Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Yeah, because Apple is so known for providing bad user experiences. :rolleyes:

You buy a $300 phone, spend $2000+ for two years worth of service, and likely have a $1500+ Mac or two sitting around the house, and you can't afford an extra $20 for a cable? Wish you people would just grow up a little.

Not to mention that it's not inconceivable that Apple could have some pretty far out things planned for this cable's capabilities in the future.

Well the flip side of that is - you just spent all that money and they want to nickel and dime you over a cable. I think that's the point people are making.

You know - when I used to fly all the time - I was annoyed when I was on a flight that kept getting more expensive each time that they would come around the cabin and charge $2 for headphones to watch the movie. Either absorb the cost or just add the $2 to the cost of the ticket. At that point the $2 doesn't mean anything to the price. But as a separate charge - it's poor customer relations.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Actually, the ability to plug it in either way is a convenience for charging. Anything that has Lightning is not designed only to be charged. You're being narrow-minded if you're applying this to other customers. iDevices are meant to work with various accessories and sync with PCs.

I'd be fully satisfied if Apple stopped this DRM nonsense and actually moved everything to Lightning instead of awkwardly keeping older devices at the old standard.
How can other customers with older phones that don't use the new standard, or old clock radios that don't have lightening built in? Who is getting screwed here?

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Well the flip side of that is - you just spent all that money and they want to nickel and dime you over a cable. I think that's the point people are making.

You know - when I used to fly all the time - I was annoyed when I was on a flight that kept getting more expensive each time that they would come around the cabin and charge $2 for headphones to watch the movie. Either absorb the cost or just add the $2 to the cost of the ticket. At that point the $2 doesn't mean anything to the price. But as a separate charge - it's poor customer relations.

You prefer being forced to pay for $2 headphones? What if you wanted to use your own headphones? I don't see what the big deal is about the Lightning cables. You get one with your iDevice, and they're not ridiculously expensive to replace if lost like how the MacBook chargers are.

----------

Why bother type the whole thing out when you don't bother to hear an argument in the first place.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
You prefer being forced to pay for $2 headphones? What if you wanted to use your own headphones? I don't see what the big deal is about the Lightning cables. You get one with your iDevice, and they're not ridiculously expensive to replace if lost like how the MacBook chargers are.

----------

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but it's impossible to understand that other sentence.
Meh, I was editing quickly and didn't bother to fix it.

Back on topic, why is it ok for Apple to fleece the consumer by forcing them to buy new cables and new standards every year. This is the way Apple is making money, by forcing you to buy over priced cables, they are worse than Monster.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Meh, I was editing quickly and didn't bother to fix it.

Back on topic, why is it ok for Apple to fleece the consumer by forcing them to buy new cables and new standards every year. This is the way Apple is making money, by forcing you to buy over priced cables, they are worse than Monster.

Apple last changed the standard in 2003. Unlike the 2003 standard, Lightning is designed to be useful for many years to come with its ability to reassign pins. Apple includes a free Lightning to USB adaptor with every device that needs it, so there's no forcing of anyone.

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK

He's saying that it's bad show to charge for them.
Everyone knows that shops make 1000s of % profit on cables, it would be nice if apple broke the trend.
What a few people have missed is that apple are not allowing cloned cables, they simply can't stop them, and adding ridiculous DRM into cables is dirt cheap for a production powerhouse like apple. There's no excuse for their expensive cables other than the fact that everyone else is doing it.

....wtf

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
my op

So what. I have multiple docks for 4s. They offer an adapter but the truth is everything is now bluetooth including my car. It's just the way it is. If your docking (as I) you will be a dinosaur soon . Stop whining get on board. the fewer the connections the better.....

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
He's saying that it's bad show to charge for them.
Everyone knows that shops make 1000s of % profit on cables, it would be nice if apple broke the trend.
What a few people have missed is that apple are not allowing cloned cables, they simply can't stop them, and adding ridiculous DRM into cables is dirt cheap for a production powerhouse like apple. There's no excuse for their expensive cables other than the fact that everyone else is doing it.

I agree on this. I'm not defending the price of Lightning cables, only the decision to switch to them.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
So what. I have multiple docks for 4s. They offer an adapter but the truth is everything is now bluetooth including my car. It's just the way it is. If your docking (as I) you will be a dinosaur soon . Stop whining get on board. the fewer the connections the better.....
Fewer connections? Apple is making more of them. How many adapters do you need to use an old cable with a new iphone?

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
How is it too big? and if not planned for the long term why use it for 10 years?

Apple had to change the connector to slim down the iPhone. It was planned well enough to be useable for about 9 years, but by 2012, times had changed a lot. The iPhone didn't even exist until 4 years after the old standard came into effect. In 2003, the iPod had a black-and-white display. There was no support for photo or video. The only thing it could do was play music.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Apple had to change the connector to slim down the iPhone. It was planned well enough to be useable for about 9 years, but by 2012, times had changed a lot. The iPhone didn't even exist until 4 years after the old standard came into effect.
And how thin is micro usb? Why not just use the industry standard?

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Why is it not worth it? It's cheaper, cables are abundant.

It's not expandable at all. Once some more things change, Apple would have to change the connector to whatever the new USB standard is that does what it needs to do. Actually, MicroUSB already can't do everything an iPhone with Lightning can do even if it can do the basic functions.

Keep in mind that it's very possible that phones will be able to act as PCs by themselves soon. Apple is being wise in planning for anything that can happen. You think connecting a mouse, keyboard, display, and other ports will work all through MicroUSB? It sure will work over Lightning.

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
Actually, MicroUSB already can't do everything an iPhone with Lightning can do even if it can do the basic functions.

I'm not sure why apple couldnt have used micro USB and achieved everything lightning does (except the physically reversible plug obviously)... It's a just a cable - why wouldn't a non-standard, authenticated, apple branded dongle for 'advanced' features like AV etc. be feasible over it?

Why would they though? There's even people posting here that are happy to pay a price premium simply because they've already bought an expensive phone on contract. Boggles the mind :)

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
-Apple Approved Thunderbolt to HDMI Adapter: $35-45
-3rd Party Generic with Free Shipping: $1.99 (I bought THREE of these just in case and one of them for another family member; they work PERFECTLY with full audio).

Care to provide a link for the rest of us? :)

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
I'm not sure why apple couldnt have used micro USB and achieved everything lightning does (except the physically reversible plug obviously)... It's a just a cable - why wouldn't a non-standard, authenticated, apple branded dongle for 'advanced' features like AV etc. be feasible over it?

Why would they though? There's even people posting here that are happy to pay a price premium simply because they've already bought an expensive phone on contract. Boggles the mind :)

It can. Fatalbert just had no idea what hes talking about.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I'm with Apple all the way on this one. The lightning cable is s auperb bit of engineering and with something as lithe as an ipod touch 5G it required a plug of this sophistication to be invented.

And by golly that's what Apple did and it is not an area that users would want to try and haggle over a few dollars. Besides that, they are allowing authorised people to make them cheaper anyway.

To complain about this is churlish in the extreme. And also a bit sad.

I see what you did there.

geoffct

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2004
I just wish Apple would let the users USE the new features. The cables are serialized which means the device can read the ID for the cable. So why can't my phone go into car mode when I connect it to the cable I keep in my car? Or office mode at work?

The security side of things is just what the laptop manufacturers have done for years, my 2004 Dell laptop had a security chip in the charger. It specifies what wattage the charger is and identifies non Dell chargers. That said I've used a Kensington charger on two generations of Dell notebooks. I've always assumed that if the Kensington charger managed to damage the system, Dell could have read the bios to see that a non Dell charger had been used and therefore deny the warranty.

Apple could be protecting itself from warranty claims and poor customer experience, but it could make that abundantly clear by making the MFi a not for profit program, or at least disclose a very small MFi profit. At that point the uber-secret NDAs and terms would be clearly for protecting the information Apple shares and not to obscure possible racketeering.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
iPhone accessories are a multi-million dollar business and Apple wants to ensure that users have the best experience possible by only allowing approved third-party accessories to be used with new iOS devices.
Or no experience at all... Went into the Apple store a couple weeks ago and still can't buy a dock for my phone. All I can really find to accessorize my phone is $5 injection molded cases in a million shades of pink, and $20 charging cables.

They've pretty much ground this multi-million dollar business to a halt.
I like the Lightning connector, but I don't like the sound of this--I file it under Needless Complexity.
I agree. It feels to me like someone overreacted to a bad experience in the past. It has all the earmarks of an exec calling a idea meeting, holding something up in front of the room, and shouting "Your job is to make sure something like this never happens again!"

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Apple wants to charge top dollar for these cables and squeeze out the third parties ability to sell them.

Agreed and they are just greedy when it comes to making the most they can and squeezing the most out of us. Tell me home much a cable will make or break a user experience? It is just their greed to make as much as possible, only loser is the consumer if you ask me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.