Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TechCrunch's MG Siegler reports that Apple indeed appears to be moving closer to making a major push into television, perhaps leveraging the existing iOS-based Apple TV to pursue gaming as a focus point for the initiative.

Xbox founding engineer Nat Brown had noted earlier this week that he believes Apple could destroy the traditional console gaming business by opening up the Apple TV platform to third-party apps, and Valve founder Gabe Newell had expressed similar sentiments several weeks earlier.

But while Siegler has not heard any specific information about how Apple would open up the Apple TV to developers, multiple sources have informed him that something does appear to be brewing for later this year.
I haven't heard anything specific about the SDK, but the chatter about Apple's broader television plans has been picking up. And if that chatter is to believed, something is happening this fall -- likely late fall. As always with Apple, those plans are subject to change (and, in fact, have changed a few times in the past -- see: "Project Sphere"). As you might imagine, content deals remain a bitch, yet remain vital to such a project. But multiple sources suggest everything is finally lining up for this fall.
Siegler goes on to note that he does not know if the effort will include an actual television set at launch, but he argues that it doesn't really matter whether Apple does or not. The key is to bring apps to either the existing Apple TV concept or to new hardware, whether it be a new set-top box or integrated into a television set.

apple_tv_2012_interface.jpg
Siegler suggests that under this scenario Apple is likely to hold an event several months ahead of this projected late fall TV hardware launch, using the earlier event to introduce developer tools for the existing Apple TV, although whether that introduction might come mid-year at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference or at a separate event is unknown.

Earlier this week, analyst Peter Misek claimed that Apple would be holding a television-related product event next month, but the rumor was quickly refuted by The Loop's Jim Dalrymple.

Article Link: Apple's New TV Effort May Kick Off This Fall with Focus on Third-Party Apps

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
This is getting exciting! I hope they offer the content not just in the United States, but internationally. (Otherwise, I'll use a proxy server.)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Got my Apple TV and I've got to say, it is really great. I always thought of it as a extra to have, but not essential. I still don't think it's essential, but not an extra anymore. More like a nice companion instead of having to drag my laptop and hook it up to the TV.

BlueTooth keyboard supports rocks.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
If the rumors hold up for later this year, then the "hobby" should move into a more professional realm. Apps (or the lack thereof) on the ATV are certainly the biggest complaint many folks have with it.

StarPower

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
If this happens in the way it seems Apple will do it (revolutionarily, putting their stamp on it, forever changing it), along with rumors of "iWatch", I'm incredibly exciting for the innovative prospects of Apple going forward.

Tim Cook wasn't lying when he told Brian Williams "Don't bet against us". :apple:

-AG-

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Austalia
The only reason that i Jailbreak my current ATV2 is for the Plex.app.

If they can make it a legit app that i can purchase through the app store for say $2.99 I'd be more than willing to do so and wont need to jailbreak anymore either.

Fingers crossed

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
For games to succeed I'd have been tempted to say you need more cutting-edge graphics horsepower, but the Wii saw success for a time based on fun rather than CPU cycles... and I see Real Racing 3 on an iPhone looking pretty darned impressive and running fast.

What you really need is just an SDK and a control method. (Which might be an iPad/iPhone, but that limits the audience.)

And most gaming is "casual" anyway, even if advertising and game journalism focuses on the hard-core niche. (A niche which, if AppleTV is unable to serve it--including a great controller--then that's a reason for traditional consoles to stay around.)

If you subtract games, and stick with the current remote, it would still be nice to have custom apps for all kinds of other content sources. Crackle, non-cable TV networks, Devour, etc.--the kinds of video apps iPad already has but AppleTV lacks. Radio/music/podcast apps too.

pixelpro

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
Watches, TVs, iPads, Maxi/Mini iPhones. An iStorm is brewing in Cupertino.

Last edited:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Everyone's waiting. Question is when. While these guys make some good points. It doesn't seem as though obtaining the content will be an easy feat. 3rd party Apps may be the way to go. But that leaves a lot of questions unanswered

extensor

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2006
In addition to existing content and apps, I would like to see Apple include an app like iBooks Author but for TV shows. Making it easy for anyone to produce their own shows and sell them thru iTunes. appleTV Author?

