Intel Mac, like they used to with OS 9 and continue to do with Windows.
This is the subjective part..
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:57 PM   #18
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020
 
Jethryn Freyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Why do you want it, what for, and what is your budget?

What graphics card does it comes with?

Also, included software does not actually add any value. Their system is probably full of bloated crap anyway.

Clean OS install. Easy to get a Leopard DVD if you know where to look.

My similar G5 with Radeon 9600 XT cost me $150 18 months ago.
__________________
michaelanthonyralph.com/wordpress - Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro - 2.4GHz quad - 16GB RAM - Radeon 6770M 1024MB - 1TB - 10.9.4
Jethryn Freyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:42 AM   #19
TorCoolguy
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethryn Freyman View Post
Why do you want it, what for, and what is your budget?

What graphics card does it comes with?

Also, included software does not actually add any value. Their system is probably full of bloated crap anyway.

Clean OS install. Easy to get a Leopard DVD if you know where to look.

My similar G5 with Radeon 9600 XT cost me $150 18 months ago.
No set budget, would like to keep under $150 or so.
I want to use it as a secondary computer to my custom built PC (running Gentoo) using a KVM switch. I want to play classic games in an emulator, games for 10.2-10.5 and to use the loads of semi-old software I have for semi-old computers like it. The graphics card is probobly stock, not 100% sure.
TorCoolguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Purchasing MacBook Pro for Music Production- Is This MBP Good Enough/Good Deal? Goalyguy33 MacBook Pro 14 Oct 20, 2014 04:57 PM
Is this a good deal on a PowerMac G4? davidg4781 PowerPC Macs 32 Feb 24, 2013 08:52 PM
PowerMac G4 MDD 867Mhz DP- $25 - good deal? davidg4781 PowerPC Macs 3 Oct 6, 2012 04:34 AM
Thinking of getting a PowerMac G5, is this a good deal? sucramdi PowerPC Macs 7 Sep 4, 2012 09:33 PM
Possibly a good deal on a PowerMac, Advice? DrPiDude Buying Tips and Advice 4 Jun 15, 2012 06:34 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC