Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:18 PM   #101
Hungry&Foolish
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Waiting for the 11th Beta.
Hungry&Foolish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:24 PM   #102
kensic
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthaunt11 View Post
Nope, it didn't come yet.



Why do you want to use Windows 8? It's as bad as Vista if not worse. Of course, I don't care if you use Windows 8, so go ahead and use it. I just think it's as bad as Vista, which is also what many people think.
i think you should investigate more about windows 8. windows 8 is such a lean and more efficient OS then vista (and even windows 7) in terms of how much resources it uses.

so i dont know why u would compare windows 8 with vista is beyond me. but i do agree with you that vista is a peice of crap. uses so much resources while running, making simple tasks all laggy.

but if you hate windows 8 because of the start button isn't there anymore, then i guess thats your habit. sure it is different finding things on windows 8. but "different" doesn't necessary be a hassle.

for example....when you do a certain task with "turning left" for 5 years. NOW you have to do the same task with "turning right". yes it will take a little bit getting used to. but you're only making one single motion to complete your task.

im currently has been using windows 8 ever since it came out. and i love it. everything is so much snappier and quicker then windows 7 *not even gonna mention slow-azz vista* the quick start-up and shut-down is enough for me to pick windows 8.
kensic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:32 PM   #103
cubbie5150
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
What's the rush? This update doesn't appear to fix the fundamental flaws complained about in many threads...though I can't claim to have read every thread/post.
__________________
15" rMBP | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz | 256GB SSD
cubbie5150 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:40 PM   #104
Michael Goff
macrumors 68030
 
Michael Goff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseordinance View Post
Sure, initially it was crap. But it was one of - if not THEE - most successful operating system ever. Not saying I personally like it. You must be reading an old history book.
It was successful because it took 5 or so years to replace with something that was horrible initially. Vista was a resource hog.

It has nothing to do with how good XP was.

Now XP is "good enough" for some people. That doesn't mean it was great.
__________________
13" Macbook Air (2012) Ultimate
OS X 10.9
Michael Goff is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:37 PM   #105
noiseordinance
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
It was successful because it took 5 or so years to replace with something that was horrible initially. Vista was a resource hog.

It has nothing to do with how good XP was.

Now XP is "good enough" for some people. That doesn't mean it was great.
I mostly meant great as in as a measure of success, and while not as fun to use as OSX and Linux, I found the XP experience to pretty good. I would even go so far as to say that Microsoft did a pretty damn good job supporting an infinite amount of computer configurations; something that Apple never had to contend with. Given that there's only a couple handfuls of OSX devices on the market, it's pretty damn pathetic that my wallpaper resets every time I reboot on my rMBP 15", and that this issue is but one of many glaring issues on the surface of OSX.

Anyways, my original point was that Microsoft seems to succeed every other release, and that given their track record, their next OS will probably refine the windows 8 experience in such a way that it gains traction. But I can tell you are one of those folks who like to argue for the sake of arguing, so have fun with that buddy.

Last edited by noiseordinance; Feb 13, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
noiseordinance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:08 AM   #106
RedGeminiPA
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Altoona, PA
Send a message via AIM to RedGeminiPA Send a message via Yahoo to RedGeminiPA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbie5150 View Post
What's the rush? This update doesn't appear to fix the fundamental flaws complained about in many threads...though I can't claim to have read every thread/post.
Oh, I don't know... maybe the HDMI issues for machines with Intel 4000 graphics. I love using extra dongles connecting my Mac mini to my HDMI monitor for no good reason.

And, yes, it's confirmed 10.8.3 fixes this glaring flaw.
__________________
Late 2012 Mac mini Core i7, 16GB 1TB iPhone 5 16GB white Unlocked on Net10 (AT&T) Apple TV2 and 3 (2) iPad mini 16GB and 32GB black + Verizon LTE
RedGeminiPA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:34 AM   #107
asknone9
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
Oh, I don't know... maybe the HDMI issues for machines with Intel 4000 graphics. I love using extra dongles connecting my Mac mini to my HDMI monitor for no good reason.

And, yes, it's confirmed 10.8.3 fixes this glaring flaw.

This.
asknone9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:08 AM   #108
JM-Prod
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
OS X: Waiting for Godot
JM-Prod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:15 PM   #109
81Steven
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
no update today?
81Steven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:16 PM   #110
johnscully
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
The HDMI colour issues are so annoying. Using a Mini-DP to DVI adapter since November (because of the crushed whites via HDMI), but the problem is that my adapter has a loose connection and produces distortions once in a while. And i'm not buying a new adapter for something apple has already fixed, but just doesn't release for whatever reason. Come on, Apple, 10.8.3 should be ready for prime time now.
johnscully is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:36 PM   #111
Verloc
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry&Foolish View Post
Waiting for the 11th Beta.
It's here!
Verloc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:57 AM   #112
milo
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
People need to stop worrying about when it goes public. Apple is obviously taking their time on this one, which is fine with me.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:50 AM   #113
peejack
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
People need to stop worrying about when it goes public. Apple is obviously taking their time on this one, which is fine with me.
Well it's not with me. I wish they would hurry. My rMBP UI lag is awful + the audio glitching.
peejack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:30 AM   #114
25ghosts
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
The never ending beta.
With ALL those Graphic Problems pertaining to i.e. Final Cut Pro X.... I HOPE for their sake that this release will fix all that. If not, they are looking at hordes jumping ship to adobe and AVID
25ghosts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:00 PM   #115
milo
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by peejack View Post
Well it's not with me. I wish they would hurry. My rMBP UI lag is awful + the audio glitching.
If they hurry, you could end up with one or both of those not getting fixed. And then waiting to wait more weeks or months for the fixes. Apple has in mind what they'd like to try and have fixed with this update, and they're not going to release until they feel like they have enough of those fixes in.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:25 PM   #116
noiseordinance
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
If they hurry, you could end up with one or both of those not getting fixed. And then waiting to wait more weeks or months for the fixes. Apple has in mind what they'd like to try and have fixed with this update, and they're not going to release until they feel like they have enough of those fixes in.
I think this is bogus logic. Are they delaying this release because every single fix still has problems? Or is it because, while almost every single fix works great, there's a hangup with a couple of them. I tend to believe the latter, in which case, give us the updates that do work in the meantime. Instead, Apple is hellbent on making it seem like they have this fantastic error free experience that only requires updates every several months. The problem is, that's not true. They need to step up their research department in a serious way. I can only speak for rMBP users when I say that there's absolutely no excuse for some of these issues to persist since June when the product was originally released.
noiseordinance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:34 PM   #117
milo
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
That's not what I said. Of course most of the things on their list are fixed at this point and it's just a few holding things up. And some of those things may end up not getting fixed in this release. But it all just boils down to finding the balance between working longer and fixing more, and letting more go and releasing updates more often. Regardless of which way they lean on a given release, you will have users who complain it took too long and users who complain that not enough was fixed and that they should have worked longer on the release to get more fixed.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:43 AM   #118
ctakah
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry&Foolish View Post
Waiting for the 11th Beta.
how's that going?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
With ALL those Graphic Problems pertaining to i.e. Final Cut Pro X.... I HOPE for their sake that this release will fix all that. If not, they are looking at hordes jumping ship to adobe and AVID
already happened.. no?
ctakah is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC