Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jachrist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Hey all,

Has anyone received their ClamCase Pro yet? I am going stir-crazy and would love to see that real people (not just tech. reviewers) are getting these cases this month.

Also, when did you order vs. when it shipped.

Thanks.

ECJ

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2006
Memphis, TN
Received Mine Today

Well.... UPS deleivered mine today. I ordered Jan 12th, when i read the article. I paid $149.

I can say it was a little different than what i expected. Im still trying to decide if I want to keep it. I never used a keyboard case before.

Bad points
1. White exterior case
2. extra, but expected weight
3. Folding keyboard back behind the iPad, is odd to hold because you feel the keys while you hold the iPad.

Good points
1. Great and Apple like packaging
2. Very good build.
3. Very good keyboard spacing
4. Easy bluetooth pairing
5. Looks great
6. Typing is very fast, and I have very large hands
7. Special keys are awesome, ARROW keys rock, home key, volume, and others. You never know how much you miss the arrow keys.
8. Offers great protection for ipad.

This was typed on the keyboard case. :)

1%20001.jpg

1%20002.jpg

1%20003.jpg

1%20004.jpg

1%20005.jpg

1%20006.jpg

1%20007.jpg

1%20008.jpg

1%20009.jpg

1%20010.jpg

1%20011.jpg

1%20012.jpg

1%20013.jpg

1%20014.jpg

1%20015.jpg

Last edited:

Jachrist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Wow. Thank very much for the post.

Review is appreciated and pics are awesome.

I can kinda see what you mean about using the ipad as a tablet and how the keys may feel weird. Hmmm.... Let us know what you decide to do.

Thanks again.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Bad points
1. White exterior case
2. extra, but expected weight
3. Folding keyboard back behind the iPad, is odd to hold because you feel the keys while you hold the iPad.

White? When the keyboard is aluminum? What were they thinking? :confused:

Mine is due to arrive today. If i decide to keep it, I see an aluminum colored skin in my future. :D

ECJ

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2006
Memphis, TN
Yeah, the white is crazy. I think I will keep it. Im still finding nice features. Like double tapping the home button on the keyboard, is the same as double tapping the home button on the ipad itself.

Also it works great with LogMeIn's Igition app.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Pretty disappointed with the white - obviously they must be themselves as well since it's not that clear on their page with all the pictures?

Does it feel cheap with the plastic?

Jachrist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Pretty disappointed with the white - obviously they must be themselves as well since it's not that clear on their page with all the pictures?

Not sure why you think this. I knew that the case had all of the white when I ordered it. I am a fan of white, though, and I expect it to look better with a white ipad.

Andy5827

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
Here are pictures of my ClamCase Pro with my white iPad. I have had it for less than a hour so no real review yet.

Attachments

• cc 1.JPG
    cc 1.JPG
    635.8 KB · Views: 826
  • cc2.JPG
    cc2.JPG
    625.8 KB · Views: 542
  • cc3.JPG
    cc3.JPG
    758.2 KB · Views: 521

Andy5827

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
Its a hard plastic on the top. It feels like the plastic on the XBox 360 or the plastic from a normal PC desktop keyboard.

I completely agree. It's a rigid plastic with a flat white finish and feels similar to a keyboard.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
White? When the keyboard is aluminum? What were they thinking? :confused:

Mine is due to arrive today. If i decide to keep it, I see an aluminum colored skin in my future. :D

Other than the white top, it's the best keyboard case I've tried and I think I've tried them all. It comes the closest to the separate keyboards (Apple and Logitech) in feel and key feedback, almost like my Macbook Air. Much better than my Brydge, which feels clunky in comparison.

The combination of my jailbroken iPad4, the BTC Mouse & Trackpad hack and a BT Mouse, I finally have something that can replace my laptop for use on business trips.

Jachrist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Other than the white top, it's the best keyboard case I've tried and I think I've tried them all. It comes the closest to the separate keyboards (Apple and Logitech) in feel and key feedback, almost like my Macbook Air. Much better than my Brydge, which feels clunky in comparison.

