Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
no. an iphone is allowed but all other devices are forbidden. for thinking about the possibilities you probaly have a fine of 500usd send to your home already. go think of your sins.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
no. an iphone is allowed but all other devices are forbidden. for thinking about the possibilities you probaly have a fine of 500usd send to your home already. go think of your sins.

No? It's in the "grey" area just like the ipad which means its not illegal or legal...

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
No? It's in the "grey" area just like the ipad which means its not illegal or legal...

Jailbreaking the iPhone and iPod Touch have been made legal by the 2010 and 2013 DCMA exemptions. Jailbreaking the iPad and Apple TV 2+ is illegal and always has been as set forth by the original laws within the DCMA pertaining to circumventing device encryption.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Jailbreaking the iPhone and iPod Touch have been made legal by the 2010 and 2013 DCMA exemptions. Jailbreaking the iPad and Apple TV 2+ is illegal and always has been as set forth by the original laws within the DCMA pertaining to circumventing device encryption.

I never understood how the touch got included in the exemption. As I understand it, the reason why iPhones got the exemption was so you could unlock it to use with your choice of carrier. Since touches don't have carriers, unlocking them isn't an issue. :confused:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I never understood how the touch got included in the exemption. As I understand it, the reason why iPhones got the exemption was so you could unlock it to use with your choice of carrier. Since touches don't have carriers, unlocking them isn't an issue. :confused:

They are exempted because they are explicitly stated in the exemption along with the iPhone. The iPad did not exist at the time and the Apple TV was still Mac OS X based.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
They are exempted because they are explicitly stated in the exemption along with the iPhone. The iPad did not exist at the time and the Apple TV was still Mac OS X based.

I know that. I mean why was it included? What was the reasoning behind including it in the exemption along with the iPhone?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I know that. I mean why was it included? What was the reasoning behind including it in the exemption along with the iPhone?

It was included because Saurik, the person who submitted the exemption, felt that the only other iOS device as the time should be included as well. If it was to be submitted today instead of renewed, other iOS devices would likely be included as well.

mon999

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012

maybe because it is your own damn device and you can do anything u want with it. obviously, installing cracked apps is illegal.

it is just like modifying your car.. you can do that as long as you don't install stolen parts.

Wafflausages

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Yea if you jailbreak your touch and they find out you get a 100000 fine and some jailtime. I wouldn't do it if I were you

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I am just trying to be safe, I don't want to do anything illegal. I won't install any pirated Apps. (I pay for everything even if I can get it for free by pirating it)
I still don't know if I can jailbreak legally or not :(

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth

That's what I thought. I thought I saw on the jailbreak subreddit iPod touches were in the gray area. Must've been wrong, thanks for correcting.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Who cares? Nobody is going to stop you, and you're not hurting anyone. But it is legal at the moment.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
I am just trying to be safe, I don't want to do anything illegal. I won't install any pirated Apps. (I pay for everything even if I can get it for free by pirating it)
I still don't know if I can jailbreak legally or not :(

Do you seriously think cops will arrest you for jailbreaking?:eek:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
No, but it could put a bad mark on my record.

I thought the only way for the police to put anything on your record is to arrest you. Well, they can give you tickets for traffic violations, but it isn't like there are tickets for jailbreaking your devices.

pnyc

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
If you're this seriously concerned talk to your lawyer. Otherwise grow a pair and jailbreak away. If you're so horrified of the posible consequences why would you trust the opinion of random forum posters on something that seems so scary/important to you? I'm not trying to be mean but really if you're this worried get some serious advice from a source you can depend on.

Out of curiosity are you this concerned about possibly doing something illegal in other areas of your life?

brittag

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
iPod touches are in a legal grey area in the United States, neither clearly legal nor clearly illegal. See the explanation on JailbreakQA's evasi0n help page - it includes background information useful for understanding this:

Is jailbreaking legal in the United States?

We aren't lawyers, so we can't tell you for sure, but jailbreaking seems to be OK. A law in the United States, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA), has an anti-circumvention clause which states that if there is a protection mechanism on a piece of software, a user is not allowed to bypass that protection. Jailbreaking may fall under that clause, but in 2012 the Library of Congress renewed an exemption for jailbreaking cell phones such as iPhones. A proposed exemption for jailbreaking tablets (such as iPads) was declined, but this doesn't necessarily mean that jailbreaking iPads is now illegal. It means that it's still a legal grey area - in other words, there's never been a DMCA exemption for jailbreaking iPads, and there still isn't one, but it's unclear whether the DMCA actually makes jailbreaking illegal in general. Jailbreaking iPod touches also falls into this grey area. If you are outside the United States, some countries have anti-circumvention laws with various exceptions and conditions, so please research the laws of your country to make sure jailbreaking is not prohibited for you - this may be a helpful place to start. Keep in mind that if you are pirating things, that is copyright infringement, which is illegal in most places.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.