Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
Nope, it didn't come yet.

Why do you want to use Windows 8? It's as bad as Vista if not worse. Of course, I don't care if you use Windows 8, so go ahead and use it. I just think it's as bad as Vista, which is also what many people think.

i think you should investigate more about windows 8. windows 8 is such a lean and more efficient OS then vista (and even windows 7) in terms of how much resources it uses.

so i dont know why u would compare windows 8 with vista is beyond me. but i do agree with you that vista is a peice of crap. uses so much resources while running, making simple tasks all laggy.

but if you hate windows 8 because of the start button isn't there anymore, then i guess thats your habit. sure it is different finding things on windows 8. but "different" doesn't necessary be a hassle.

for example....when you do a certain task with "turning left" for 5 years. NOW you have to do the same task with "turning right". yes it will take a little bit getting used to. but you're only making one single motion to complete your task.

im currently has been using windows 8 ever since it came out. and i love it. everything is so much snappier and quicker then windows 7 *not even gonna mention slow-azz vista* the quick start-up and shut-down is enough for me to pick windows 8.

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
What's the rush? This update doesn't appear to fix the fundamental flaws complained about in many threads...though I can't claim to have read every thread/post.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Sure, initially it was crap. But it was one of - if not THEE - most successful operating system ever. Not saying I personally like it. You must be reading an old history book.

It was successful because it took 5 or so years to replace with something that was horrible initially. Vista was a resource hog.

It has nothing to do with how good XP was.

Now XP is "good enough" for some people. That doesn't mean it was great.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
It was successful because it took 5 or so years to replace with something that was horrible initially. Vista was a resource hog.

It has nothing to do with how good XP was.

Now XP is "good enough" for some people. That doesn't mean it was great.

I mostly meant great as in as a measure of success, and while not as fun to use as OSX and Linux, I found the XP experience to pretty good. I would even go so far as to say that Microsoft did a pretty damn good job supporting an infinite amount of computer configurations; something that Apple never had to contend with. Given that there's only a couple handfuls of OSX devices on the market, it's pretty damn pathetic that my wallpaper resets every time I reboot on my rMBP 15", and that this issue is but one of many glaring issues on the surface of OSX.

Anyways, my original point was that Microsoft seems to succeed every other release, and that given their track record, their next OS will probably refine the windows 8 experience in such a way that it gains traction. But I can tell you are one of those folks who like to argue for the sake of arguing, so have fun with that buddy.

Last edited:

RedGeminiPA

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Altoona, PA
What's the rush? This update doesn't appear to fix the fundamental flaws complained about in many threads...though I can't claim to have read every thread/post.

Oh, I don't know... maybe the HDMI issues for machines with Intel 4000 graphics. I love using extra dongles connecting my Mac mini to my HDMI monitor for no good reason. :mad:

And, yes, it's confirmed 10.8.3 fixes this glaring flaw.

asknone9

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009
Oh, I don't know... maybe the HDMI issues for machines with Intel 4000 graphics. I love using extra dongles connecting my Mac mini to my HDMI monitor for no good reason. :mad:

And, yes, it's confirmed 10.8.3 fixes this glaring flaw.

This.

johnscully

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2010
The HDMI colour issues are so annoying. Using a Mini-DP to DVI adapter since November (because of the crushed whites via HDMI), but the problem is that my adapter has a loose connection and produces distortions once in a while. And i'm not buying a new adapter for something apple has already fixed, but just doesn't release for whatever reason. Come on, Apple, 10.8.3 should be ready for prime time now.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
People need to stop worrying about when it goes public. Apple is obviously taking their time on this one, which is fine with me.

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
People need to stop worrying about when it goes public. Apple is obviously taking their time on this one, which is fine with me.

Well it's not with me. I wish they would hurry. My rMBP UI lag is awful + the audio glitching.

25ghosts

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
The never ending beta.

With ALL those Graphic Problems pertaining to i.e. Final Cut Pro X.... I HOPE for their sake that this release will fix all that. If not, they are looking at hordes jumping ship to adobe and AVID

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Well it's not with me. I wish they would hurry. My rMBP UI lag is awful + the audio glitching.

If they hurry, you could end up with one or both of those not getting fixed. And then waiting to wait more weeks or months for the fixes. Apple has in mind what they'd like to try and have fixed with this update, and they're not going to release until they feel like they have enough of those fixes in.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
If they hurry, you could end up with one or both of those not getting fixed. And then waiting to wait more weeks or months for the fixes. Apple has in mind what they'd like to try and have fixed with this update, and they're not going to release until they feel like they have enough of those fixes in.

I think this is bogus logic. Are they delaying this release because every single fix still has problems? Or is it because, while almost every single fix works great, there's a hangup with a couple of them. I tend to believe the latter, in which case, give us the updates that do work in the meantime. Instead, Apple is hellbent on making it seem like they have this fantastic error free experience that only requires updates every several months. The problem is, that's not true. They need to step up their research department in a serious way. I can only speak for rMBP users when I say that there's absolutely no excuse for some of these issues to persist since June when the product was originally released.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
That's not what I said. Of course most of the things on their list are fixed at this point and it's just a few holding things up. And some of those things may end up not getting fixed in this release. But it all just boils down to finding the balance between working longer and fixing more, and letting more go and releasing updates more often. Regardless of which way they lean on a given release, you will have users who complain it took too long and users who complain that not enough was fixed and that they should have worked longer on the release to get more fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.