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Coming soon - Angry Birds on your TV, with touch controls from your iPhone/iPad.

Yeehaw. Not really a threat to any console gaming for a long time.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Earlier this week, analyst Peter Misek claimed that Apple would be holding a television-related product event next month, but the rumor was quickly refuted by The Loop's Jim Dalrymple.

This is one of my pet peeves. Peter Misek's claim wasn't refuted by Jim Dalrymple, it was repudiated by him. To refute means to prove wrong. To repudiate means to deny the truth of.

Almost every use of the word 'refute' is wrong, in my experience.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
When articles and people talk about opening the "current" Apple TV to developers, surely they just mean the current form factor, yes? Wouldn't it be necessary for an Apple TV to be considerably upgraded to run apps like games or much anything else that isn't a content menu like Netflix or Hulu?

I don't know the technical bits or what's required, but at the very least, it seems that hard drive size options might be necessary.

drcreek

macrumors member
May 7, 2008
Uddevalla, Sweden
You have to be careful with Jim.

You have to be careful with Jim.

He said they wouldn't hold an event for an SDK. He didn't say they wouldn't be holding one at all!

Last edited by a moderator:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Regretfully, I don't see the point in 3rd party apps on a TV. Watching Movies and TV shows is what I dig. It would be nice if Apple implemented a great way to play games on this apparent Apple TV.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
How much storage does the current ATV 3 have? Does even have any flash storage for apps?

The Apple TV 3 has 8GB NAND memory

When articles and people talk about opening the "current" Apple TV to developers, surely they just mean the current form factor, yes? Wouldn't it be necessary for an Apple TV to be considerably upgraded to run apps like games or much anything else that isn't a content menu like Netflix or Hulu?

I don't know the technical bits or what's required, but at the very least, it seems that hard drive size options might be necessary.

There could be limited apps on the 3rd gen but we don't know the exact specs of the new Apple TV that is supposed to be a silent upgrade. It could have 16 or 32 GB flash memory. Enough to run lots of stuff.

Kind of like the iPad specs.

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
Regretfully, I don't see the point in 3rd party apps on a TV. Watching Movies and TV shows is what I dig. It would be nice if Apple implemented a great way to play games on this apparent Apple TV.
Think ... again.

If watching movies and TV shows is what you dig, e.x. AirVideo on an Apple TV would be a killer app for every hometheater enthusiast.

Games is just another HUGE opportunity to gain even more presence in people´s lives. It´s about easy and fast access and a device that can do it all. It will also drive developers to build more and better games.

Apple needs to do this, because they currently are at a crucial point where they´ve been rather un-revolutionary with regards to new ideas and solutions so that their competitors have more time to adjust or even offer on-par devices at a lower cost.

Simply building newer iPhones and iPads is not enough. The next iPad is going to have so much CPU and GPU power that there´s barely any games out there that need it. A lot of people skipped the iPad 4, because an iPad 3 still is very popular, has sufficient capabilities and is now much cheaper.

Thinner and lighter has it´s limits. They need new selling points.

Last edited:

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Seriously -- apps coming to Apple TV without a doubt would become a game changer in the CONTENT distribution business. If -- if in fact the content kings are fighting the prospects of a proposed paradigm shift towards "al la carte" programming -- that fight could deflated by a mass market device.. Think about it..

If ANY developer could in fact create an app that delivers "original" or "licensed" product -- what would Apple potentially need network or licensed programming per say. Plus -- plus it would in a way make the App Store a type of "you tube" like marketplace -- where anyone literally could develop an app to deliver content..

Studios are you listening? I happen to work for one of the majors.. Apples iOS user base is just north of 500 mil and growing. Add a real Apple TV that is content loaded -- seriously HOLY ****-AH! Plus what would stop Apple itself or an acquired property from bringing or making its own content deals -- even though Apple claims it wouldn't do -- I call BS on that..

Content is king.. Mark my words -- the value of content will soon start to accelerate -- deals like NFL, NBA, etc etc.. All the players - Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc know all to well that it's the content stupid.. And yea software in my world is considered content.....

Apple TV unlocked could blow the lid off the way content gets distributed -- frankly the dynamics of this delivery will ultimately force Hollywoods hand..

I'm wrong? Tell that to the music industry... ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.