Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:23 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's Strict Requirements for Its Third-Party Lightning Accessory Program Detailed

iPhone battery case maker Mophie, which recently announced the first battery case for the iPhone 5, explained some of the unique actions that Apple takes to lock down its Lightning connector to the New York Times.

In order to only allow authorized connectors to connect to new iPhone and iPad models, Apple includes a serialized authentication chip in the connectors it sells to companies in its "Made For iPhone/iPod/iPad" or MFi program. If a company sells those Lightning connectors to another company, Apple can determine that it came from a particular MFi member.

Quote:
"If you took this apart and put it in another product and Apple got a hold of it, they'd be able to see it's from Mophie's batch of Lightning connectors," said Ross Howe, vice president of marketing for Mophie.

The chip inside the Lightning connector can be reverse engineered -- copied by another company -- but it probably would not work as well as one that came from Apple, Mr. Howe said. Apple could also theoretically issue software updates that would disable Lightning products that did not use its chips, he said.
iPhone accessories are a multi-million dollar business and Apple wants to ensure that users have the best experience possible by only allowing approved third-party accessories to be used with new iOS devices. This strategy has the side-effect of making accessories more expensive because companies are required to pay a licensing fee to Apple to be part of the MFi program. Some companies, like Monoprice and Amazon, offer cheaper connectors that are approved by Apple.

Article Link: Apple's Strict Requirements for Its Third-Party Lightning Accessory Program Detailed
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:28 PM   #2
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Epic stuff.
cmChimera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:28 PM   #3
baryon
macrumors 68030

DRM, meet the most basic, necessary and simple (well, not any more) thing: the cable.

I get the need for the smaller cable, I don't get the need for the chip: why can't USB (or a cable that uses a different shape USB) be enough to charge and sync the device? 4 pins, and no chip.

If you want more fancy features like docks and cars, THEN use the expensive cable. They could make 2 cables, one which is only for charging and syncing and pretty much perfect for almost everyone, and one special, expensive one for the few people who want fancy features.

For 99% of people, all they want is to charge their device and sync a few songs onto it every once in a while. What's the big deal??

It's like forcing everyone to buy a car when all they need is a bike.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:29 PM   #4
chuckd83
macrumors regular

"iPhone accessories are a multi-million dollar business and Apple wants to ensure that users have the best experience possible by only allowing approved third-party accessories to be used with new iOS devices."

Somehow the phrase before the conjunction makes more sense than the one after.
chuckd83 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:30 PM   #5
MacNut
macrumors P6

Apple wants to charge top dollar for these cables and squeeze out the third parties ability to sell them.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:31 PM   #6
clunker
macrumors newbie

and you wonder why apple dropped off the most respected company perch. their insincerity has bubbled up to the surface....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...port-says.html
clunker is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:31 PM   #7
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Apple also likes to deny companies too. FiiO, a Chinese based DAC/Amp/PMP manufacturer has requested MFi certification and been denied.
chrmjenkins is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:31 PM   #8
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

The best experience would have been without the six month gap with no accessories (and still no docks, massively high prices and few battery backs).

Apple's attempt to fleece this market has harmed customers.
The Phazer is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:31 PM   #9
bushido
macrumors 603

gotta love how apples marketing department always seems to be able to spin anything like they make everything to "please" the customers when it actually means "to make as much money as possible" if u read between the lines ^^

they should write political statements / press releases
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:32 PM   #10
ddarko
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
iPhone accessories are a multi-million dollar business and Apple wants to ensure that users have the best experience possible by only allowing approved third-party accessories to be used with new iOS devices. This strategy has the side-effect of making accessories more expensive because companies are required to pay a licensing fee to Apple to be part of the MFi program.
Can we stop with the conjecture/editorial opinion being reported as fact? To my knowledge, Apple has never publicly discussed why it's gone down this strict path with Lightning accessories. People who are more skeptical and less doe-eyed than author Jordan Golson apparently is would think that, even if end user experience was important to Apple, the increased licensing revenue from maintaining such tight control is not a "side-effect" but a primary motive for Apple (after all, if Apple was only concerned with making sure devices work well together, it doesn't have to charge a licensing fee at all, it can just test and reject poor products). I happen to believe that revenue is a big reason for Apple's approach to Lightning licensing - as is quality control - but I also know that's conjecture on my part - I don't try to pretend I've read Tim Cook's mind.

More broadly, Jordan Golson has a habit of writing his own opinions as fact in many of his writeups. It's irritating, it makes Macrumors more a fanboy Apple cheerleading site than an operation run by folks who have a respect for Apple but also willing to call a spade a spade when it needs to. If Golson insists on adding his personal opinion to a story, he should use the word "may" - "Apple may want to ensure that users have the best experience possible by only allowing approved third-party accessories to be used with new iOS devices." It would still be debatable but at least it would be clearer that it's the author's opinion and not a well-known fact that everyone accepts is true. See how easy it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
gotta love how apples marketing department always seems to be able to spin anything like they make everything to "please" the customers when it actually means "to make as much money as possible" if u read between the lines ^^

they should write political statements / press releases
Apple has never said that's the reason, this is the author's own spin/opinion/editorial that he passes off as if it's a fact. The responsibility for this nonsense lies with Macrumors, not Apple.

