Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:54 AM   #1
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

Find my iPhone detecting someone else's mac

So...I don't own an iMac. How did this get in there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stranger.png
Views:	202
Size:	682.5 KB
ID:	396576  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:58 AM   #2
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

Seems like someone signed into Find my iPhone with that computer. I'd suggest clicking "remove from Find my iPhone" and probably changing your password.
Comeagain? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:59 AM   #3
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

I should roll all my passwords over anyway. They are old anyway.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:17 PM   #4
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

I would definitely contact Apple if I were you...That's a pretty big inexpiable bug (signing into Find My Devices should only show the devices that are tied to your account).
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:15 AM   #5
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
I would definitely contact Apple if I were you...That's a pretty big inexpiable bug (signing into Find My Devices should only show the devices that are tied to your account).
Yup, this is a good example why I don't use "Find My Mac". I don't need someone wiping my computer in the event of a bug. (I originally turned it off in the event my Apple ID is compromised.)
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:09 AM   #6
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

I'll have to contact them tomorrow. In the mean time, all other passwords are being changed.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:49 PM   #7
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

I called them up. As always, apple tech support is always delightful. Unfortunately, nobody there can figure out how that computer got on there, and because it is offline, they cannot access any details. They can't even figure out WHEN it was added!

This is kind of creepy. If I remove it from my list and change my icloud password, they will just be prompted for the password the next time they log in.

As tempted as I am to click "erase mac" I'm going to remove and change the passwords and see if it comes back.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 07:40 PM   #8
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

Looking over everything, gsvolt's imac reappeared in my account! What the hell?

Just in case things get out of hand, I'm setting up a second time machine backup. I know know how far "erase mac" goes, but I'm not about to risk a demonstration.

Last edited by mentaluproar; Mar 1, 2013 at 08:25 PM.
mentaluproar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:32 AM   #9
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

It's back AGAIN! Is anybody else seeing something like this in their icloud account?

Edit: I found out who it is. He uses the same name for everything. I actually have a name and address, place of employment, photos, etc. If he's doing this on purpose, he has made no attempt to hide himself. I have to assume this is just one hell of a glitch.

Last edited by mentaluproar; Mar 17, 2013 at 04:17 AM.
mentaluproar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:26 PM   #10
macarne
macrumors newbie

Hi,

have the same issue. Since a few days a Macbook Pro that don`t belong to me shows up on find my iphone. Have delete it and also change the icloud PW. But it shows up again today. Using find my iphone on many devices since years but this is very strange and a bit scary. Hope some one will find out a reason or explanation. Greetings, Arne
macarne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:29 PM   #11
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

I have a number and a name for a rep at Apple who told me to call back if this happened again. I plan on calling her tomorrow. Perhaps you should too. PM me and I'll toss you her number.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 04:14 AM   #12
macarne
macrumors newbie

Have until now not enough posts. You need 5 to send PM. But would be nice if you could keep me posted what the issue could be. Very strange. Spoke to the hotline and they have no clue. Thanks, Arne
macarne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 04:17 AM   #13
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

I'm heading to bed now. I'll see if there's any way I can PM you tomorrow. The more information I gather up, the more likely this will be resolved.

Everybody please check find my iPhone. Make sure the only devices listed are your own. If there are some that are not yours, don't delete them just yet. I want to see how widespread this problem is before I call in tomorrow.