Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:35 AM   #76
alent1234
macrumors 603

does HBO monitor where you access the service from?

i have family who have cable and HBO. i only have internet. would like to watch a few shows using their account since they don't even use HBO go
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:44 AM   #77
Luckman65
macrumors newbie

Is there any way to improve picture quality or is this the best it'll be til there's an actual app?
Luckman65 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:13 PM   #78
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
Wow 3TB. That is a small amount of content space, not even worth mentioning.
Yes, it's small. It'd still take me over two years to watch them all once if I watched one movie a day on average (since I obviously don't watch TV ten hours a day like some people must and have no life what-so-ever). But then I don't store crap that isn't worth watching more than once (i.e. most movies) and frankly, I'm not so rich that I can afford to buy every movie there is just for the heck of it and frankly, there are no hard drives over 4TB right now, so something larger than "not worth mentioning" would require multiple drives and more yet to back them all up and unless you're downloading illegally, lots of cash to fill them.

Quote:
If you're comparing HBO on Demand to HBO Go, it obvious you haven't done your homework and have no clue as to what you are talking about.
Yeah, you can watch reruns of the Sopranos and Sex In The City all day long. Have fun. I've got better things to do.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:51 PM   #79
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Why would you need to stream netflix to your Apple TV via AirPlay when there's a netflix app on the Apple TV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
That's because Netflix is on the Apple TV.
I'm guessing you two don't travel much.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:13 PM   #80
Joe-Diver
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipnetic View Post
In fact, why do you even own an ATV at all?
The only Windows machine I have is my work laptop, and it's strictly work only.

My main system is my iMac with a replaced 2Tb internal drive and twin 2Tb FW800 externals. All of my digital media, my mp3's, movies (300+), photos...everything is on my iMac and managed with iTunes (and iPhoto).

The ATV presents my personal media FAR superior than the XBox with 360Connect does. 90% of my ATV use is to stream my media from my iMac to my entertainment system (HDTV, Surround system, etc) or to rent movies from iTunes. The interface to my personal media is a pleasure to use.

Accessing my digital media through the Xbox, with 360Connect.....sux basically. It works, yes, but navigating through, or searching for, something I want to watch or listen to....just not great at all. If I had a Windows system with Media Center managing it all, I'm sure this issue would be exactly opposite!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:30 PM   #81
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

PHP Code:
[PHP
[/PHP]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusVonMagnum View Post
Yes, it's small. It'd still take me over two years to watch them all once if I watched one movie a day on average (since I obviously don't watch TV ten hours a day like some people must and have no life what-so-ever). But then I don't store crap that isn't worth watching more than once (i.e. most movies) and frankly, I'm not so rich that I can afford to buy every movie there is just for the heck of it and frankly, there are no hard drives over 4TB right now, so something larger than "not worth mentioning" would require multiple drives and more yet to back them all up and unless you're downloading illegally, lots of cash to fill them.

Yeah, you can watch reruns of the Sopranos and Sex In The City all day long. Have fun. I've got better things to do.
You are still missing the point. How about watching a series you never watched? What's the difference between watching that and watching a movie you never saw of your harddrive.
sinsin07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:24 AM   #82
soydepr
macrumors newbie

why you need to have hbo to stream

why you need to be a subscriber at home to stream, cant they open up to non subscriber? for a fee
soydepr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:23 AM   #83
knightfolk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rritterson View Post
If someone can test for me, I'd appreciate knowing whether or not HBOGo is supporting 5.1 audio through airplay.
PQ is fantastic on my 67 inch DLP, and sound is DD 5.1 over Airplay with the ATV connected via HDMI.
knightfolk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:50 AM   #84
Luckman65
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightfolk View Post
PQ is fantastic on my 67 inch DLP, and sound is DD 5.1 over Airplay with the ATV connected via HDMI.
Hmmm...I have a 50" plasma and the picture isn't great. Not sharp at all.
I'll play around with it.
Luckman65 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:59 AM   #85
mantan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux73 View Post
Apple can easily change the game. The game is about money. What does Apple have more of than anyone else (including the entire cable industry)? My theory is that Apple is building up this huge cash reserve because it knows that it's going to take a lot of money to jump start their a la carte iTV. If it wants HBO to be standalone, they could easily match or beat the cable companies' subsidy. Furthermore, it would be chump change for them. If the cable companies try to keep up, they'll only bleed their own cash reserves dry.

And as cable subscribers drop, other content providers will have MUCH greater incentive to move to Apple's platform. Apple doesn't need to buy out all content providers - just the ones that are propping up cable. They just need to pay out enough cash to get these four providers on board: HBO, Showtime, ESPN, and NFL. If they can do that, the rest will fall like dominoes. Then it's game over for the cable companies. Usher in the new iTV era...
That would be a downright scary day. If people are naive enough to think that buying TV a la carte from Apple is going to be cheaper/easier than the current model, they are fools.

The one thing I would agree about is following the money. And unless Apple could create a system that allowed the NETWORKS to make more money...they aren't going to be interested.

Cable and Satellite is treated as the 'boogeyman' in this case....but it's the networks who benefit directly from the current distribution model. Those 'guaranteed' eyeballs created by channel packages mean big advertising money for fat subscriber fees. All of that subsidizes the current cost of TV.

A lot of people naively think a la carte would mean they would pay a fraction of their current cable/satellite bill that represents the portion of the shows they watch. But odds are that for a viable system to work (in the network eyes), costs would likely be at least what they are today.

Lets also not forget that Apple is going to want their cut as well.

The record industry was totally different. Music is an individually consumed item that is perfect for a la carte digital sales. TV is individually consumed, but with first run content and sports, it's consumed simultaneously by millions of viewers. Until you can guarantee a delivery system that is as effective/profitable as the current cable/sat system...it's a pipe dream.
mantan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion