Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following its move to introduce a shorter Thunderbolt cable last month, Apple has made a similar move in launching a new 0.5-meter Lightning to USB cable.

lightning_usb_cable_0_5_m-250x331.jpg
The new cable is half the length of the standard Lightning to USB cable and provides an option for users looking for less cable clutter in more confined spaces. Interestingly, there is no price difference between the two cable lengths, with both cables priced at $19.

in_ear_headphones_remotes.jpg
New remote design (left) compared to old design (right)
Apple has also made a minor tweak to its In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic. The only visible difference on the $79 earphones compared to their predecessor is a more rounded design for the remote, in line with the remote seen on the company's EarPods launched late last year.

(Thanks, Craig!)

Article Link: Apple Releases Shorter 0.5-Meter Lightning to USB Cable, Tweaks In-Ear Headphones

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Ach. Still no Thunderbolt to Lightning cable?

This MBP has 2 USB ports and six periphs competing for them. Meanwhile the thunderbolt port just hangs out doing nothing.

Doesn't matter if it doesn't transfer data at the maximum speed of thunderbolt, or even any faster than USB, it'd just be worth it to be able to sync & charge without having to jockey these peripheals around in order to do it, or clog the network with a wifi sync.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Has any third party company released a Lightning to 30 pin adapter or Lightning to 30 pin cable yet that carries audio? I'm going to buy the adapter or cable but a cheaper options from a reputable company
would be great!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
really odd how the new cables are the same price... Possibly an error?

The cable itself is about the cheapest component of the package, so using a 0.5 meter cable instead of a 1 meter one doesn't make it a whole lot cheaper for Apple to produce.

But yes, it would have been nice if they could have knocked a couple of bucks off of the price of the shorter one.

ccmovies

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
Boston
Ach. Where's the Thunderbolt to Lightning cable?

This MBP has 2 USB ports and six periphs competing for them. Meanwhile the thunderbolt port just hangs out doing nothing.

Doesn't matter if it doesn't transfer data at the maximum speed of thunderbolt, or even any faster than USB, it'd just be worth it to be able to sync & charge without having to jockey these peripheals around in order to do it, or clog the network with a wifi sync.

I was wondering the same thing. I thought for sure they would have offered a thunderbolt to lightning cable when the iPhone 5 came out.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Sweet!

Now this is the innovation we have been waiting for under the Cook regime. New iMac box shape, new cable lengths! Dying for the new 2% change in the light-greyness of the power cable!

:rolleyes:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Why would it be different? Does the same thing, right?

It's just some may prefer it shorter :D

Next time I buy razor blades I'll remove half the package before checkout. Why not? They do the same thing, just don't need as many. ;)

Personally, I need a LONGER cable. Having to position myself closer to either a USB or outlet connection while using my iPad is a PITA.

O and A

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New York City
New remote design on headphone will definitely make a difference.

Cable always starts to fray a bit on either side of the remote and if you notice they've added protection on both sides of the remote now to help prevent that.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
$79? The one came with my iPhone 5 is good enough.

I bought the In-Ear Headphones back in December 2008 when they started shipping. They are MUCH better that the stock earbuds. I'm surprised they have held up so well for 4 years. They still sound great. FYI, there are two drivers in these earphones. A woofer for the lows and mids, and a tweeter for the high frequencies. They have more of a clear and less muddled sound. The EarPods are a major improvement over the earbuds in terms of fitting into my ears, but a minor improvement in sound.

The Earpods seem to squeeze all the sound, and it sounds a bit muddy.

But the In-Ear Headphones are still as durible as the regualr headphones. So for $80 you BETTER take care of them. I wish they sold replacement ear tips, but they don't. :(

wake8260

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
I'm sure if Apple comes out with a 10ft cable, they certainly wouldn't charge the same price. It'll probably be $25 or $29. It a joke that they can charge that much for the cable.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
really odd how the new cables are the same price... Possibly an error?

I don't think it is odd or interesting. Just think about it for a minute.

The cost of the cable is at the end of the cables, which both cables have the same ends.

What do we speculate the cost of .5 meters of thin white sheathed cable is?

Probably less than $.25. Probably much much less.

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
headphones

I know this isn't big news, but the new switch/buttons on the headphones is a big deal for me. It's awesome, and about time. I'm willing to buy new ones just for this reason alone.

The rounded edges of the switch/buttons will help prevent that section from getting snagged on clothing, which happens to me all the time with the old design - which is very, very annoying.

Thank you Apple for making an improvement in a small thing (sweating the details).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.