Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

999blb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
As the title says above, what do you think about tablets (like the Nexus 10 or iPad, as examples) being used in schools/education? In my opinion, I'm all for it. I have a Nexus 7, and it's honestly a really great tablet. I'm a high school student, and it does help aide me in school. I read a lot of eBooks on it, I use it during study hall for questions that require internet, I type essays on it using Google Drive, and much more. It's nice that I can do so much on one device so easily, and be able to pick it up later at home on my laptop. Tablets will be the future of education. They will save paper, make it easier to submit homework, and just make education more efficient.

Here's a story that happened just today about me using my Nexus in class:
During History, we had a substitute teacher for that class. He had given us notes that our regular teacher normally uses. Whenever we have them, the regular teacher would have a PowerPoint/slideshow presentation on the Smart Board, and we'd fill in the notes. The substitute said that he had no access to this presentation, and that the other three classes said the exact same thing. He said that we should just use our books to fill it in, but the notes would probably not even be close to the presentation's notes. Using my Nexus, I was able to find the exact same presentation he always uses, and I started to download it.

Just after I started the download, the substitute said to put it away. I did so, and I let it finish downloading. Once I saw it finished, I pulled it back out and started copying down the correct notes. After I finished the first page of the notes, the substitute comes over and swipes it away from me. I could see why he'd do so if I was playing a game or something like that, but I was using it for educational purposes. He never asked what I was doing or why; he just took it and said "Come get this after class."

So yeah, that was something that happened to me today, and I thought it was unfair in a way. I'm not going to get in trouble for it, luckily. I just wanted to actually be productive and have the right answers we'd get with the exact presentation I downloaded.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
1) You didn't once attempt to explain why you were using it. Of course the teacher will think you're just messing around.

2) WTH happened to writing on a blackboard and students writing in notebooks???? God I hate PowerPoint.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Yes, I'm definitely for tablets in schools; we have seen improvements in students grades, attendance and discipline.

We are running a pilot for several grades / schools. We have deployed over 1000 iPads to students and teachers.

Next year we are looking for 10,000 deployed and the next year or two 30,000+.

I say good on you for being polite, even though the sub is... 'miss informed'.

Last edited:

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Unless the blackboard gets wiped down with a wet paper towel it becomes incredibly difficult to see what is written.

What school still has a blackboard?

:p

My experience has been that students play on the tablet more than doing work on it when in class.

djjclark

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
UC Irvine reports that students taking part in the program scored on average 23% higher on their exams than previous UC Irvine medical school classes, but such has been the success of the roll-out that some students are even hoping to utilize the iPad to improve healthcare across the globe.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Most teachers don't like you pulling out a computer or tablet to take notes or anything unless you tell them in advanced. If you're using technology, it should be for group activities, unless you're taking notes.

My teachers in college would rather hand you the notes in PDF/printed form than let you type them for whatever reason.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I don't really like when schools try to incorporate technology into everything. It's not bad but it's obvious and annoying when it is purposely done.

Anyways, the sub told you to put it away and you took it out again. Not really surprising why it was taken. It doesn't matter what you were doing with it. You should've asked before taking it out. Don't take it personally. You just have to remember that 1) the sub doesn't know what you cover in class 2) the sub doesn't know the downsides of the book and 3) the sub can't check to see if you're messing around on it. The sub can get in trouble for allowing students to mess around and play games (again, it's not like he can verify you aren't playing games). Then you have your tablet out, so the next person wants their phone and the next wants their iPod ... etc etc.

Then an administrator walks in.

Unless the blackboard gets wiped down with a wet paper towel it becomes incredibly difficult to see what is written.

Yup.
But a lot of schools have whiteboards with dry erase markers. Still the same thing mobilehaathi was trying to get at, I think.

Last edited:

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
1) You didn't once attempt to explain why you were using it. Of course the teacher will think you're just messing around.

2) WTH happened to writing on a blackboard and students writing in notebooks???? God I hate PowerPoint.

1. He explained in this post that he was downloading the correct presentation. Maybe he did try explaining it to the substitute teacher.

