Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Never saw someone make so many pointless and empty predictions before. "New iPhones will come... Eventually!" Yeah, no kidding.

The real story that needs to be reported is that Apple is basically become a company without focus. They are attempting to grow their customer base in the near term by providing a multitude of products. While it will improve their short-term sales numbers, they will ultimately dilute their brand to nothing other than just another competitor in a sea of many. Apple products used to be trend setting and well targeted, but are now just reduced to following whatever else looks even remotely promising.

Blah blah blah pointless rant with no factual information.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I'm more interested to see where Apple takes iOS with 7 and 8. Its nice getting better displays, thinner iPads and all but I want to do something new and refreshing that I haven't been able to do with iOS before.

I'd like to see some advancement in multitasking with split screen apps on the iPad. I also like to see more integration between the Apple TV, iOS devices and apps, i.e. using your iPad or iPhone to read email, surf the net, or do something productive. I'm not talking about mirroring but having both devices work seamlessly to benefit one another to make things more interactive and efficient.

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
No surprise here... No new groundbreaking products from Apple ever since Steve Jobs died.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
No surprise here... No new groundbreaking products from Apple ever since Steve Jobs died.

Are you expecting another category-defining device like the iPod, iPhone or iPad?

No one else is doing that either.

For example... Samsung will be releasing another Galaxy Tab soon... this time an 8" tablet.

Yippee...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yeah, because I was so looking for a watch to wear... did I wake up in the 90's?

Seriously, I'm starting to feel like is running out of ideas. Maybe this is the beginning of the end for apples.

Rumors are that Samsung is coming out with their own smart watch soon. Are they out of ideas too? Is this the beginning of the end for Samsung?

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
The real story that needs to be reported is that Apple is basically become a company without focus. They are attempting to grow their customer base in the near term by providing a multitude of products. While it will improve their short-term sales numbers, they will ultimately dilute their brand to nothing other than just another competitor in a sea of many. Apple products used to be trend setting and well targeted, but are now just reduced to following whatever else looks even remotely promising.

I agree they are spreading themselves thin. Software and hardware are falling behind as a result.

Consider it was only recently that iTunes 11 finally allowed users to continue to listen to music from one page while going to another. Or that when I look at music on my phone through iTunes it still resembles an excel spreadsheet. While this is small - there are hundreds of these types of things that are piling up lately.

I want to see mac pros on a yearly schedule again with graphic card updates, an Apple TV that will double as a gaming/media storage device, and better integration and overlap between all products especially when using and accessing content.

"Me Too" thinking - bigger screens, cheaper phones or wearable iPods (iWatch) are trivial and damage the apple ecosystem by stealing resources.

They need to focus and fortify the positions/products they have, develop their infrastructure, and target technologically lack luster areas - tvs / consoles. Apple never adopted blu-rays - show us a tv that justifies that. Consoles are tyrannical right now for game developers. Make a more open platform etc.

Apple didn't get to where it is by creating devices that were additive - they're where that at by being cumulative.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Um, Steve's been gone for only a little over a year. What the heck do you expect Apple to do in one year?

And you know it was 3 YEARS between the iMac and iPod where Steve brought us revolutionary products like this:

4-flowerimacs.png

6 YEARS between the iPod and iPhone and another 3 YEARS between the iPhone and iPad.

I wish people would quit with this notion that Apple was cranking out revolutionary devices every 6 months under Steve. It just plain didn't happen.

iphone X

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
His statement about "future releases (plural) of iOS being exciting are interesting to me. I feel like the very *next* version of iOS really needs to be kick ass -- not two or three versions from now.

+1
i hope IOS 7 brings some new features :rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Too many versions of the same product to choose from will drive people crazy. A lot of people had trouble deciding between black or white, now add 16, 32 or 64GB. Imagine if on top of the previous, they have to decide between two sizes!

Also, too many products makes it more difficult to control stock. Apple may end up with too many of one product, and not enough of another.

Plus, it creates more R&D costs, and more products to do quality control on.

If this rumor is true, then Apple may be taking the wrong turn.
SJ was smart in this sense: Don't give people too many choices!
So that's why he approved these?

imac_lifesavers.jpg

And these?

ipod-nano-4th.jpg

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
I hope they just call it the Apple Watch like the Apple TV :)
Sounds much more elegant and that's the kind of image you want for a watch.
And I always suspected this is why Apple discontinued the last gen Nano.
That Nano-watch thing had a serious following.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
I agree that it needs to be great. However, the sense urgency is less because a) it's already great, unmatched in some absolutely vital areas (security, ease of use, ease of full backup/restore, prevention of apps from messing up your device, media and app availability, easy mass delivery of OS updates). And b) because evolution, rather than single big jumps, is actually more the norm for Apple. And it's a useful approach.

As a popcorn-munching tech-watcher, I enjoy those rare big leaps, and I hope for one every time! As a user, getting the same place in a series of small steps is just as good... maybe better. Evolution doesn't make the same headlines as revolution, but it's just as innovative.

I think the next big jump or the next update that feels big will be from whole bunch of little steps from various iOS updates coming together.

I think iOS7 is primed ready for such jump.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
What would iOS 7 have to be able to do to "wow" you?
Something along the lines of improved display of glanceable information on the lock screen, more flexibility in displaying dynamic information without having to go into an app when the device is unlocked, some relaxation of the siloing of information within apps so that different apps can better work together, multiple user accounts at least on iPad, e-Wallet, etc. These are all things I'm sure many people have pointed out beore. I don't necessarily have specific implementation details in mind, but certainly whatever way these things are implemented, it needs to be presented to the user in a simple, uncluttered manner while respecting security, privacy, and power consumption.

