Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:21 AM   #1226
onthecouchagain
Banned

http://www.androidauthority.com/nexu...tead-8-155871/

"Google has updated the them to reflect better battery life for the device, with the Nexus 7 now capable to offer “up to 10 hours of active user” instead of the previous eight hours."

There is hope.

And here's the unofficial changelog so far:

-More secured ADB
-Bluetooth audio streaming bugs fix
-Download notification now shows remaining time
-You can toggle WiFi and Bluetooth on/off by long-pressing them in Quick Settings
-Performance enhancements
-New notification sounds (wireless charging and low battery)
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:36 AM   #1227
The iGentleman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
http://www.androidauthority.com/nexu...tead-8-155871/

"Google has updated the them to reflect better battery life for the device, with the Nexus 7 now capable to offer “up to 10 hours of active user” instead of the previous eight hours."

There is hope.

And here's the unofficial changelog so far:

-More secured ADB
-Bluetooth audio streaming bugs fix
-Download notification now shows remaining time
-You can toggle WiFi and Bluetooth on/off by long-pressing them in Quick Settings
-Performance enhancements
-New notification sounds (wireless charging and low battery)
You don't say lol. Believe it or not, I know 100% of what I've been talking about for the last week lol.
The iGentleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:57 PM   #1228
ChazUK
macrumors 603

I just reverted my nexus 7 back to stock to give 4.2.2 a whirl and things seem good initially.

Waiting for the OTA link for the nexus 4 to be found stop I can sideload that on to my Nevis 4 once the OTA is released.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:11 PM   #1229
TheBigKing
macrumors 6502a

nexus 4 ota it's it's live
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:11 PM   #1230
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKing View Post
nexus 4 ota it's it's live
Still don't have it.....this is where I really love Apple's update patterns.....

Oh well, worth the wait for the better battery life!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:45 PM   #1231
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Still don't have it.....this is where I really love Apple's update patterns.....

Oh well, worth the wait for the better battery life!
You can get it from an OTA or through system update in your phone. Sometimes OTA's are fast and sometimes they arent and its only been a few hours. Takes the system update a little bit to work as well. Ive used both ways.

With Samsung's you can also get it through Kies but dont think there is something like that with the Nexus line but really dont know. You can probably also do a Google search and find it someplace right now if you must have it.

I found a place to get it for my Nexus 7 but im going to wait to get through the phone update. I dont know if ill get it OTA with a device that only works on Wi-Fi.

Last edited by Vegastouch; Feb 13, 2013 at 09:55 PM.
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:32 PM   #1232
ChazUK
macrumors 603

I've gone for the manual update route.
Thumb resize.

Time will tell if the battery has improved. I do hope it has!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:43 PM   #1233
Frankied22
macrumors 65816

4.2.2 is out for the N4, so does it actually improve the battery life of the phone, or were all those people swearing it would full of crap?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:05 PM   #1234
The iGentleman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankied22 View Post
4.2.2 is out for the N4, so does it actually improve the battery life of the phone, or were all those people swearing it would full of crap?
Since now I can talk about it... Yes it does indeed improve the battery life significantly. The main thing I have found to be different in 4.2.2, is the battery life. I can EASILY make it through a day and have plenty battery remaining. I have had days where my talk time was around 2.5 hours, and my screen time was 2 hrs, and the battery lasted 17 hours. With medium to heavy use, my battery still easily makes it to 15 - 17 hours. A light use day now can easily have the battery last 24 hours. All in all, the update isn't a major change. There are a few things like the battery charging sound and the quick toggles (long press to do it), but overall the most significant thing the update brings is acceptable battery life. Whereas before, battery life was the Nexus 4's weakness, it is now something of a strength. It's also worth noting that the screen sensitivity issue has been addressed too.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:51 PM   #1235
aeboi
macrumors 6502a

how much screen time are you guys getting after the update?