2. I haven't seen a blackboard since probably 4th grade. Everyone switched to white boards and those projectors that have the clear plastic that the teacher could write on. Technology is changing education, I wouldn't doubt the next generation or two of students don't even have to show up to class, they'll go to school from their house over the internet.

---

My response to the OP, remember tablets just started getting popular since the first iPad, sure the substitute teacher is going to think you're not doing school work. Just let it sly, do I think tablets should be used in high school? Not yet, definitely in college though. I don't think the maturity level for high school students are big enough to have the discipline to focus on education (no offense to anyone).

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I think it's stupid. I know, personally, I absorb things far better when working by hand on paper than I do typing them up on a computer. Computers are great for research tasks, but they shouldn't be used for everything in school. Leave some stuff to pen and paper.

Last edited:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
2. I haven't seen a blackboard since probably 4th grade. Everyone switched to white boards and those projectors that have the clear plastic that the teacher could write on. Technology is changing education, I wouldn't doubt the next generation or two of students don't even have to show up to class, they'll go to school from their house over the internet.

School isn't just bout learning. There are major social elements to it that online classes cannot replicate. (Plus how would you do PE?)

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
School isn't just bout learning. There are major social elements to it that online classes cannot replicate. (Plus how would you do PE?)

I'm sure it'll be different in the upcoming generations.

As for PE, come on, that is a joke. Some push ups, sit ups, 1 mile run, basketball. People should have enough discipline to stay in shape.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I'm sure it'll be different in the upcoming generations.

As for PE, come on, that is a joke. Some push ups, sit ups, 1 mile run, basketball. People should have enough discipline to stay in shape.

Have you seen the average American's stomach? And keep in mind that without schools, the only people left to teach children discipline are their parents, whom, chances are, are overweight themselves.

Oh, and speaking of parents... many don't have time in the day to watch over their child at home. Either being single or both mother and father having jobs. They rely on their children being at school during this time.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Have you seen the average American's stomach? And keep in mind that without schools, the only people left to teach children discipline are their parents, whom, chances are, are overweight themselves.

Oh, and speaking of parents... many don't have time in the day to watch over their child at home. Either being single or both mother and father having jobs. They rely on their children being at school during this time.

Yes it's quiet disgusting. But you're over analyzing what I'm saying, I was just pointing out about how much technology is changing.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Students don't need tablets. I was a student once, I made all sorts of excuses about how a laptop would help me study, how a cellphone was useful, how a X would help me do Y. You don't need it. A pen and paper is still one of the best tools around. You can still use a laptop/tablet, but you don't need it in most classes.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Students don't need tablets. I was a student once, I made all sorts of excuses about how a laptop would help me study, how a cellphone was useful, how a X would help me do Y. You don't need it. A pen and paper is still one of the best tools around. You can still use a laptop/tablet, but you don't need it in most classes.

Why use a pen and paper if he has a stylus and a note taking app? Obviously this student is using his tablet to progress in school.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
More critically than takings notes IMO is the tablet's potential ability to replace the heavy textbooks that students are currently required to lug around.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Why use a pen and paper if he has a stylus and a note taking app? Obviously this student is using his tablet to progress in school.

Because it's a distraction. It's unnecessary and doesn't contribute anything to learning except a pricetag.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Because it's a distraction. It's unnecessary and doesn't contribute anything to learning except a pricetag.

That's why I stated earlier that I don't think it should be used in high school, due to the lack or maturity and discipline to fully concentrate on their education.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
That's why I stated earlier that I don't think it should be used in high school, due to the lack or maturity and discipline to fully concentrate on their education.

Even at university a lot of people dont have the discipline.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK

I love technology, but I agree. People shouldn't be brought up staring at screens 24/7. They should be given the chance to wait until their first job before that happens :p

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Then who's fault is that? Only a moron would pay for their education and not take advantage of everything.

Who's fault is what? You brought up maturity, I only pointed out that a tablet isn't necessary to learn effectively.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Who's fault is what? You brought up maturity, I only pointed out that a tablet isn't necessary to learn effectively.

Who's fault is it for a University student not paying attention because he's to busy playing on his tablet than using it to take notes? I know this, but like the OP mentioned, it saves paper, and another posted how it saves from carrying a ton of books around.

If I could carry all my books in my iPad and do school work from it, then I would.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.