Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Feb 9, 2013, 01:15 PM   #1
lulock
macrumors newbie

Broke some little connectors on the logic board: no sound

Trying to remove a bent battery screw, accidentally broke three little connectors on the logic board that apparently control the audio jack, the computer now detects a digital out cable connected and the little red light comes from the port. The only way to make the speakers to work is to link the metallic contacts on the logic board with a piece of metal. I was thinking of soldering the connectors and fixing the issue that way, but was wondering if anybody here had any similar experience trying to fix a problem in this matter and if they were successful, or if doing this will damage the board in any way. Here's a picture of the points I want to link with solder on the board:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 2.png
Views:	41
Size:	851.6 KB
ID:	395809

Last edited by maflynn; Feb 9, 2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: picture didn't show on post
lulock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Grmnracing
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulock View Post
Trying to remove a bent battery screw, accidentally broke three little connectors on the logic board that apparently control the audio jack, the computer now detects a digital out cable connected and the little red light comes from the port. The only way to make the speakers to work is to link the metallic contacts on the logic board with a piece of metal. I was thinking of soldering the connectors and fixing the issue that way, but was wondering if anybody here had any similar experience trying to fix a problem in this matter and if they were successful, or if doing this will damage the board in any way. Here's a picture of the points I want to link with solder on the board:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kotsqqhjmb...titled%202.png

The image doesn't show up.
Grmnracing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:41 PM   #3
johnnnw
macrumors 65816

I doubt you'll find someone who's had this problem as (I'm just saying) most people are extremely careful when working on their Macbooks. If you can fix it then go for it but good luck finding someone who had this exact problem on the exact pin.
johnnnw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:10 PM   #4
lulock
macrumors newbie

I thought so, but I really have nothing to lose asking, and to tell you the truth it is a little scary soldering on a logic board, so I wanted to know if someone had any tips...
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:37 PM   #5
Wafflausages
macrumors 6502

As long as you dont keep the iron at those points until you cook the board and you know that bridging those points will fix it then it should just be a quick fix.
Wafflausages is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:16 PM   #6
PatriotInvasion
macrumors 65816

Perfect reason to keep your MacBook closed and not mess with delicate parts that shouldn't be messed with.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:48 PM   #7
lulock
macrumors newbie

thank you for the replies. Wafflausages: I'm no expert solderer (or whatever one who solders is called), but I'm going to try or fry the board doing it...
PatriotInvasion: I wish I could say I've learned my lesson, but I know I'll keep messing with the stuff inside electronics that I should not mess with... It is in my nature I guess...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro