Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
So, lately I've been using HTML5 for watching youtube videos, and let me tell you, I have a good playback and my iBook doesn't go crazy when I open 2 youtube videos at the same time!!

What's your experience with HTML5 for video playback? Do you use it? Do you use another app for watching youtube videos?

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
My HTML 5

...expeirence sucks compared to yours. My ibook G4 is a titch slower (1.07 ghz model) so maybe thats the difference. Herky jerky video and garbled messed up sound is all I get.

What works for me is Quicktime. In Safari via ClicktoPlugin, or through viewtube in iCab, Omniweb or Tenfourfox. 360p is no problem. I get 480p playback with no hiccups with XBMC.

I miss Coreplayer, I could stream 720p from youtube and vimeo with it. The ibook G4 I had it on went belly up and its linked to the serial number, so that's that.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
...expeirence sucks compared to yours. My ibook G4 is a titch slower (1.07 ghz model) so maybe thats the difference. Herky jerky video and garbled messed up sound is all I get.

What works for me is Quicktime. In Safari via ClicktoPlugin, or through viewtube in iCab, Omniweb or Tenfourfox. 360p is no problem. I get 480p playback with no hiccups with XBMC.

I miss Coreplayer, I could stream 720p from youtube and vimeo with it. The ibook G4 I had it on went belly up and its linked to the serial number, so that's that.

Coreplayer was really cool. I use the ClickToPlugin HTML5. I also have 1.25 GB of RAM. How much do you have?

Also keep in mind that if you have Perian installed, HTML5 videos will suck.

BTW are you using viewtube with the latest tenfourfox?

philz4life

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2013
Coreplayer was really cool. I use the ClickToPlugin HTML5. I also have 1.25 GB of RAM. How much do you have?

How do you get ClickToPlugin HTML5 on Tenfourfox? I only can get it on safari, and it won't let me get into full screen.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
How do you get ClickToPlugin HTML5 on Tenfourfox? I only can get it on safari, and it won't let me get into full screen.

I don't know about firefox, but to get full screen in Safari you will need to download Leopard Webkit and enable advanced features using the shell script included with the download. DO NOT install Webkit systemwide.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador

I use it with Safari and also with the Webkit. I don't use Webkit as much since Safari is old and I need it for my web dev job (if it works for Safari, it works on every version of IE lol)

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
I don't know about firefox, but to get full screen in Safari you will need to download Leopard Webkit and enable advanced features using the shell script included with the download. DO NOT install Webkit systemwide.

You seem to know know alot about leopard webkit. I use leopard webkit daily as my main browser and since you know secrets and stuff do you know a way to get the in-browser download menu instead of the separate window? Like the stuff in the newer os's?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
You seem to know know alot
Well, this is a first!

I use leopard webkit daily as my main browser and since you know secrets and stuff do you know a way to get the in-browser download menu instead of the separate window? Like the stuff in the newer os's?

As far as I know, no. However, you can add a little download button in the upper right of Safari, and when you click on it it'll bring up the window. View > Customize Toolbar > drag the download icon into the toolbar.

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Well, this is a first!

As far as I know, no. However, you can add a little download button in the upper right of Safari, and when you click on it it'll bring up the window. View > Customize Toolbar > drag the download icon into the toolbar.

Ok thanks, this isn't really what I'm looking for so I guess I can live with it. Its not like its life or death.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
HTML5 on my 2006 Intel Imac using firefox was horrid slow! If i wanted to go full screen it would cause major lag (which i never get with flash,even at 1080p)...for firefox (i guess same for tenfourfox?) about:config then false media.ogg/media.wave/media.webm

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
HTML5 on my 2006 Intel Imac using firefox was horrid slow! If i wanted to go full screen it would cause major lag (which i never get with flash,even at 1080p)...for firefox (i guess same for tenfourfox?) about:config then false media.ogg/media.wave/media.webm

I don't know but HTML5 for me has been really good. I mean I can watch the video right in the web browser and for full screen it is just beautiful :) haha oh well.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010

I also have 1.25 GB RAM, which I can remember thinking at one point was an ungodly amount of RAM. I was at lowendmac.com the other day (boo, hiss...but I only visit once a month or so to see if anthing of note regarding PPC macs have been posted, generally there is not) and a author of an article said the minmum amount of RAM acceptable in any computer today is 6 GB's. I did a spit take on that one.

In the latest tenfourfox (19) viewtube won't work for me, even if I set plugins to true in about:config. I use it in Auroafox, but playback via viewtube is poor compared to Omniweb or iCab (via greasekit). For me, right now, ClicktoPlugin using quicktime in Leopardwebkit is the best youtube experience. Outside of mactubes, which still can't be beat. It's a minor miracle we still have all these options. Long may they continue.

I had not heard that about Perian, I will uninstall it and give it a try, but I like most else of what Perian does. You are the guy who had and put together all those freestanding codecs in a pack, right?

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Nah its only been awesome, nowhere feels more like home than this forum does.

I believe skateny was, in fact, making an exestential comment regarding the fact PPC is on what many would consider Operating System life support. Someone I know, a long time (like, since the 80's) mac user like myself, thinks it is insane I only own a nine year old PPC mac. He has to be out on the bleeding edge, bathing his Intel mac in the craptastic updates of Mountain Lion, speculating on the latest iOS release.... Moi, I could care less. I am staying PPC as long as I possibly can. Who else is with me?

Wait, someone else here has already asked that.....

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
I believe skateny was, in fact, making an exestential comment regarding the fact PPC is on what many would consider Operating System life support. Someone I know, a long time (like, since the 80's) mac user like myself, thinks it is insane I only own a nine year old PPC mac. He has to be out on the bleeding edge, bathing his Intel mac in the craptastic updates of Mountain Lion, speculating on the latest iOS release.... Moi, I could care less. I am staying PPC as long as I possibly can. Who else is with me?

I am and yeah i know. lol

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador

I am :D

jsgoulding

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2012
UK
So, lately I've been using HTML5 for watching youtube videos, and let me tell you, I have a good playback and my iBook doesn't go crazy when I open 2 youtube videos at the same time!!

What's your experience with HTML5 for video playback? Do you use it? Do you use another app for watching youtube videos?

I have exactly the same iBook as you, how exactly do you have it set up, as my playback is still poor. :(

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
I have exactly the same iBook as you, how exactly do you have it set up, as my playback is still poor. :(

Well, get the ClickTo plugin for Safari (Works in Leopard Webkit) Then in the player settings, set the quality to 240p. You will be surprised about the quality of 240p, it is acceptable. And that's it, you can start watching HTML videos and say goodbye to Flash ;)

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Well, get the ClickTo plugin for Safari (Works in Leopard Webkit) Then in the player settings, set the quality to 240p. You will be surprised about the quality of 240p, it is acceptable. And that's it, you can start watching HTML videos and say goodbye to Flash ;)

Well, that explains it. 240p isn't bad, but it isn't great either. I use 360p and Quicktime and find playback more than acceptable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.