Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:33 PM   #1
amiolas
macrumors newbie

Running an old game on OS 9.1

Hey, long time lurker here and finally had a question for you guys. First off though I wasn't sure where to post this since there aren't many areas for old OS's, so if I'm in the wrong area if someone would move me or re-direct me it would be appreciated.

Anyways, I recently acquired a old imac G3 running OS 9.1. So naturally I'm trying to get some old games running.

Namely Mighty mike (or power pete for other people). you can download the game itself from here as a demo, and that's ultimately what I'm trying to accomplish.

But first off I can't open up the zip in 9.1, keeps giving me a error on opening the zip. So I unzipped it on my current mac and tried again, but all the files have a PC icon on them, even though the launch files are classic mac apps.

Is there some program I'm missing or is this something that would be easily solved if it was burned to a disc? Any help is appreciated, I'm yearning for the rose colored glasses of nostalgia.
amiolas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Knoodles
macrumors 6502

Use your newer mac to download Stuffit Expander for OS 9 and then transfer it to the old mac.
Knoodles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:04 PM   #3
amiolas
macrumors newbie

Alright I did that, installation went smoothly and I was able to extract the zip through that, thanks. Now I've ran into another problem.

Even though I've downloaded and made sure the draw and input sprockets are up to date as it says to do so in the manual; every time I try to launch the app which the computer still doesn't think is an app, it says:

The document "mighty mike" could not be opened because the application program that created it could not be found.

Any thoughts?
amiolas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Knoodles
macrumors 6502

Been a long time since I played this game. Downloaded it and installed it on an old G4 Power Mac running OS 9 that I use exclusively for playing Star Wars Racer. Mighty Mike played fine. The only thing I can think of is you moved the Mighty Mike icon out of the folder. The Mighty Mike icon in the folder is not really the app and needs to access the data folder inside the Mighty Mike folder.
Knoodles is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help