Last edited by ddarko; Feb 14, 2013 at 04:58 PM.
ddarko is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:40 PM   #11
TMar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to TMar Send a message via Skype™ to TMar
The other downfall is extending development times since Mophie just release their battery case. If Apple really cared about the accessory market some of these accessory makers would get prototypes so they could quickly get products to market.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:40 PM   #12
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

I'm with Apple all the way on this one. The lightning cable is s auperb bit of engineering and with something as lithe as an ipod touch 5G it required a plug of this sophistication to be invented.

And by golly that's what Apple did and it is not an area that users would want to try and haggle over a few dollars. Besides that, they are allowing authorised people to make them cheaper anyway.

To complain about this is churlish in the extreme. And also a bit sad.
inscrewtable is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:41 PM   #13
xVeinx
macrumors 6502

I'm going to bet it has as much to do with restrictions on working conditions for the workers at the manufacturer as quality assurance. Applying for a license is one thing, but having the necessary parts shipped to you is an added incentive to keep things in line.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:41 PM   #14
ToomeyND
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by baryon View Post

It's like forcing everyone to buy a car when all they need is a bike.
You clearly don't get Apple. They want to make it as simple as possible. Two cables that do different things but look the same would be confusing. That is why Apple made sure the Thunderbolt cable looks different than the minidisplayport cable......

Or the thunderbolt display looks different than the ACD.....

You know Apple is PISSED that USB 3.0 looks identical to USB 2.0.
ToomeyND is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:43 PM   #15
nagromme
macrumors G5

I like the Lightning connector, but I don't like the sound of this--I file it under Needless Complexity.

I'm not sure how making the chips traceable directly helps Apple make money, though. If Mophie sold some chips, Apple still got paid the fee for them in the first place anyway.

So it does seem like that element may have a legitimate quality-control purpose. And maybe that's worth something: Lightning is an unusually flexible and future-proof kind of connector (able to re-assign its own pins, even power, on the fly) and maybe it's easy to screw it up? In which case, who gets the blame for Lightning unreliability? The third parties or Apple? Either way, we users would suffer the consequences.

I can see why Apple wants to control quality (and worker conditions? also good) before they give out the tech they designed, let their MFi logo go on the box, and allow the product to affect iOS users.

I'm also glad that official, licensed Lightning accessories CAN still be cheap (see: Monoprice).
nagromme is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:44 PM   #16
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

Now, that's innovation. If only that much effort went on iDevices, it would be great!
nepalisherpa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:46 PM   #17
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post
I'm with Apple all the way on this one. The lightning cable is s auperb bit of engineering and with something as lithe as an ipod touch 5G it required a plug of this sophistication to be invented.

And by golly that's what Apple did and it is not an area that users would want to try and haggle over a few dollars. Besides that, they are allowing authorised people to make them cheaper anyway.

How is Apple not allowing other companies to make the same cable cheaper a good thing?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:48 PM   #18
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Only way to stop 3rd party sales is selling OEM equipment and 3rd party prices. You'll never stop it 100% tho.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:49 PM   #19
Lennholm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
iPhone accessories are a multi-million dollar business and Apple wants to ensure that users have the best experience possible by only allowing approved third-party accessories to be used with new iOS devices. This strategy has the side-effect of making accessories more expensive because companies are required to pay a licensing fee to Apple to be part of the MFi program. Some companies, like Monoprice and Amazon, offer cheaper connectors that are approved by Apple.
Yeah, as if that's the reason Apple is doing it. The clue is in the beginning of the very same sentence as well as the next one
Lennholm is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:57 PM   #20
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToomeyND View Post
You know Apple is PISSED that USB 3.0 looks identical to USB 2.0.
Why does that matter? USB 3.0 and 2.0 are backwards compatible.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:02 PM   #21
rodriguise
macrumors member

The MFI program is extortion. It's designed not for quality but to allow a few select vendors who can afford access to benefit from locked in over pricing and throttled inventory.
rodriguise is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:08 PM   #22
ToomeyND
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
Why does that matter? USB 3.0 and 2.0 are backwards compatible.
They are probably PISSED about that too.
ToomeyND is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:19 PM   #23
NMBob
macrumors 6502

Right.

I don't how we survived all those decades with "dumb" RS232 DB9 and DB25 connectors. It's a wonder we were able to print ANYTHING with Centronics or card-edge connections without an Connector Overlord.
NMBob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:24 PM   #24
dakwar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post

You lost me at golly.
dakwar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:26 PM   #25
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020

Their invention? Their way.

/discussion
jamesryanbell is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion