Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
Is this true? My friend told me this now I am quite concerned...I've been using it on the breakfast table and in bed. :(

You have more bacteria cells on and in you than you do of your OWN cells. 1% of bacteria are pathogenic. I wouldn't worry.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Is this true? My friend told me this now I am quite concerned...I've been using it on the breakfast table and in bed. :(

Think about it...

Your touch your iPad with your hand.

Your hand touches everything.

Everything has germs.

Your iPad is full of germs.

In a world full of germs.

I just wash my hands and clean my screen once in a while if it gets too oily...

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Due to people not washing their hands when they pee, you touch an average of 16 penises a day:D

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Relax. Your breakfast table probably has more bacteria that your iPad and toilet seat combined.

Money in your wallet, door handles, light switches, your kitchen counter, and other things are dirtier than any electronic device you use.

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
Your hands transmit far more urine and feces than the distal regions of your buttocks which come into contact with toilet seats. Thus, your iPad/iPhone screen is likely to have more fecal and urine matter than your toilet seat.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
Stop sitting on it with your bare behind. It will be less likely to break as well. There are really no drawbacks to not doing this.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Stop sitting on it with your bare behind. It will be less likely to break as well. There are really no drawbacks to not doing this.

Must....resist......visual...........

Your hands transmit far more urine and feces than the distal regions of your buttocks which come into contact with toilet seats. Thus, your iPad/iPhone screen is likely to have more fecal and urine matter than your toilet seat.

Very disturbing right here.....I'll never look at an ipad or iphone the same...:p

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
Why just iPad ? why not Kindle fire, Nexus 7, Surface(or whatever its called).

Because people have to buy them to get germs on them. :D

Money, doorknobs, trays at the McDonalds/BK, railings, your keyboard, the handle at the gas pump, the ATM; the list of germy things could go on and on to a germophobe. :eek:

whosnut

Suspended
Jan 31, 2013
Riverside, CA
You probably don't need to be so concerned with the germs on your iPad because hopefully you're the primary user and you're not loaning it out to everyone on the street. Be comfortable in your own germs!

Now grocery shopping carts are a different story. How many kids do you think have accidents in them and smear their fun all over? That's why I don't let kids sit on my iPad.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
Now grocery shopping carts are a different story. How many kids do you think have accidents in them and smear their fun all over? That's why I don't let kids sit on my iPad.

That's why I flip out when I see someone use the child seat in a cart as a place to store bread or other items. That's not what it's for! :eek:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Well sure. If you use it without washing your hands after going to the bathroom, handling raw meat etc. Just like anything else you touch would be covered in germs.

What your friend is likely talking about is some articles from a year or so ago where some researchers did swab tests on various computer, phone etc demo models at public stores. Which are being handled constantly by a variety of folks not all of whom perhaps wash their hands, might have just sneezed or whatever. And found that the average public demo unit has as much if not sometimes more bacteria than toilet seats. Which would be why employees (at least at the Apple stores in my area) are constantly wiping off the demos with alcohol wipes

----------

That's why I flip out when I see someone use the child seat in a cart as a place to store bread or other items. That's not what it's for! :eek:

That's why I don't sit on the black ball seats at the Apple Store. I actually overheard two employees talking about how they needed to redo the plastic on them. Apparently they are really expensive and come from Italy or such so it takes like a month to get a replacement if some kid pees on one of them and the sponge part gets wet (they have to toss the whole thing then). So at this store they wrapped the sponge ball in like 20 layers of pallet wrapping plastic and then put the cloth cover on it. (yeah I asked). that's how I found out that they are unofficially called 'pee balls' by every store

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
My friend told me this
Friends say all sorts of things. Learn to consider the source, validate & corroborate.

Isn't antibacterial wipes/spray bad for the screen as it contains alcohol? I dont want my screen to rust.
Alcohol doesn't cause rust. Water does. Your screen isn't going to rust anyway.

From your questions and comments, I'd suggest some general reading on these topics.

ZuneMan?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Apple Store
Friends say all sorts of things. Learn to consider the source, validate & corroborate.

Alcohol doesn't cause rust. Water does. Your screen isn't going to rust anyway.

From your questions and comments, I'd suggest some general reading on these topics.

okay sorry :(

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
I hate antibacterial this, antibacterial that. Ironically, all these hypochondriac parents sterilizing their houses only makes their children weaker. Kids today get sick more often and are allergic to more foods than in the past. Get out there in the mud, eat a worm, leave food on the counter all day and eat it later, get dirty! While I'm no Dr., I think our immune system is like a muscle. Use it or lose it.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Nope. Kids today are "stronger" and healthier than ever in human history.
There are some early reports coming out that indicate that this is not true. Kids in developed countries (some more than others) have obesity levels never before seen, and this is causing health issues and premature deaths. Some of these reports are indicating that this generation may be the 1st generation that lives a shorter lifespan than their parents.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
Last year at summer camp I pooped in a portapotty. Before I had the chance to wash or sanitize my hands, I started using my phone. I have yet to clean it. From that point on, my phone has touched my face several times. I also have a habit of touching my face. But I have not come down with an illness that could be a result of the fact that I did not wash or sanitize my hands after I went to the restroom on that day. OP, I too think you'll be OK. Especially considering the fact that you're exposed to more bacteria outside the restroom than inside the restroom. Besides, not all bacteria are bad. There are good bacteria inside you. There are bacteria in your intestines. You eat bacteria when you eat yogurt. That's why the doctor asks you to eat yogurt with your antibacterial prescription.

Last edited:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Last year at summer camp I pooped in a portapotty. Before I had the chance to wash or sanitize my hands, I started using my phone. I have yet to clean it. From that point on, my phone has touched my face several times. I also have a habit of touching my face. But I have not come down with an illness that could be a result of the fact that I did not wash or sanitize my hands after I went to the restroom on that day.

Well... That was kinda gross X(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.