Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
1. 16:9 would be horrible in portrait.
2. You have an option for an HDMI port already. It doesn't need to be standard.
3. How often do you really want to be texting someone while watching a video?
4. All iPads do come with Wi-Fi and the option to get cellular. They all also come with FaceTime preinstalled. Don't like FaceTime? Install Microsoft's Skype.

Yeah, ok...you never ever have two apps open side by side on your Mac/PC? Never had two Safari windows side-by-side? You never typed a paper on Word and had a PDF of an article open at the same time? You never watched YouTube videos in my window and used iChat at the same time?!

Apple should eliminate anything but fullscreen apps on OS X too! :rolleyes:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Yeah, ok...you never ever have two apps open side by side on your Mac/PC? Never had two Safari windows side-by-side? You never typed a paper on Word and had a PDF of an article open at the same time? You never watched YouTube videos in my window and used iChat at the same time?!

Occasionally on a Mac, yes. Just never have I thought I needed it on an iPad. If I'm trying to watch a video, I want to watch it and not be distracted with something else.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Occasionally on a Mac, yes. Just never have I thought I needed it on an iPad. If I'm trying to watch a video, I want to watch it and not be distracted with something else.

Videos aside, I've never met anyone who uses a Mac/PC exclusively in Fullscreen mode. People compare things from different websites, use a calculator app alongside websites, etc.

It is a legitimate request. Just because Apple doesn't allow it doesn't mean it isn't useful.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Videos aside, I've never met anyone who uses a Mac/PC exclusively in Fullscreen mode. People compare things from different websites, use a calculator app alongside websites, etc.

It is a legitimate request. Just because Apple doesn't allow it doesn't mean it isn't useful.

Oh, I agree. But use on a computer usually differs from a tablet. That's why the Surface is struggling. It's not really a tablet and not really a PC.

If split screen came natively I may use it. I just haven't had the need or want for it yet.

Zav

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
If the iPad had all of the things you are asking for, I wouldn't bother buying one.....especially with a 16:9 aspect ratio....

I find it hilarious you think the iPad needs to "compete" with the Surface RT.....

I doubt the iPad even realizes the Surface RT exists given how far behind the Surface RT seems to be (in sales, reviews, battery life, display quality, app selection).

Oh - and please, for the love of everything that is good in this world, keep iOS and OSX and everything Apple FAR FAR FAR away from anything "Windows". I applaud them for the "out-of-the-box" thinking on Win8, but I absolutely hate Windows and things I've heard and experienced with Win8 wouldn't change that.

You just go buy the Surface - leave the iPad alone, its just fine.

Couldn't agree with this more. The iPad is revolutionary, all other products are based on what the iPad has done and will continue to do. If you aren't happy, purchase something else.

JacobBaldwin

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
UK
Oh, I agree. But use on a computer usually differs from a tablet. That's why the Surface is struggling. It's not really a tablet and not really a PC.

If split screen came natively I may use it. I just haven't had the need or want for it yet.

Bah, just buy two iPads and do all the multitasking you need..! :rolleyes:

But seriously, it seems to me almost like the OP doesn't really understand what an iPad is. I'm definitely not saying this in an patronising way - of course everyone has their own use cases for a particular product. But demanding tons of ports and an integrated mobile phone is just asking for the iPad to become something it isn't.

I respect criticism about products that have been released and are possibly not up to Apple's standards. For example, I understand the folks that reject the iPad mini because of its low pixel density.

But this 'criticism'... Well, it's like telling the popular singer Adele that you're disappointed because her forthcoming album isn't in the style of Nicki Minaj. Just buy the Minaj album in the first place! (and preferably a pair of ears, too...)

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
The products metamorphosis manifests itself in the OS more than the hardware. With that in mind the focus should be on iOS7 rather than the iPad 5.

Expect the usual incremental improvements in hardware between 4 and 5 but what does iOS7 have to offer?

And will iOS7 for iPad/mini/iPhone/iPod differ enough?

With all the screen real estate an iPad has to offer it would be good to see widgets or multitasking like that seen using the Quasar jailbreak app.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Wow this thread is just a big bowl of wrong. Yes Apple will change to 16:9 just for video and it will SUCK for everything else not to mention all the idiots that will take 16:9 video in portrait orientation! Think before you post.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004

Ha, I do split screen on the iPad! No, but I do use dual screens! One iPad and an iPad mini. Using them side by side. I probably watched too much Star Trek TNG when growing up, watching characters using multiple PADDS on the show for specific tasks. But it works for me. :)

Real split screen would probably be useless for me, because how would the UI scale for that to happen? Everything would become really small.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

I would like this as well.

When it becomes available jailbreak and install Quasar, which lets you run apps in separate windows.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Ha, I do split screen on the iPad! No, but I do use dual screens! One iPad and an iPad mini. Using them side by side. I probably watched too much Star Trek TNG when growing up, watching characters using multiple PADDS on the show for specific tasks. But it works for me. :)

Real split screen would probably be useless for me, because how would the UI scale for that to happen? Everything would become really small.

I think they should follow the Surface RT for UI: each app has two layouts (fullscreen, and mini version). Think of how iTunes has a fullscreen and a condensed Miniplayer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Yb68FR37p1A#t=41s

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I think they should follow the Surface RT for UI: each app has two layouts (fullscreen, and mini version). Think of how iTunes has a fullscreen and a condensed Miniplayer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Yb68FR37p1A#t=41s

I've watched several videos, but it seems Windows RT has scalable UI. Apps are made of "blocks" so stretching them and rearranging these blocks is easy. Android is also scalable UI. But iOS has always been pixel precise UI. That's why Apple always maintained 2x scaling for retina displays from the original displays used in iPhone and iPad, and we don't see any other HD resolutions like 1080 and 720. It's simply not how the iOS UI works.

iAll

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
SE NH
Mini SD slot and easier access to my files other than through iTunes.
That's it, is this asking too much?

None of the things the OP wants interests me in the least.

Last edited:

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I find that life offers so many disappointments that being disappointed in something that doesn't exist yet is a worthless waste of time.

Talk to me when the iPad 5 is out. Then I will tell you to cut the dramatics and don't buy it. An iPad is not a necessity by any means.

What's this I hear? The voice of reason and sanity? :D

mouser45

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2013
Look, OP basically said he thinks iOS is stale; ergo the hardware improvements don't matter and won't change his life.

I agree.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
If the iPad ever goes 16:9 i'll buy every remaining 4:3 iPad on the planet. :)

16:9 aspect ratio is something you think up when your design goes horribly wrong like the Surface RT/Pro.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
this forum is like a special school. In this school, all the grades are all mixed up together. You get high school kids in first grade classes and vice versa.

This is a wonderful thing as you occasionally feel really smart. Of course the end result is you become an idiot.

Oh well.

Devlin234

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
Well I'm disappointed with the iPhone 32... I thought it was going to have a holographic display, but they just upgraded the camera.

superfly33

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
All iPads SHOULD have wifi and optional cellular data?

Have you Been to a Best Buy or the like in the last four years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.