I just ordered a N4 with a good discount that I couldn't pass up on, so I hope it's as good as they say. My expectations might be a tad high since I'm using the Note 2 also.
aeboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:13 AM   #1236
Frankied22
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
Since now I can talk about it... Yes it does indeed improve the battery life significantly. The main thing I have found to be different in 4.2.2, is the battery life. I can EASILY make it through a day and have plenty battery remaining. I have had days where my talk time was around 2.5 hours, and my screen time was 2 hrs, and the battery lasted 17 hours. With medium to heavy use, my battery still easily makes it to 15 - 17 hours. A light use day now can easily have the battery last 24 hours. All in all, the update isn't a major change. There are a few things like the battery charging sound and the quick toggles (long press to do it), but overall the most significant thing the update brings is acceptable battery life. Whereas before, battery life was the Nexus 4's weakness, it is now something of a strength. It's also worth noting that the screen sensitivity issue has been addressed too.
Were you under NDA or something? How come no one else is mentioning this massive increase in battery life and is not mentioned under the change logo? Android police has the full change log and it doesn't say anything about improving battery life.
Frankied22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:23 AM   #1237
Opstech
macrumors 6502a

I'm a Nexus 4 and iPhone 5 user. I love both phones, but I'm having issues with my Nexus 4. I would use my iPhone 5's sim which is a AT&T LTE SIM card in my Nexus 4. Right out of the box I had to change the APN settings to get the data and MMS working properly. Once I got text and data to work, I wasn't able to send or receive a text with a picture. It would just say sending. While I was going to make the exception, the bars would go grey. It show'd full bars but I couldn't get data. Calls only. Like the radio was disabled. I knew if I was to go to AT&T and let them know, they would most likely want to change my data or switch to a non-iPhone data plan. I'm very frustrated and want to use my Nexus 4, but I guess I'm having to go back to my iPhone 5 for now. I had the galaxy nexus and switched my sim from my iPhone 4S to the GNex all the time and had no problem. I don't know the deal. If anyone has the same issue, I would like you to chime in.
Opstech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:40 AM   #1238
onthecouchagain
Banned

You can manually install the 4.2.2 update if you can't wait. No root required: http://www.androidauthority.com/nexu...ut-now-156097/
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:45 AM   #1239
NewAnger
Banned

I received my Nexus 4 Wednesday night, UPS delivered it super late. Thought it was going to be delivered tomorrow because of how late it was. Got it setup, tried it with T-Mobile and AT&T. Seems T-Mobile flies. Speedtest app shows between 17-22Mbps compared to about 5-6 on AT&T.

Most od ut is pretty easy to figure out settings wise. My understanding was that there was a built in function to block certain calls. I'm not finding this if it is possible.

Do I need an app for this or what? Thanks

Edit: I'm seeing an H above the signal bars a lot of the time now and sometimes just 3G. Anyone else getting this on T-Mobile?
NewAnger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:01 AM   #1240
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAnger View Post
I received my Nexus 4 Wednesday night, UPS delivered it super late. Thought it was going to be delivered tomorrow because of how late it was. Got it setup, tried it with T-Mobile and AT&T. Seems T-Mobile flies. Speedtest app shows between 17-22Mbps compared to about 5-6 on AT&T.

Most od ut is pretty easy to figure out settings wise. My understanding was that there was a built in function to block certain calls. I'm not finding this if it is possible.

Edit: I'm seeing an H above the signal bars a lot of the time now and sometimes just 3G. Anyone else getting this on T-Mobile?
To block calls of a specific person, go to the people app, tap on the contact you want blocked. then in the top right there will be an ellipse (three dots), tap on that and select "all calls to voicemail).

whenever they call, their calls will automatically be dropped to voicemail.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:35 AM   #1241
Greg.
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAnger View Post

That's surely just showing you're on HSDPA..
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:18 AM   #1242
The iGentleman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankied22 View Post
Were you under NDA or something? How come no one else is mentioning this massive increase in battery life and is not mentioned under the change logo? Android police has the full change log and it doesn't say anything about improving battery life.
Nobody else has mentioned it because they haven't had it long enough to know. I have had plenty of time to put this update through its paces, and am very familiar with the battery life increases it brings. As for changelogs, there are many changes that were made. It's some of those changes that translate into the increased battery life.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:19 AM   #1243
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

I'm not familiar with how Google rolls these updates out. IS it likely to become available in the US today? I assume the people that are getting it already are elsewhere.

