Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2000
I called it this morning after reading Misek's various predictions. Citing "channel checks" for knowledge of a March event to announce an SDK simply made no sense unless he had some alternate meeting for the term "channel checks".

I called it this morning after seeing Misik's name attached to the story. Guy's nothing but a speculative fiction writer these days. I wouldn't trust him to tell me the weather while he's standing outside.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Stop posting analyst predictions on MR. You're only encouraging such foolish behavior.

So someone from not from Apple says there will be an Apple TV event.
And someone else not from Apple says there will not be an Apple TV event.

I think I'll wait for someone from Apple to clarify this thanks.

obiwan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
I was kinda looking forward to Developer Tools for AppleTV to be released. It would have been about time too. It definitely needs some more services adding (in the UK at least) like BBC iPlayer, 4OD, ITVPlayer, Demand 5 etc..

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
That's the point. If Apple wanted to be informative, they could just issue a press release.

Here's what I imagine happened. Someone at Apple hears about BS rumors that are getting people excited about a non-existent event. Apple wants to shut it down but doesn't want to set a precedent by breaking their wall of silence. So, someone calls Jim and says "kill this - now." Jim posts "nope." Threat neutralized.

Apple doesn't want us to know any more now, they just don't want us to be pissed off because something they were never planning on doing didn't happen. I actually really appreciate Jim's terseness.

Okay. :D

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
If only Gruber would tell us what he thinks, then all of Apple's unofficial mouth pieces will have "weighed in".

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's a real shame that sites like MR feel the need to publish Wall Street analyst speculations or research notes as rumors. The Bloomberg report about 100 people working on a watch is a rumor. A Wall Street analyst making predictions based on little to no inside information is not.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
It's a real shame that sites like MR feel the need to publish Wall Street analyst speculations or research notes as rumors. The Bloomberg report about 100 people working on a watch is a rumor. A Wall Street analyst making predictions based on little to no inside information is not.

Yes, but why do they do it? Because there are people out there that want it. If we ignored these stories, they would stop, but we don't, so they won't. And if they did stop, all those eyeballs (and revenue) would go to the sites that did report it. Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

----------

So some analyst with a terrible track record and obvious factual errors says there will be an Apple TV event.
And another person who clearly has insider information and a stellar track record when rebutting rumors says there will not be an Apple TV event.

I think I'll wait for someone from Apple to clarify this thanks, although it will never ever happen.

There, I fixed it for you.:p

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
That's of course an overstatement. Some of them do get info...Ming-Chi Kuo at KGI for example has excellent information. Not 100% perfect, but pretty darn good.

Misek doesn't have a great track record, and we're of course adding this one to our tracking board. :)

Here, in case you missed any:

http://www.cultofmac.com/215736/a-history-of-horrible-apple-predictions-from-peter-misek/

And the article image is just too good:

derp.jpg

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003

Pretty crazy, a rumor site posting rumors.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
I was kinda looking forward to Developer Tools for AppleTV to be released. It would have been about time too. It definitely needs some more services adding (in the UK at least) like BBC iPlayer, 4OD, ITVPlayer, Demand 5 etc..

Good thing for the moment there are SDK's for both Mac & iOS devices which can send whatever's on their screen over to the AppleTV. Though, yes, it would be nice to get a full-fledged SDK.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Good thing for the moment there are SDK's for both Mac & iOS devices which can send whatever's on their screen over to the AppleTV. Though, yes, it would be nice to get a full-fledged SDK.

Unfortunately, I think Apple for now is more interested in making lucrative content deals from the big players (Hulu, Netflix, MLB, etc) instead of supporting an App Store on the Apple TV.

And I highly doubt the "developer tools for Apple TV" would be anything more than an update to Xcode. It's not like Apple TV uses some specialized OS.

As rumors go, I was excited about this one. :(

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Apple won't clarify anything. Apple will either send out invitations, or they won't send out invitations.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Apple NEEDS to push the Apple TV and give it 3rd party apps and BlueTooth game controller support!

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Why would it need BlueTooth game controller support when it already can be controlled via your iOS devices - no BlueTooth needed.

You can't really use an iOS device as a good game controller except for NES games. Third-party controllers would just cost extra to have AirPlay. Also, I'd think that BlueTooth would give better response times. The PS3 and XBOX 360 controllers are BlueTooth.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Didn't think so. This sort of stuff belongs at WWDC.

I figured the same thing because the rumored event was to discuss developer opportunities for apple tv's/tv sets. DEVELOPER. That shares some similarity to WWDC because it is a DEVELOPER conference. That being said, the apple tv as it is now would be the perfect device for destroying traditional console gaming once and for all. I believe that if apple release an sdk and app store for apple tv, that allows the remote app to become a developer designed controller, it will become the #1 set top bot ever by a massive margin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.