Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Crowd funding website Kickstarter launched an official app for the iPhone this morning, giving project creators, backers, and potential customers a new way to interact with the site.

The app allows users to find new products and keep tabs on backed projects, while also offering up tools for creators.
Take it for a spin...

-Discover new projects
-Watch project videos
-Get updates from projects and your friends

Are you a project creator?

-Use the app to stay connected with your backers
-Track your project's progress
-Post updates from wherever you are.
kickstarterforiphone.jpg
Projects can be browsed using popularity and category filters, and logging in with a Kickstarter account provides the option to follow funded projects. Creators can manage pages, keep track of pledges, and upload photos and videos from within the app.

Kickstarter for iPhone is available as a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Kickstarter Launches Official App for the iPhone

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Sooner or later I figure I'm going to want to crowd source one of my ideas so... Downloaded.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
What would really be great is if you could fund projects via IAP (i.e. using your AppleID). Now I'm sure the Apple 30% cut hoses this idea, it'd be nice if they could get an exception for it. But it would be really convenient and might mean more funding as "impulse" buys.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Why use an app for something you can do on a browser? Unless you do it everyday.

I see more disadvantages than advantages.

But the general public probably sees it the other way around.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Why use an app for something you can do on a browser? Unless you do it everyday.

I see more disadvantages than advantages.

But the general public probably sees it the other way around.

It's much more pleasant to use this than the website on an iPhone screen. Also, it has push notifications, so I've been able to disable the email updates.

C

champ01

Apple should just buy Kickstarter.

Hell no! Why would anyone want that?
Every company that Apple buys can close their doors.

Be happy that there are sites like Kickstarter with people who are not obsessed with money like Apple is.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
It's much more pleasant to use this than the website on an iPhone screen. Also, it has push notifications, so I've been able to disable the email updates.
Right, but I have an iPad mini so desktop versions of websites are great on it. And I typically don't want push interruptions. Of course when I do, an app is invaluable. But I really don't want any notifications from sites like Wikipedia, google search, kickstarter, quora, macrumors forums, google+, facebook, twitter, etc. I'd rather go there myself to check if anything is new rather than receive notifications every hour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.