Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
Blue Peter is the name of the BBC Kids programme, and it got it's name from the maritime signals flag called the Blue Peter that is/used to be flown when a vessel was about to leave port...

yeah its funny when americans make jokes about something they know nothing about

its almost like the jokes on them;)

4D4M

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2005
Broken Britain
Ohhhhh. You mean you were inspired by Google. OK, that makes sense.

Get off his back and give up trying to sound smart... you obviously haven't seen the cluttered unfathomable UI for Adwords, AdSense, or any of their other services. They're about as far from a Jony Ive inspired design philosophy as you can get.

C

champ01

Isn't it weird?

We got Jonathan Ive saying he liked the idea of using old things for a second life.

Yet he designs stuff that you must trow away when its broken because the design makes it impossible to repair it.

Ive.. your designs may look nice but overall they suck.
Stop with your planned obsolescence designs!

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Get off his back and give up trying to sound smart... you obviously haven't seen the cluttered unfathomable UI for Adwords, AdSense, or any of their other services. They're about as far from a Jony Ive inspired design philosophy as you can get.
Thank you. I was thinking the exact same thing.

Last edited:

chedda

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2006
Underwater
Ace

Wow how sincere & humble he was, that made my day. Also great to be inside the inner sanctum with that all that epic machinery. Blue Peter Gold......

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Saw your avatar and thought - "Get down Shep!!!" :p

I love that movie! Shep that little guy. But yet there he is in the next scene running over cyclists. Absolute comic genius!

"Johny, what do you make of this?
"I can make a broach, a pterodactyl..."

you people smh

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011

GREAT POINT!!!

Some people when they hear "minimalist website" might think Google, but we know that when all the smart hip people like yourself hear "minimalist website" they think iphone....

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Isn't it weird?

We got Jonathan Ive saying he liked the idea of using old things for a second life.

Yet he designs stuff that you must trow away when its broken because the design makes it impossible to repair it.

Ive.. your designs may look nice but overall they suck.
Stop with your planned obsolescence designs!

Yeah because only Ive and Apple do this. :rolleyes:

http://www.zdnet.com/ifixit-microso...-worst-tablet-repairability-score-7000011259/

Just curious what exactly what Apple product(s) you've had to throw away?

Gaspode67

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Oxon, UK
Great stuff!

Remember the mahogany wood effect and flower patterned designs they used to make. :D

Are they still using the phrase "I'm using double-sided sticky tape for speed, but you should use glue to stick these bits together"?

Quick straw poll to the UK folk. Who watched Blue Peter, who watched Magpie, and who watched both?

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
That's fantastic. What I hope the students learn that Jonny has not:

1. A computer shouldn't cut your hand open for the sake of brilliant design.

2. Repairability is part of great design.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
OMG a real fanboy. How can I ever have a normal conversation with you.

Have you even seen the new Macbook Retina and iMac?

And who cares what Microsoft does. Go back to the iFixit site and see what scores new Apple products get. ;)

I wasn't aware that the Retina MacBook or iMac had to be thrown away if something went wrong with them. :confused:

Fulltopuk

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Are they still using the phrase "I'm using double-sided sticky tape for speed, but you should use glue to stick these bits together"?

Quick straw poll to the UK folk. Who watched Blue Peter, who watched Magpie, and who watched both?

Hated Magpie!

I wonder if the milled out BP badge will take pride of place next to Petra's bust? Or are they going to wang it into the new Blue Peter Garden at Salford?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
That's fantastic. What I hope the students learn that Jonny has not:

1. A computer shouldn't cut your hand open for the sake of brilliant design.

2. Repairability is part of great design.

Just curious what product Apple is unable to repair for someone if needed?

C

champ01

I wasn't aware that the Retina MacBook or iMac had to be thrown away if something went wrong with them. :confused:

New iMac:
With the iPad-like adhesive severed, we bust out the heavy-duty stuff.
Repair faux pas alert! To save space and eliminate the gap between the glass and the pixels, Apple opted to fuse the front glass and the LCD. This means that if you want to replace one, you'll have to replace both.
The fused display may look awesome, but at what cost, Apple? At. What. Cost!?
The cost is quickly apparent: cutting open the display destroys the foam adhesive securing it shut. Putting things back together will require peeling off and replacing all of the original adhesive, which will be a major pain for repairers.

And thats just one thing...there is more.. for you to find out what those are.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
Love it, how on earth did the Beeb get him on Blue Peter..good for him to do it and Apple's PR letting him..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.