Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lulock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2013
Trying to remove a bent battery screw, accidentally broke three little connectors on the logic board that apparently control the audio jack, the computer now detects a digital out cable connected and the little red light comes from the port. The only way to make the speakers to work is to link the metallic contacts on the logic board with a piece of metal. I was thinking of soldering the connectors and fixing the issue that way, but was wondering if anybody here had any similar experience trying to fix a problem in this matter and if they were successful, or if doing this will damage the board in any way. Here's a picture of the points I want to link with solder on the board:
Untitled 2.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Grmnracing

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2011
Trying to remove a bent battery screw, accidentally broke three little connectors on the logic board that apparently control the audio jack, the computer now detects a digital out cable connected and the little red light comes from the port. The only way to make the speakers to work is to link the metallic contacts on the logic board with a piece of metal. I was thinking of soldering the connectors and fixing the issue that way, but was wondering if anybody here had any similar experience trying to fix a problem in this matter and if they were successful, or if doing this will damage the board in any way. Here's a picture of the points I want to link with solder on the board:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kotsqqhjmbrnjdl/Untitled 2.png

The image doesn't show up.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I doubt you'll find someone who's had this problem as (I'm just saying) most people are extremely careful when working on their Macbooks. If you can fix it then go for it but good luck finding someone who had this exact problem on the exact pin. :(

lulock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2013
I thought so, but I really have nothing to lose asking, and to tell you the truth it is a little scary soldering on a logic board, so I wanted to know if someone had any tips... ;)

Wafflausages

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
As long as you dont keep the iron at those points until you cook the board and you know that bridging those points will fix it then it should just be a quick fix.

lulock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2013
thank you for the replies. Wafflausages: I'm no expert solderer (or whatever one who solders is called), but I'm going to try or fry the board doing it... :p
PatriotInvasion: I wish I could say I've learned my lesson, but I know I'll keep messing with the stuff inside electronics that I should not mess with... It is in my nature I guess...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.