Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple design chief Jonathan Ive has been awarded a gold badge by the BBC children's show Blue Peter, a show the British-born designer watched as a child and which encourages children to make things from ordinary household objects. Blue Peter is the world's longest-running children's television show, having been on the air for over 50 years.

bluepeter2.png
The show said that Ive was an "inspiration to children around the world". Blue Peter awards the badges to those it considers have encouraged and inspired children to develop their talents, with the gold badge awarded to Ive marking exceptional achievement.

The interview clip accompanying the BBC's article represents a rare public appearance by Ive, and it takes place in an Apple facility surrounded by equipment including a CNC machine for milling aluminum. Ive will also be featured in the half-hour Blue Peter episode airing tomorrow on CBBC.

Ive said that he had loved watching the show as a child, and described receiving the award as 'absolutely incredible'. He referenced the way the show encouraged children to make things from objects as ordinary as detergent bottles.
I loved the way there was just products that you thought were no longer useful, but reusing them. It was fantastic.
Ive in turn presented the show with a Blue Peter badge milled from a single block of aluminum, the approach famously used for the MacBook Pro.

Article Link: Jonathan Ive Inspires Child Designers, Receives BBC's Gold Blue Peter Badge Amid Apple's Aluminum Milling Machines

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Jony smiling is so cool. :D

Gotta say, I'm pretty inspired by Jony Ive too.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Jonathan Ivy - "I have selected this young man as the winner since he looks like a younger version of me, but with more hair"

Jack97

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2010
Ahh, I remember watching Blue Peter avidly as a child - even visited the set and everything! If only I'd have been young enough at the time to enter such a competition :rolleyes:

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Now can Ives inspire iOS?

That is the question we await.

----------

Yah? What were u inspired to do?

Well, not to advertise (since that's not allowed here), but I try to make my website look as clean and simple as possible, similar to how he has created sleek designs for Apple products. :)

LukeHarrison

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
I cannot imagine anything better than a giant, Unibody Blue Peter badge! And just to re-iterate the point made a few posts ago, in the UK, getting a Blue Peter badge really is quite an honour. :p

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
"...and in next week's show, we'll be showing you how you can make your very own iPhone from an empty Fairy Liquid bottle, two toilet roll centres, a tube of glue, and some sticky-back plastic...."

you people smh

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Well, not to advertise (since that's not allowed here), but I try to make my website look as clean and simple as possible, similar to how he has created sleek designs for Apple products. :)

Ohhhhh. You mean you were inspired by Google. OK, that makes sense.

Wavell

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Essex, UK
a GOLD Blue Peter Badge ! Those are rarer than hen's teeth over here in the UK. To put this great honour into context, there are more people with knighthoods than Gold Blue Peter Badges ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.