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Apple really cannot ignore emerging markets like the BRIC countries for instance, without getting left behind a bit.
They will, at some point have to address and consider a cheaper iPhone as these countries cannot afford any current iterations and Apple as a global company also cannot afford to ignore them.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Um, Steve's been gone for only a little over a year. What the heck do you expect Apple to do in one year?

And you know it was 3 YEARS between the iMac and iPod where Steve brought us revolutionary products like this:

6 YEARS between the iPod and iPhone and another 3 YEARS between the iPhone and iPad.

I wish people would quit with this notion that Apple was cranking out revolutionary devices every 6 months under Steve. It just plain didn't happen.

SHHHHHHH...SHUT YOUR MOUTH...YOU ARE SPEAKING WITH FACTUAL INFORMATION.

The trolls don't like facts!!!!

:)

Yep...people for some reason confused revolutionary devices every year with product updates with real change every 3 or so years.

----------

I think the next big jump or the next update that feels big will be from whole bunch of little steps from various iOS updates coming together.

I think iOS7 is primed ready for such jump.

Ive for years has been wanting to be the 'designer' of iOS. Only Steve's personal preference and guarding of Forstall kept the crappy design of iOS down.

I really think Ive is going to hit it out of the park with the new look of iOS. Look for a very clean, modern, cutting edge design. Don't be surprised to even see them create a new font just for iOS.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
Rumors are that Samsung is coming out with their own smart watch soon. Are they out of ideas too? Is this the beginning of the end for Samsung?

I would expect that kind of behavior from a company like samsung as they like to follow trends and such.

I just expect something more from apple. And rightfully so since they expect more from our pocketbooks... :apple:

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
+1
i hope IOS 7 brings some new features :rolleyes:

Jony Ive has only been in charge of software, what...three months?

He deserves at least a year to put his mark on what he wants iOS 7 to look like and do...in the name of getting it right, that may mean late 2013- early 2014 for iOS 7 and/or MacOS 10.9.

Again, I would rather that any new versions get it right rather than get it out fast.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
So this was much more pleasant than the other "nope" dude.

Would you guys be happy if he just said

"Yup."

?

Radio

I'll never understand why people sign off their forum posts. It says your name at the top, there's no need to repeat it.

mrtravel123

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Those that complain that Apple has "lost its vision" are apparently new to the world of Apple. If you look back at the history of Apple over the past 30 years, Apple was never as successful as it is today. Granted, Apple had amazing success with the iPod series AND Mac owners loved their Macs. But, Apple never became so synonymous with innovation until the iPhone came out. Prior to that, Apple was a known and respected brand to many, but still not a company that could so quickly impact millions of consumers like it can today. As far as I can recall in my 30 years of owning Apple products (going back to the Apple II plus, Mac SE, etc), there were never hordes of customers outside of Apple stores when a new iPod or other Apple product was released. This fanaticism with a new Apple product really exploded with the first iPhone, the product that many argue is Apple's most innovative product to date. It wasn't just a better phone, it massively impacted the direction of cell phone use. So, if you're expecting Apple to re-create the Iphone phenomenon every year... you'll be sadly disappointed. Look how long it took Apple to get to the iPhone. Give Apple a break. It is a great company.... but not a miracle worker. Just like with the OTHER Apple products over the past X number of years, it doesn't have to be cutting edge. It just has to be great.

As well, if you think that making different sizes or versions of the iPhone is Apple "giving in" - then I guess you're ignoring the fact that Apple has almost always had different versions / sizes with most of their hardware products. How many iPods are there? Just one? No, there are several sizes and shapes. How about with their laptops? Is there just one to choose from? No, there are several. How about desktops? Again, several to choose from. Although making a cheaper iPhone may cut into profits, a cheaper iPhone WILL meet the needs of a particular consumer that can't afford a full-blown iPhone, just like not everyone can afford to buy a Touch or the best MacBook Pro. Not everyone works with the same budget or has the same need. Some people also like smaller vs. larger. Look at how many consumers LOVE the smaller iPad. A customer that is satisfied with a smaller iPad is still a happy customer. They just may be a customer who has a smaller budget - or who prefer something more portable. Apple is meeting the needs of consumers, regardless of how many models / versions there are to other phones. Having different models / versions / sizes is not bad, and it isn't giving in. Again, I refer you to the history of Apple and their many other products.

FuFuFu

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
Come on ... what's the profit of the iWatch?

• Screen is to small.
  • Retina Display
  • Touch-screen on iWatch, with baby fingers only?
  • You have to charge everyday.
  • It's from apple.

It only would work as a display for the iphone ... some very basic inputs are possible. So you don't need to check your iPhone so often, instead you check your iWatch. Controll your playlist over the iWatch.

Price will be 199$ for 2GB 299$ for 4GB ...

mrtravel123

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
I really can't see Apple making a less expensive iPhone.

Why not?

-- Apple has 4 different sizes of iPods... which they didn't at first.

-- Apple has 2 different sizes of iPads.... which they didn't at first.

-- Apple has 2 sizes of MacBook Airs... which they didn't at first.

-- Apple has 2 sizes of MacBook Pros... which they didn't at first. (Had 3 at one point).

-- Apple has 3 unique desktop models to choose from.... with the iMac coming in 2 different physical sizes.

To not have more diversity would not match Apple's history in adding additional models to a specific product line. EACH of the above products not only improved over the years.... but each product also "grew" into a product available in different sizes or forms. A smaller iPod, a smaller iPad, a smaller MacBook Air, different desktop models based on budget and need, etc.

A smaller iPhone will likely be just as successful as the smaller iPad in my opinion. For Apple to meet the need of a consumer who WANTS a smaller product.... that is a good thing. It isn't bad. It also isn't compromising. So long as Apple maintains a superior quality and great experience.... they are accomplishing their goal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.