The combination of my jailbroken iPad4, the BTC Mouse & Trackpad hack and a BT Mouse, I finally have something that can replace my laptop for use on business trips.

I am glad you like it more than the Brydge. That was the other keyboard I was looking at when I ordered the Clamcase pro. I have a law professor that loves her Brydge for typing on the go. However, when I tried it, the keys were kind of sticky and didn't move with the fluidity of a standard Apple keyboard.

I wish Clamcase would ship mine already...

ugh......

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Sounds like a pretty good keyboard then. Could it be the weight they wanted to keep down on the top part as well?

Really hope they start to ship to Europe soon!

Jachrist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
How does the weight of the clamcase pro + ipad compare to the ultra thin keyboard cover + ipad?

I have the numbers, but in terms of "felt weight difference". ???

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
How does the weight of the clamcase pro + ipad compare to the ultra thin keyboard cover + ipad?

I have the numbers, but in terms of "felt weight difference". ???

Sorry, I have no idea what you're trying to get at. The Clamcase Pro is double the weight of the ultrathin keyboard cover. There's really no way to avoid this.

Is it noticeable? Not to me, but then I don't make it a habit to carry both combinations at the same time.

Todd M

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
March?

I placed an order for mine but it says "We expect ClamCase Pro to ship in March." Did they run out? I didn't realize they were out in the wild already.

Might cancel the order. Didn't realize it was white. Thought it was aluminum. Guess I didn't read close enough... All of my accessories are black.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
I placed an order for mine but it says "We expect ClamCase Pro to ship in March." Did they run out? I didn't realize they were out in the wild already.

Might cancel the order. Didn't realize it was white. Thought it was aluminum. Guess I didn't read close enough... All of my accessories are black.

I have a Clamcase Pro as well and, initially, I was not too happy about it being white, but I've gotten used to it.

March is only 3 days away. :)

Todd M

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
I have a Clamcase Pro as well and, initially, I was not too happy about it being white, but I've gotten used to it.

March is only 3 days away. :)

Good to know about the color. Nothing against white, just everything I have is black.

Hopefully they start to ship then lol. Looks like others have waited a month or more. I didn't realize they were already out there. I have the original Clamcase, and stopped by to see if anything was new when I saw the Pro. It said a couple of weeks ago that it was shipping in March, so they must've ran out of the first orders since they are out there already.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Good to know about the color. Nothing against white, just everything I have is black.

Hopefully they start to ship then lol. Looks like others have waited a month or more. I didn't realize they were already out there. I have the original Clamcase, and stopped by to see if anything was new when I saw the Pro. It said a couple of weeks ago that it was shipping in March, so they must've ran out of the first orders since they are out there already.

All my iDevices and accessories are black, too.

I ordered the Pro on Jan, 12th, it shipped on Feb 7th, and was delivered on Feb 12th.

Jachrist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
I am just really really hoping that there aren't any issues with the battery life. I remember when the original clamcase was released. After 3-6 months, the battery would stop holding a charge altogether.

That, coupled with an almost insulting 120-day warranty from clamcase, led to quite a few angry customers. Even though Clamcase admitted there was a "small percentage of units with a faulty battery," the company refused to do anything for customers outside of the 120-day warranty.

Here's hoping :apple:

Todd M

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
I am just really really hoping that there aren't any issues with the battery life. I remember when the original clamcase was released. After 3-6 months, the battery would stop holding a charge altogether.

That, coupled with an almost insulting 120-day warranty from clamcase, led to quite a few angry customers.

Here's hoping :apple:

I got lucky and didn't have any charging/battery issues. Mine is still going strong after ordering it in March 2012. The plastic case has given in a bit though and has forced the plastic around the keyboard to gouge my invisible shield. I agree on the 120 day warranty. Other than that, I like it. The pro looks even better, save in white lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.