I'm really looking forward to some improvements to N4 out of this. I had been using my N4 primarily as a hotspot, and using my N7 for screen use and GPS. Now that my N7 is getting retired, I'm running into more of the N4's flaws. Using the N4 as a GPS is a serious battery drainer -- you need to have it plugged in for all but the shortest trips. Battery life in general seems to have taken a serious hit for some reason, and I'm hoping the update will fix it, rather than me having to dig around and try and improve something that really "just work".
Also the N4's user interface seemed relatively smooth using it next to the N7. Now that I'm using it next to an iPod Touch, I'd really like to see some of the choppiness disappear.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
knucklehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:03 AM   #1244
davidjacobs21
macrumors regular

So i got my nexus 4 yesterday and Ive always wanted to root an android phone and install a custom rom. So i unlocked the bootloader and rooted it pretty easy. I want to flash AOKP rom. i downloaded the rom file and google apps from their website on the phone. I went into CWM recovery and installed those files from the sd card, and it says its complete. I reboot the device and it just sits on the nexus logo screen. I dont know what i did wrong. Anybody got any ideas
davidjacobs21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:27 AM   #1245
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjacobs21 View Post
So i got my nexus 4 yesterday and Ive always wanted to root an android phone and install a custom rom. So i unlocked the bootloader and rooted it pretty easy. I want to flash AOKP rom. i downloaded the rom file and google apps from their website on the phone. I went into CWM recovery and installed those files from the sd card, and it says its complete. I reboot the device and it just sits on the nexus logo screen. I dont know what i did wrong. Anybody got any ideas
Did you wipe/reset the device before flashing the ROM and Google Apps? You also should have cleared the Cache and Dalvik Cache after flashing and before rebooting the phone.

Reboot into recovery (sorry, can't recall the button sequence for the Nexus 4), wipe/reset, flash ROM, flash Gapps, clear cache, clear Dalvik, reboot system. Hopefully that should set you straight--what I had to do after an unsuccessful install of Paranoid Android on one occasion.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:34 AM   #1246
davidjacobs21
macrumors regular

yeah im pretty sure i did that but i want to try it again, but now when i go into recovery mode, CWM doesnt come up. I only see the android robot opened up with a exclamation mark on him. any idea what that is
davidjacobs21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:18 AM   #1247
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjacobs21 View Post
yeah im pretty sure i did that but i want to try it again, but now when i go into recovery mode, CWM doesnt come up. I only see the android robot opened up with a exclamation mark on him. any idea what that is
That is stock recovery. You didn't actually flash CWM recovery. You must have booted into it (I prefer TWRP).

I would advise you to use the Nexus 4 toolkit from XDA and flash TWRP/CWM. Then you can install ROMs right on the device without needing to boot into a custom recovery with a PC or mac.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:47 PM   #1248
Sylon
macrumors 68000

Jelly Bean 4.2.2 hit my Nexus 7 a little bit ago, still waiting on my Nexus 4 though. Clearing the Google Framework to try to force the update didn't work on the 4. I'll try again later.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:02 PM   #1249
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
Jelly Bean 4.2.2 hit my Nexus 7 a little bit ago, still waiting on my Nexus 4 though. Clearing the Google Framework to try to force the update didn't work on the 4. I'll try again later.
Carriers can delay the update. I'm assuming your n7 is wifi only?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:32 PM   #1250
Sylon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
Carriers can delay the update. I'm assuming your n7 is wifi only?
Yes. It's also an older device compared to the N4. However my N4 is almost always on wifi when I'm at home, which I currently am, so it's just a matter of time. I'm in no rush.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Tags
android, google, nexus, nexus4