Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple TV's latest update -- version 5.2 -- was originally released back in January with Bluetooth Keyboard support and a number of other features.

Today, FireCore released updated versions of aTV Flash (black) and its Seas0nPass jailbreaking app.

The app jailbreaks any second-generation Apple TV unit with the 5.2 software installed, but the jailbreak for the third generation Apple TV released in March 2012 remains missing in action. As such, second-generation Apple TV units can fetch a premium on the secondary market.

apple_tv_black.jpg
Full list of changes

- NEW! Added support for Apple TV 5.2 and Bluetooth keyboards
- Minor improvements to backups
- Minor improvements to DVD playback
- A handful of other bug fixes and improvements
There is one important note, however -- depending on how users choose to use their jailbroken Apple TV, some may want to wait on upgrading. Firecore adds an important note at the end of their update mentioning that "some 3rd party plugins such as Plex, Remote HD, Rowmote, and XBMC are not yet compatible with the 5.1+ Apple TV software."

Users who do wish to upgrade should head to FireCore's website for walkthrough instructions.

Article Link: Apple TV Jailbreak Updated for 5.2 Software, Third-Generation Model and Some Plug-ins Still Unsupported

Rumple

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I guess hackers just aren't what they used to be. Not very talented these days. :D:p:eek::cool::apple:

NomadicTy

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2007
I was actually about throwing mine away until I checked eBay because of the Comments here. Thanks for the 200 USD, guy! :)

Yeah, I guess hackers are not what they used to be... ;p

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Yeah, I'll happily trade my non-jailbroken ATV2 for ATV3 and $100. Win win since I don't jailbreak.

Timster83

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
Unfortunately the Apple TV is useless to me until it supports all media formats like my WDTV Live does.

Which is a real shame as I think an ATV with apps could be really exciting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.