Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randomguyishere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
First off, I really hope this is in the right section of the forums.

I've had the 3rd generation iPad (Black 32GB) since launch day (March 2012). I purchased it for college (note-taking, web browsing, etc.) but found it more of a hassle to use than my MacBook Pro.

So, I've decided to sell it. I posted an ad on Craigslist last night with no set price (had it at $500 last week and had no luck). The two highest offers I've gotten are $300 and $350. Is it just me, or does this seem a bit low? Whenever I tell them that it's in like-new condition (which it is - no scratches, dents, etc. and screen is perfect) and was looking for something in the $400-$450 range, the sale is automatically blown.

Does anyone know why the iPad's street price seems to be so low (could be just me)? Is it because there's now a 4th generation iPad? Even then, I wouldn't have expected that much of a price drop.

Heck, I sold my 8GB 2nd generation iPod Touch (with scratches on the chrome) in September 2010, right after the 4th generation was released, for $115 (50% off original price).

Wouldn't a device (iPad 3rd generation) that's less than a year old sell for a bit more than half of its original sale?
...Or maybe I'm just crazy. :D

Just wondering what other people's ideas are on this. :apple:

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Agreed.

Having dealt with many buyers on Craigslist with past deals, I have learned that many are lowballing regularly just to catch a few careless sellers. Keep trying.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Perhaps it's the 32GB that's becoming an issue. The most popular item is definitely the 16GB. Maybe the 64GB is the second best? Who knows. But, I'm fairly sure 16GB is a top seller. People may be used to paying for a 16GB. Craigslist people are sometimes lowballers so you should expect that. However, there will be that one person that may buy for close to what you are asking. Just wait it out.

marcoity

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
Seattle
Agreed.

Having dealt with many buyers on Craigslist with past deals, I have learned that many are lowballing regularly just to catch a few careless sellers. Keep trying.

This, i tried selling my 4th gen after i received the mini as gift. 95% percent of the responses were low ballers, offering somewhere from 375-430. took me about a month to receive a reasonable offer. Sold it for $475. Keep trying.

susa

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Canada
This, i tried selling my 4th gen after i received the mini as gift. 95% percent of the responses were low ballers, offering somewhere from 375-430. took me about a month to receive a reasonable offer. Sold it for $475. Keep trying.
Yes, you could also try Kijiji. I'm selling the entire contents of the house for more than a couple months now, each item posted both in Kijiji and Craigslist, and just don't understand why CL hardly gets any action except for lowballers and Nigerian scammers. It really is a huge difference. It's insane and I'm at a loss as to why. Perhaps because kijiji is doing some TV commercials is all I can think of

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
the ipad 3's were given to worldwide distributors(malaysia, singapore, latin america) nearly 30 days after release for 15% under store price no tax, so market rate dropped relatively fast. 399- 15% 350 ish brand new...refurb stock mixed in open seal product mixed in drops another 1%-2%. Mini ipad just in past few days hit worldwide distributors, so its price will drop as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.