Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nethrs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
I'm exporting an Indesign 5.5 file in what seems like the same way, but getting different results with the imagery transparency. I did work on a different file and then came back to it.

In my first series of exports, the background transparency showed fine. The second (as shown below) is now placing a white box around the shape of the image, where the background should be transparent.

How do I get the background transparency to go back to being transparent instead of showing white?

https://www.thefirstacademy.org/filerequest/9708.pdf (this one has transparent background images)

https://www.thefirstacademy.org/filerequest/9707.pdf (this one has white background images)

nethrs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
Solution

Edit > Transparency Flattener Presets : Set to High

For some reason it's defaulting back to low after reopening Indesign.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
Also, I've had issues with spot colors and transparency. Either convert all your colors to CMYK / Process or make sure you convert to a CMYK colorspace when exporting the PDF.

PrePressAcrobat

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
Also, I've had issues with spot colors and transparency. Either convert all your colors to CMYK / Process or make sure you convert to a CMYK colorspace when exporting the PDF.

Possibly
you simply do not have the high rez display on.

InDesign
turn on Separations Preview (View > Output > Separations Preview)?
Acrobat
turn on Overprint > Always (Preferences > Page Display > Overprint Preview > always)?

MSD

Infinitygraphix

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
is it probably just the way you make your PDF.

When exporting, what « Standard » of PDF do you use ?

Try to remake your PDF with PDF/X-4:2010. It handles transparency way better.

Hope this help.

macuser453787

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2012
Galatians 3:13-14
Possibly
you simply do not have the high rez display on.

InDesign
turn on Separations Preview (View > Output > Separations Preview)?
Acrobat
turn on Overprint > Always (Preferences > Page Display > Overprint Preview > always)?

MSD

is it probably just the way you make your PDF.

When exporting, what « Standard » of PDF do you use ?

Try to remake your PDF with PDF/X-4:2010. It handles transparency way better.

Hope this help.

A warning message I've seen many times in Illustrator may shed some light on this. Says something like "Spot colors used with transparency can generate unexpected results." when saving the file. I think this is a clue, and have seen weird things happen rip-side when spot colors and transparency are used together. They just don't play nice together in Postscript land for some reason, which is a limitation that Adobe acknowledges (hence the warning message in Illustrator) and they should probably take steps to address it.

In my experience it doesn't have anything to do with flattener presets or overprint settings. I've tried to get it to work, and sometimes if the artwork (rather, the Postscript) is simple enough, it does work. One sure way though: Converting any spot colors to process prior to generating a PDF or ripping the file will eliminate any spot color/transparency funkiness.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
One sure way though: Converting any spot colors to process prior to generating a PDF or ripping the file will eliminate any spot color/transparency funkiness.

I concur.

For any job that isn't being color separated as spot color, convert all colors to process/CMYK.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I'm exporting an Indesign 5.5 file in what seems like the same way, but getting different results with the imagery transparency. I did work on a different file and then came back to it.

In my first series of exports, the background transparency showed fine. The second (as shown below) is now placing a white box around the shape of the image, where the background should be transparent.

How do I get the background transparency to go back to being transparent instead of showing white?
The PDF must have a certain minimum version (PDF standard version number).
The PDF must have a certain color space.
The PDF reader application must support the transparency and the specified color space. AFAIK, only the newest versions of the Adobe Reader application (with the correct settings) support all possible transparency variants.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparency_(graphic)#Transparency_in_PDF

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Old thread, but as it has reappeared, I feel I must point this out:

Spot colour means "a separate printing plate from the usual CMYK ones, for which the printer will use a tin of ink in that color".

If your printer is only using CMYK on press, then you don't want spot colors AT ALL and you need to convert any spots to process.
If your printer is going to use a spot colour, then you don't want to convert to process, because then you won't have a separation on the extra plate.

Spot colour does not mean "a nice colour I've selected from the Pantone list with no regard for how it will be separated and printed". Not saying that's the case here, but there is a tendency for this to be the prevailing definition. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.