Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RealMonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Okay, here's the deal: I installed an after-market kit into my car years ago that both allows me to use my steering wheel controls with my iPhone and provides a direct audio connection to my VW's sound system. This worked great with my iPhone 3G, and even kept it charged.

My iPhone 4 works just fine with the system EXCEPT it can't draw power. 'Charging is not supported with this accessory'.

This wasn't an issue before because I was just using my iPhone as a music player on car trips. I recently bought the Navigon GPS app, though, and keeping the screen on and using it as a GPS absolutely murders the battery. I think it took about 3 hours to bring the battery down 75%.

So I was thinking that I could get an external battery pack and plug THAT in. Everything should still work, and it would extend the battery life. But is there a chance that the charging will keep the Juicepack (or any other battery pack) topped up?

I'm assuming that the problem with the charging is due to the amount of current the wire is carrying rather than any specific pin-out problem. I suppose I could also try and make an adaptor cable that carries power from the lighter socket but also plugs into the data/audio cable in the stereo. Sounds like a pretty time-consuming hack, though.

Anyone have any idea if the Mophie idea will work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.